Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Shift Lever too high?

EmptyM

Does anyone else think the shift lever is too high?

Mine sits about even with the top of the footpeg.  Is this normal?

I am coming to ADV riding from the world of sport bikes (11 years), so perhaps this is normal in the ADV world, but at least in these first few days of ownership, I find myself unable to make a series of down shifts.  My size (6'3") means that the angle of my leg/ankle is such that if I lift/flex my foot as far up as possible, the lever doesn't rise enough to make the next downshift.  I find that I have to lift my heel completely off the footpeg, whenever performing a series of downshift as when coming to a light or stop sign.

I looked at adjusting the height of the lever, but noticed a small flange of metal protruding from the back of the footpeg bracket, that (appears) would prevent me from lowering the lever from its stock position.  If my heel were like an inch or so higher, I think I wouldn't be having this issue.

Normal? Just one of those ADV things I need to get used to?

Thanks all.

• Like 1

You can adjust down but only a bit as the pedal will hit the bracket and wont go into first as i found out

• Premium Member

Yep, I ran into the same issue, could not adjust the shifter low enough to feel like other bikes I've had, it seems to run out of adjustment by hitting the bracket and not being able to shift down at all. 

For now, I guess the adjustment has to be in technique, as in my adjustment to the bike vs the other way around. 

Tazmool

• Like 2

Had the same issue, you get used to it or we will have to make a new lever... But what has worked for me is taller seat.. Makes changes down easier 👍

Aleks

• Like 2

OK

Thanks everyone for the responses.. It looks like I can't ride this like I rode my Ninja 😆... and this is just something I will have to get used to.  Appreciate all the insight.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, EmptyM said:

OK

Thanks everyone for the responses.. It looks like I can't ride this like I rode my Ninja 😆... and this is just something I will have to get used to.  Appreciate all the insight.

Are you changing gears down 👇... Without lifting the foot completely from the peg? 

Try supermoto style.. Lift completely and bang down it goes... Sorry about the explanation 

😂😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aleksandar13 said:

Are you changing gears down 👇... Without lifting the foot completely from the peg? 

Try supermoto style.. Lift completely and bang down it goes... Sorry about the explanation 

😂😂

Exactly.  I am used to my sport-bike, and there I never take my heel from the peg.  So I have been shifting down, just like you described.  It just feels foreign to me (but it has only been 3 days since I got the T7), so, still getting used to with the switch to ADV riding. 

Edited by EmptyM
  • Like 1

Get a rally seat if you are tall enough... Best mod for comfort and looks plus you ride so much better with it. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

Coming from enduro riding the shift lever is to low, i been raising ita little but needs up more. The problem you have on downshift i have on upshift.

If you ride offroad never ride whith foot pointing down. If you hit anything  you brake your foot against the footpeg.

I normaly ride whith the palm of my foot on the peg if i hit anything it just gets pushed of the peg but i have to move the foot when changing gears but im so used to it i dont think about it.

(T7 is to heavy to ride serius offroad for me so far but i might try some offroading when i get used to the wheight)

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 2:44 PM, Matth said:

You can adjust down but only a bit as the pedal will hit the bracket and wont go into first as i found out

I had heard that if you adjust it to far down it makes it very hard to change gears when standing.

I did this. And the hiem joint is very close to the bracket now and I think that is as far as you can go. The rods seems to have plenty of adjustment. Dremel tool did this.

15924521492352067282464690315999.jpg

15924521677603415522963241772927.jpg

15924522366617719747254386244379.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Bringing this back up. 

So other than completely destroying the mount that hold the clutch lever, there's no way to lower the foot of the clutch lever? I see too that even in the stock position, it hits that metal. Putting on a pair of rally pegs that are lowered just slightly and you have you completely take your leg off the peg to shift down. Basically a no go when standing and rallying offload. There must be something to be able to lower that clutch foot lever, if not this is the dumbest design Ive ever seen and means I'd have to sell the bike just because of that. 

Anybody got any ideas? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Bringing this back up. 

So other than completely destroying the mount that hold the clutch lever, there's no way to lower the foot of the clutch lever? I see too that even in the stock position, it hits that metal. Putting on a pair of rally pegs that are lowered just slightly and you have you completely take your leg off the peg to shift down. Basically a no go when standing and rallying offload. There must be something to be able to lower that clutch foot lever, if not this is the dumbest design Ive ever seen and means I'd have to sell the bike just because of that. 

Anybody got any ideas? 

If this is a problem for a lot of people a new design lever will be the only way... 10mm lower than stock and then you've got plenty of adjustability... 👍

Aleks 

• Like 1

Yes to high for my size 9 foot, lowered it some and all good now even with heavy boots on. 

1 hour ago, roy826 said:

Yes to high for my size 9 foot, lowered it some and all good now even with heavy boots on. 

How did you lower it? Stock when shifting it down it already touches the brace. Cant see how to lower it without using a dremmel to remove a bunch of metal like Gearhead did, which should never be. I've owned a LOT of bikes and have never had this problem on a bike. Never not been able to adjust the foot levers.

Needing to lift my entire leg up to shift down on gears is messed up, and I have to lift my whole leg up just to upshift as well since my pegs are now lower than stock. Doing that standing cant happen, and I stand all the time offroad.

It was bad stock, and my knees were up so high with the stock pegs so I got some rally pegs from T7Rally which are awesome. They are lowered and wide and it feels soooooooo much better on my knees and legs and just the ergos. But now those levers are so high it sucks to shift.

I wonder if there's any lever that will work to drop it out there now? Or will this take a few years to design? If so, 790 Adventure R here I come. Everything about the Tenere I like, and if I only rode road and sat al the time I'd probably get use to it, but I ride offload and stand all the time and if I cant shift my bike, then it has to go. What a poor design from Yamaha. 

Anybody else have any ideas I'd love to hear it. 

Edited by johnnygolucky

I did it in the most simply and ugly way, but it works fine. I just made a cut with a grinder in the middle of a lever, looking from the top. Then I bent a lever down quite a lot. Then I welded the top cut together again (yes, I'm a terrible welder...). Hope it's visible in the photo. I use 20mm lowered foot pegs; with rally seat and 50mm risers - all that gives me the best and comfy standing/sitting position offroad I could dream of - I'm 192cm tall. 

spacer.png

Edited by łorsoł
  • Like 2

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

@łorsoł Wow! That seems like a serious design 😄 I have the same issue with my long-legged posture of 1.93 tall. What are these lowered pegs? Where can I get one of these? Also, what bar risers have you chosen ? I am aware of some but 30mm up is a max. 

In meantime I've fount this:

fsc_06_799_10000_5_xl.jpg

Noble design, valuable aluminium, ergonomic and flexible - gear lever MADE IN GERMANY by SW-MOTECH.

Would be good to compare it's height level with OEM one..

• Like 2

12 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

How did you lower it? Stock when shifting it down it already touches the brace. Cant see how to lower it without using a dremmel to remove a bunch of metal like Gearhead did, which should never be. I've owned a LOT of bikes and have never had this problem on a bike. Never not been able to adjust the foot levers.

Needing to lift my entire leg up to shift down on gears is messed up, and I have to lift my whole leg up just to upshift as well since my pegs are now lower than stock. Doing that standing cant happen, and I stand all the time offroad.

It was bad stock, and my knees were up so high with the stock pegs so I got some rally pegs from T7Rally which are awesome. They are lowered and wide and it feels soooooooo much better on my knees and legs and just the ergos. But now those levers are so high it sucks to shift.

I wonder if there's any lever that will work to drop it out there now? Or will this take a few years to design? If so, 790 Adventure R here I come. Everything about the Tenere I like, and if I only rode road and sat al the time I'd probably get use to it, but I ride offload and stand all the time and if I cant shift my bike, then it has to go. What a poor design from Yamaha. 

Anybody else have any ideas I'd love to hear it. 

I only lowered it so it was a mm off the protruded rearset piece when shifter was at its lowest point while shifting. Any lower and some metal would have to be removed on the rear set. I would like mine a little lower but not ready to break out the grinder just yet. 

6 hours ago, AnonymousGeorge said:

@łorsoł Wow! That seems like a serious design 😄 I have the same issue with my long-legged posture of 1.93 tall. What are these lowered pegs? Where can I get one of these? Also, what bar risers have you chosen ? I am aware of some but 30mm up is a max. 

Google for "bosley pegs", guy is from Czech Republic. You need to contact him directly (you can try this email: max_fx AT centrum DOT cz). I use risers from SW Motech, same pivot-kind type as ROX risers. I keep steering bar higher and more forward. 

Edited by łorsoł
  • Like 1

XRV750 / DRZ400S / G650X / 2T 200EXC / ADV990R / TIGER800XCE690R / TE510 / T700

Photos and movies: https://sites.google.com/view/lorsolek

• 3 months later...

I decided to Dremel some clearance for my shift lever today.  I have 15mm lower SW Motech Ion foot pegs installed and 

like others have found, there is minimal adjustment to lower the OEM shift lever.  I Dremel ground about 1/8” off the area 

where the shift lever hits and where the Heim joint hits the foot pegs mount plate.  It allowed me to adjust the shift lever 

to where it should be for me.  Next up is removal of the shift lever pivot bolt for a clean and grease....could it be any harder to get to👎  The Super Tenere has a similar set up (but, a lot easier to remove) and needs to be cleaned/lubed on a regular basis for clean shifts.

236F2AAE-D8A1-4756-A875-070C77BE89CD.jpeg

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Or you can get this:

Gilles Gear Lever Kit for the Yamaha Tenere 700

🙂

I could, but I am not spending $100.00 for a shift lever (now😎).  This is the only bike I’ve owned that had as little adjustment as it does.  I think it comes from the multi use of the T7 engine and the need to save $$$$ on Yamaha’s part.  The Gilles’ lever does look like a very nice mod though.

Have Dremel, will travel.

9 minutes ago, pgeldz said:

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

I could, but I am not spending $100.00 for a shift lever (now😎).  This is the only bike I’ve owned that had as little adjustment as it does.  I think it comes from the multi use of the T7 engine and the need to save $$$$ on Yamaha’s part.  The Gilles’ lever does look like a very nice mod though.

It's a bargain compared to  the SW motech one - that one is 150 🙂

• Like 1