Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Canada - Wheel / Spoke Replacements

Alkali

Question

=== Update 1 ===

Well I should probably get a head start on changing my name to Bad Luck Brian lol. 

I took it for a ride today, just on small roads nothing crazy and turns out the u lock must have hit the brake lines and messed those up too. My rear brake was leaking fluid over my rear rotor and I did notice some brake fade so I'm guessing there is air in the system too. Dropped the bike off at the shop to be inspected before anything else pops up. 

I will keep updating this post as a cautionary tale for using U locks on motorcycles and forgetting to take them off. 

IMG_20200612_142251.thumb.jpg.6e816b8117db28d07644b46d728074de.jpg

IMG_20200612_140814.thumb.jpg.d309fc40f888415c689f45b991aad632.jpg

IMG_20200612_140818.thumb.jpg.a1be94f671bd3dafbb6fe23d122f1721.jpg

=== Original Post ===

Hi folks, 

I've got myself in quite the dilemma due to my own stupidity. I had a U-Lock on the rear of my motorcycle, to deter would-be thieves, and forgot about it in excitement of going on a trip. Low and behold, I ended up dropping my bike less than 1 meter from the parking spot due to it getting caught in my axle. 

😱😱😱 Of course I swore a lot, as is tradition, when I make a complete fool of myself.

Now I have a few bent spokes and one that is completely broken.

1328624599_cleanbreak2.thumb.jpg.f59f15d2701061897f9611d9351c045a.jpg

1191227090_cleanbreak1.thumb.jpg.4a19b18eb7738875161b12938ad804ca.jpg

I got a quote for a set of replacement spokes from Yamaha at $300+ CAD, and for that price, I'm wondering if I should consider just replacing the wheels all-together for a set of tubeless wheels or just cough it up and replace the spokes?

One of my considerations is with the whole Covid situation, I would prefer to order from a company in North America for less issues when it comes to shipping.

I've been looking at my options I could find below for alternative spokes & wheelsets below:

Spoke Set - Central Wheel Components UK

Spoke Set - Off-the-road.de

Wheelset - Rally Raid

Wheelset - Procycle.us

I appreciate any thoughts and advice you can share with me for what to do in this scenario!

(I'm still kicking myself for such a dumb mistake)

Edited by Alkali
Update
  • Sad 1

6 answers to this question

Ouch, really feel for you, try not to beat yourself up, at least the bike wasn't stolen 🙂

I may not be much help, however I wouldn't let COVID stop you from ordering from EU or USA, I've ordered a bunch of things in the last 2 months, even right at the start of the pandemic and got everything from those places within a week, and that was standard shipping. Even from Japan, the outex kit arrived in less than 4 days, I was surprised. Things from china however, are taking time. 

I've ordered from Rally Raid before, and things arrive very quick, when I last ordered I got the exhaust within a week. 

Try calling Adrian, he may be able to help. Also try posting in the GTA Motorcycle forum, lots of users with experience and one may just help you re-build the wheel once you have the spokes. Otherwise, I'd just get a tubeless set if money were no object, then rebuild the wheel on spare time, that way you can have a street and dirt setup, that's easy to swap

7d7319b0d0540203288975f65fb3e495?AccessK

We are a full service motorcycle shop with the latest state-of-the-art equipment. We work on most makes & models year 2000 and newer. We provide top quality workmanship, fair & competitive pricing, and superior customer service!

Edited by ScorpionT16
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ScorpionT16 said:

Ouch, really feel for you, try not to beat yourself up, at least the bike wasn't stolen 🙂

I may not be much help, however I wouldn't let COVID stop you from ordering from EU or USA, I've ordered a bunch of things in the last 2 months, even right at the start of the pandemic and got everything from those places within a week, and that was standard shipping. Even from Japan, the outex kit arrived in less than 4 days, I was surprised. Things from china however, are taking time. 

I've ordered from Rally Raid before, and things arrive very quick, when I last ordered I got the exhaust within a week. 

Try calling Adrian, he may be able to help. Also try posting in the GTA Motorcycle forum, lots of users with experience and one may just help you re-build the wheel once you have the spokes. Otherwise, I'd just get a tubeless set if money were no object, then rebuild the wheel on spare time, that way you can have a street and dirt setup, that's easy to swap

7d7319b0d0540203288975f65fb3e495?AccessK

We are a full service motorcycle shop with the latest state-of-the-art equipment. We work on most makes & models year 2000 and newer. We provide top quality workmanship, fair & competitive pricing, and superior customer service!

Thanks so much for the insight and recommendations, I'll check them out!

• Like 1

Also, may be worth a  shot to contact Lawrence Hacking with your dilemma, he was the bloke in the Canadian Horizon Tenere 700 Video, lives near Muskoka. He just posted picking up some spokes, riding around his T7 from Titan Cycles, so he may know a solution or have contacts that can help in a pinch

https://www.instagram.com/lawrencehacking/?hl=en

• Like 1

Oh wow, what are the chances! I'll definitely give him a shout thanks so much for the heads up. 

• Like 1

There was also a user on here, not sure who, they changed all the spokes on the stock rims to stainless ones due to the stock one's getting corrosion within a year. If I were you, I'd look at this like a good opportunity to do the same, esp living in Canada, with spring/fall salty roads, rather than just replacing them with the same stock Yamaha ones, get some good Stainless one's while the rest of us watch ours rust to bits lol

• Like 1

Yes that absolutely makes sense. I believe I might have seen that too here: 

I'll look at getting some ACF-50 to cope with the other problems areas too once those salty roads appear. 

Thanks for helping me look on the bright side! I'll update the thread with what I end up doing and the results 🙂