Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 M14 oil drain crush washers and Magnetic Oil drain bolt

Cruizin

Just noticed that the magnetic bolt I listed above is 13 mm long, but the stock bolt is 16 mm long. I will install this when i get it and report back.  This bolt does fir the MT07, and that is exact same engine.    Shouldn't be a problem. And, not sure if the 13mm includes the protruding magnet tip or not. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/10/2020 at 3:39 PM, Cruizin said:

Just noticed that the magnetic bolt I listed above is 13 mm long, but the stock bolt is 16 mm long. I will install this when i get it and report back.  This bolt does fir the MT07, and that is exact same engine.    Shouldn't be a problem. And, not sure if the 13mm includes the protruding magnet tip or not. 

Did you ever conclude that this drain plug will do the trick? About to do a "get the particles out" 200 mile oil change on my new baby and thought I'd add a magnetic plug if I can find one...

This one works. Expensive, but it's nicely machined with a very powerful magnet:

dim_m14x1_5x16_1

The Magnetic Drain Plug will trap floating metallic elements inside your engine to promote longer life and will come in the M14 x 1.5 thread pitch.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2020 at 8:26 AM, Desert Mariner said:

This one works. Expensive, but it's nicely machined with a very powerful magnet:

dim_m14x1_5x16_1

The Magnetic Drain Plug will trap floating metallic elements inside your engine to promote longer life and will come in the M14 x 1.5 thread pitch.

Wondering how this plug has worked out for you? The length and thread pitch are correct for the T7? Coming up on my first service and want to swap to a magnetic plug. Just want to be sure this works well before purchasing since it is a bit pricey. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

On 11/25/2020 at 5:11 AM, HoboHighlander said:

Did you ever conclude that this drain plug will do the trick? About to do a "get the particles out" 200 mile oil change on my new baby and thought I'd add a magnetic plug if I can find one...

I would like to know this too...wondering if the length of the stock plug vs. this one was ever resolved and if not, does it really matter? Price is right on Cuizin's option vs. Desert Mariner's. 

The plug I pictured is the same as the OEM plug in terms of size, thread pitch and length. The head of the bolt is smaller, but that doesn't affect the use. I prefer the smaller head as it will allow me to carry a smaller wrenches in the field for oil changes on longer trips. The dimple steel drainplugs are very strong. 

On 12/1/2020 at 12:58 PM, Desert Mariner said:

The plug I pictured is the same as the OEM plug in terms of size, thread pitch and length. The head of the bolt is smaller, but that doesn't affect the use. I prefer the smaller head as it will allow me to carry a smaller wrenches in the field for oil changes on longer trips. The dimple steel drainplugs are very strong. 

Thanks for the info. - much appreciated!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have only had it in for one ride but I can confirm that this magnetic plug does work and is right around $20 on Amazon. Pretty identical to the original in both weight and length.

Will update if any leaks occur

6F280F48-3AF6-4430-BCFE-3C628C348AB8.jpeg

588677FF-B59B-4ABE-BD77-C8A16CE225C4.jpeg

46214B53-0480-46BA-AB90-27117FD03611.jpeg

• Like 2

Data photo, it was 10.95 I think.

949E890C-1BDD-4617-B459-BCC328539CD4.jpegI added the Oil filter wrench I had to get because Yamaha specifies a torque rather than number of turns for their oil filter. I did it tight by hand to what I thought was enough and then got the wrench and it took another 1/6 or 1/5 of a turn to reach torque. I did use the lower torque figure discussed here on the forum for the drain bolt, not the high one in the bike manual.

Edited by Husafreak
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven’t noticed any. I was under the bike quite a bit changing my skid plate and then installing the Yamaha crash bars. Probably would have noticed. This bolt actually went in with a bit more friction than the OEM one.

• 9 months later...
On 8/15/2022 at 5:57 PM, TheoremX said:

I have only had it in for one ride but I can confirm that this magnetic plug does work and is right around $20 on Amazon. Pretty identical to the original in both weight and length.

Will update if any leaks occur

6F280F48-3AF6-4430-BCFE-3C628C348AB8.jpeg

588677FF-B59B-4ABE-BD77-C8A16CE225C4.jpeg

46214B53-0480-46BA-AB90-27117FD03611.jpeg

How did this work out? Any leakage? Thanks!

13 hours ago, a.potato.rider said:

How did this work out? Any leakage? Thanks!

Nope, about 1200 miles and one more oil change...zero problems. The magnet is strong, and did pull metallic debris during break in.

• Like 1