Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dominator Header installed on my bike, reporting what I've found so far:

Tazmool

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone, 

Just a public service announcement, 
As the topic title stated, I installed my Dominator header onto my T7 last night, and took it for a ride today. 

My header is combined with a Huzar High Exit exhaust, so its a "full system".  Also, my ecu will be going out for a re-flash this week, so I only have about 200km on the combo. 

Two Problems during the install.

1.  Once installed, the outer header was touching the right-front (unused) engine lug.  I don't think this is a good thing, engine vibration could eventually damage the header wall, or maybe not.  I removed the header, tried adjusting the install, using shims and washers to move the header away from the engine no luck, I then used a dremmel to remove a mm or two of the casing aluminium (again, this lug is not used for anything, just sticks out there).  Now there is plenty of clearance. 

2.  Once everything was installed, I found out that my B&B OffRoad skid plate does not clear the header!    AAARGHHHH!!!!!!
This was, very, very dissapointing.  
The clearance issue is due to the placement of the retaining springs on the header (there are two springs, holding the header to the collector pipe), they are on the bottom of the header (facing the ground)  the interference is slight, you would never notice it untill installing a very form fitting skid plate like the B&B.   The only way to fix this, that I can see, is to cut off the spring lugs, and weld them onto the top of the header (between the header and engine, there is enough clearance).   

I don't have access to a welder that can do Stainless Steel (would need a tig probably), plus I don't want to blow holes in the brand new exhaust... 😞    (my welding skills are "meh")
So, solution for now is to re-install the oem light-duty skid plate, which clears the header perfectly.   I guess the only up-side is that the exhaust saves weight, and the oem light skid-plate is much lighter than the B&B skid plate, so savings weight.  

Riding the combo:

Db-Killers out. 

You can definitely notice a bump in performance, the bike is more lively and wheelies much easier than before. 
The bike also seems to be running lean, its burbling and back-firing a good amount on-off-on throttle, and with a closed throttle.  I would recommend doing a flash or something to adjust the fueling. 

The sound of the combo is nice, but a tad too loud/aggressive for my liking.  I was torn, as it does sound nice, but just a tad too loud.

Half way through my ride, I decided to install the dB-Killer, and the sound is FAR better imho.  Its hard to tell due to the perceived less-noise=less-power thing, but there does seem to be a slight drop in power output, but its very slight.  The bike still pulls nicely, and wheelies on command.  I think I will leave the dB-Killer in.

Conclusion:
I do like the exhaust combo, and install effort was very low, despite the bit of dremmel work needed. 
The exhaust is staying on, and the ecu is getting removed tonight and being shipped to 2WDW for a re-flash tomorrow.   
The ecu flash, hopefully will bring back a bit of the no-dB-Killer snappieness, remove the heavy engine-braking & on-off-on throttle snatchiness, remove the off-throttle backfire, and generally make the bike better all around.
In the down-time as I wait for the ecu to come back, I'll do the 1st service on the bike, maybe pull the header again and get the mounting lugs welded on top, and a few other things, as well as I have another MAJOR (unrelated) project I've had on the go for about a year now, that needs to be done this summer.  

Tazmool

• Like 2

I am running the same exact header.

I had the same contact to the unused mount on the engine, but was able to just tweak it enough to clear on mine. Putting a small spacer on the rear frame mount for the header would help best. I'm working on that myself. The bolt is long enough to allow this and I suspect about 3/16" would be perfect.

I am surprised any skid plate contacts this setup even with the springs because it actually tucks up a little tighter to the engine. I bet most skid plates will not have an issue.

Yes the volume is greater with the header than only a slip-on, but more so at idle than any other area. Every high-flow muffler makes an audible statement on these bikes.

As you noted, the bike absolutely responds positively to the increased flow. Normally I would  blame this solely on a "placebo effect", but there is no ignoring that the bike wheelies more willingly  so I can only image what will happen after tuning.

• Like 1

Thank you for sharing your experience... Mine doesn't have a header but has a short GP style exhaust.. It saved a lot of weight.... I've run it without a db killer for 1k miles and about 150 miles ago I've fitted the dB killer in and I'm impressed to say the least... Sound is perfect not on the loud side anymore and the bike I personally think has picked up torque between 4k 6k range.... 

Thinking of going rapid bike evo next and getting a lid made for the air box with Mwr filter... Sounds from the intake is way cooler then exhaust.. Just saying 😅👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please post a review once you get the ECU flashed. I'm on the verge of fitting headers and want to get rid of the Off-On snatchy throttle. 

• 4 weeks later...

My friend buy hpcorse header and muffler...if he doesnt make progrrame his ecu will it cause any damage to engine...?

Taz you mind taking photos for documentation when you get a chance? Interested in the clearance issues and how it ended up looking from the engine-side to the exhaust-side.

• 4 months later...

Anyone else have experiences to share with the Dominator header? It looks like the most affordable header option, and I’m hoping to couple it with the CamelADV high exhaust system. 

also hoping there’s no clearance issues with the Camel skid plate. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

What is the weight of the dominator header and what is the stock header...? 

Aleks 

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 6:16 AM, Vtamb81 said:

Anyone else have experiences to share with the Dominator header? It looks like the most affordable header option, and I’m hoping to couple it with the CamelADV high exhaust system. 

also hoping there’s no clearance issues with the Camel skid plate. 

On 1/10/2021 at 2:13 PM, Aleksandar13 said:

What is the weight of the dominator header and what is the stock header...? 

Aleks 

Anybody have these answers?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the process of installing the Dominator header, I’ll pair it up with the Wings exhaust that I’ve already been running.

As mentioned above, very slight contact with an unused engine lug. I’ll deal with that this week.

No problem clearing the Camel skid plate.

Hopefully in the future I’ll be able to buy the Camel high exhaust kit (minus the can) and run it with the Wings. Just waiting to hear from Corey...!!

Sorry, I didn’t weigh the headers but the difference is significant.

Edited by Burner
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

So.. Did anyone get any updates with this post? Dominator headers pictures?

• 1 year later...

I installed the Dominator 'de-cat' headers a couple of days ago - very straight forward & no issues with clearance or contact with either engine or bash plate (Yamaha heavy duty). I bought my bike 2nd hand with a 'home made' high exhaust (similar to Camel enduro style) with a SC Project slip on (with the db killer installed). 

Test ride today - bike definitely feels 'sharper' & sounds great 🙂 Only slightly louder at idle & lower rpm's, but a nice 'growl' as the revs rise - but not too loud.. No popping on over-run, & fuelling feels pretty good. I may get it re-mapped by a local tuner with a good reputation (he has tuned other bikes for me) when I feel the need to spend more $$, but not in any rush.

The headers are noticeably lighter than the original exhaust (did not weigh any parts). On the same day I re-worked the PO's exhaust bracket (now lighter & neater) & removed the pillion footpegs. All in all Im guessing over 2kg in weight removed?

Swapped bikes for a while with my mate & his DR650. He loved the T7 & said he could see one replacing both his DR & Africa Twin..

• Like 1

I weighed the stock headers (3.4kg) & the pillion pegs/brackets (1.05kg). The modified exhaust bracket was approx .2kg lighter than original.

Lets say 4.6kg removed.

Dominator headers are approx 1.5kg (from what I've read).

So, around 3kg total removed from the bike - not huge, but it all adds up! 

• 11 months later...

I installed my dominator headers today they are just loose fit at this point but look to clear motor well and seem tucked up pretty tight. My stock headers have  a copper I guess i would call it crush washer or gasket. Do I need to reuse this with the new headers? The y pipe went together with good snug fit as hoped and bolted up well. I have a R and G tail tidy with cyclopse lights and the muffler hits the bottom of the tail light even after being shimmed down 1/4-1/3 of an inch. Looking like i will need to move the tail tidy back a touch or add another spacer. seal from y pipe to enduro pipe is snug. Do I need any of that paste stuff at any of those junctions?

My enduro pipe and muffler are hp corse titanium short.

My research indicates I do need to replace or reuse that copper colored gasket. After reading it sounds like cold vaseline can be applied to get it to stick while the header pipe is being moved up into position.

I don't know what's recommended with Dominators, but the Delkevic full system I installed came with new copper header gaskets and a tube of sealing compound for the slip joints. The copper gaskets did not fit well in the head, so I reused the OEM gaskets (used a bit of grease to hold them in the head during assembly) and they seem fine; however, my factory header bolts seemed quite under-torqued when I pulled the stock headers which would have crushed the gaskets less.

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

Thanks for the info. What sealant would be best for the slip joints? Is it really needed? Like I said zero instructions with the headers. They do seem good quality and fit seems good so far.

If your system's joints clamp together tightly, I don't really think the sealant is necessary, but it probably does help prevent leaks. Do very minor leaks downstream of the O2 sensor matter much? - seems unlikely. However, if you do want to use something, a high temp RTV like Permatex Ultra Copper might be what you're after. 

Tusk crash bars/pannier & top racks/hardcases/footpad/Olympus tank bag, Rox risers, fleabay tail tidy, Delkevic full exhaust w/ 14" carbon oval can

406t7, Thanks for the info. That is kind of the thought of most online as well. If good snug fit with good clamps probably dont need the sealant.

• 2 weeks later...

Install completed and it went together well. As stated above Dominator headers cleared the engine mounts and my skid plate was able to be installed with no fit issues. No sealant was used at the header midpipe junction as it was a very snug/good fit and after running the bike no evidence of a leak is present. My r and g tail tidy with cyclops taillights did not line up without modifying the height of the muffler. I had to build a  drop down  bracket maybe 1/2 inch drop to get the muffler below the tail light. Hp corse short  enduro bend and dominator headers quality were both good. If you do a flash and o2 delete you will need a 12mmx 1.25 bung plug or guess you could just leave the o2 sensor in but unplugged. Sounds good. Not loud at all just a little deeper and better.