Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New tire recommendation

Davidmarshall

Hello, i want to change stock Pirelli for more dirt oriented tires. 

I have stop my choice on the Motoz Tractionator Adventure. 

But in the Mitoz website, the rated this tires for bike weight to a max of 150kg.

Is it just a way to protect themselsf, can i mount this tires safely on my Ténéré? 

Thank you! 

received_669140310335021.jpeg

Edited by Davidmarshall
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

The bike has around 52% of its weight on the rear wheel tyre. [204kg + 85kg) rider with gear is 289kg  * 0.52 % = 150 kg.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, X Plane said:

The bike has around 52% of its weight on the rear wheel tyre. [204kg + 85kg) rider with gear is 289kg  * 0.52 % = 150 kg.

I was thinking that the weight saying on Motoz website was the total weight of the bike.. 

Good looking tyre the Tractionator, just had look at the blurb on Australia website, I too took the wieght to be the total of the bike, the following paragraph I cut an paste from the website.

NOTE: Tube Tyre Tractionator Adventure are specifically designed for single seat enduro class bikes (typically single cyclinder, single seat bikes), where riders want to cover long distance/adventure (don’t use light weight Tube Type on large multi cylinder adventure class bikes).

So....are they saying, don't use on a heavy twin cylinder, or.... Are they saying it's ok with heavy duty inner tubes, hmmmm.

Edited by Stevoh

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Davidmarshall said:

I was thinking that the weight saying on Motoz website was the total weight of the bike.. 

Seems they are taking total weight of bike < 150kg for their Tubed Tyre. 

If it had said 150kg max load printed on the tyre then the ^ above would have been true.

However, as I read their website, there now, for bikes over > 150kg they say to use their / the stronger Tubeless Tyre version (but which tubes are ok to be fitted into). 

2 hours ago, Stevoh said:

Good looking tyre the Tractionator, just had look at the blurb on Australia website, I too took the wieght to be the total of the bike, the following paragraph I cut an paste from the website.

NOTE: Tube Tyre Tractionator Adventure are specifically designed for single seat enduro class bikes (typically single cyclinder, single seat bikes), where riders want to cover long distance/adventure (don’t use light weight Tube Type on large multi cylinder adventure class bikes).

So....are they saying, don't use on a heavy twin cylinder, or.... Are they saying it's ok with heavy duty inner tubes, hmmmm.

They are saying “great road manners (wet or dry) and a load of off-road traction for the heavyweight adventure bike (150kg+) in the Tubeless version”....... (I.e. if bike > 150 kg use their tubeless tyre version which tubes can be fitted in). 

from their website, all bikes below are heavier that a Tenere 700, use their tubeless tyres with tubes in if no tubeless rims.

Bike  Wheel    Tyre Homologation Rim Size (in) Overall Dia (mm) Overall Width (mm) Tread Depth (mm)
Triumph XC800, BMW F800, Honda CRF1000L, KTM 1090, Yamaha XT660z Front TADS 90/90-21 TL DOT ECER75 (212kg) (118mph) 2.15 695 99 12
Triumph 1200 Explorer  Front TADS 110/80 B 19 TL DOT ECER75 (243kg) (118mph) 2.15-2.5  659  109  12
KTM 1190, BMW 1200GS LC, KTM 1290 Front  TADS 120/70B19 TL DOT ECER75 (250kg) (100mph) 3.5  652  118  10
Yamaha XT660z Rear TADS 130/80-17 TL DOT ECER75 (290kg) (118mph) 3  640  142  13.5
Triumph XC800, BMW F800, Triumph 1200 Explorer Rear  TADS 150/70 B 17 TL DOT ECER75 (325kg) (118mph) 4.25-4.5  642  166  15
KTM 1190, KTM 1290 Rear  TADS 170/60B17 TL DOT ECER7 (355kg) (100mph) 4.5-5.5  637  172  15.5
Yamaha TTR600, Kawasaki KLR650, KTM 690 Rear  TADS 140/80-18 TL DOT ECER75 (335kg) (118mph) 2.5-3.5  681  156  14
Honda CRF1000L, KTM 1090 Rear  TADS 150/70 B 18 TL DOT ECER75 (335kg) (118mph) 4.25-4.5  667  166  15

Guess Tenere 700 will be added to their list.
All the info is there, just requires reading, lol.

I hope that helps.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the look and description of this tyre, would be great to hear feedback from someone who has given them a shot.

I've only ever owned Enduro bikes so it's a whole new world for tyre choices now I own a Tenere, kinda doing my head in lol.

Just order a set of tractionator rallz. 

Dont know about tube or tubeless, si ill mount it, ride it and give you comments. 

• Thanks 1

This might sound crazy, but I'm kind of fond of the stock Scorpion STR's.  They are perfect on the road, grip really well and are very predictable. Great canyon carvers.   But offroad, they are a hoot. Yes, my back tire is sliding around but I actually enjoy that shet. I feel like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape, sliding my rear tire around, being chased by Germans, building up speed to jump that fence.  Ok, maybe no fence jumping but the rear tire slides around just enough to keep my blood pumping.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I have motoz tractionators fitted front & rear to my t7 with the 140 rear & have done over 2000klm 75% off road & they are awesome they hold on really good on the tar even when you are pushing pretty hard & very predictable off road in the sand & mud. just got back from a 4 day 1500klm ride taking as many dirt roads as we could & out of the 6 bikes only one bike didn't have tractionators & every one had the same positive opinion of these tyres

IMG_3515.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, manny said:

I have motoz tractionators fitted front & rear to my t7 with the 140 rear & have done over 2000klm 75% off road & they are awesome they hold on really good on the tar even when you are pushing pretty hard & very predictable off road in the sand & mud. just got back from a 4 day 1500klm ride taking as many dirt roads as we could & out of the 6 bikes only one bike didn't have tractionators & every one had the same positive opinion of these tyres

IMG_3515.JPG

Adventure or Rallyz?? 140/80/18?

Edited by DWEL700

8 hours ago, Cruizin said:

This might sound crazy, but I'm kind of fond of the stock Scorpion STR's.  They are perfect on the road, grip really well and are very predictable. Great canyon carvers.   But offroad, they are a hoot. Yes, my back tire is sliding around but I actually enjoy that shet. I feel like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape, sliding my rear tire around, being chased by Germans, building up speed to jump that fence.  Ok, maybe no fence jumping but the rear tire slides around just enough to keep my blood pumping.

Yes, I have the same feeling about them.  Just be careful on mud, where also front tire starts sliding a lot 🙂

• Like 2

Do you think I could use a Tractionator Adventure 140/80/18 on the back?

9 hours ago, manny said:

IMG_3515.JPG

Do you have the tube type or tubeless version? 

Because i have order a set of tractionator rallz, the only available front was the tubless version, and only available rear, tube type. 

both front & back have tubes, rallz on front adventure rear. the rear being 140 compared to 150 standard looks a little funny on the wide rim but it seems to work fine & I have had it up to 168kmh on gps with no problems.

Hi

Just wondering why the 140 as opposed to the 150 on the rear, is there an advantage/disadvantage?

Price is about $100.00 more for the 150.

In my case I was offered a great deal on a set but it was a 140/80/18 rear.

$300 for the pair, couldn't pass it up.

• 2 years later...
On 6/10/2020 at 1:08 AM, manny said:

IMG_3515.JPG

Tube type or tubeless motoz?