Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

2020 Klim Carlsbad Review

close range

2020 Klim Carlsbad Review

First off, I have owned a 2019 version of the Klim Carlsbad jacket since late 2018 and have used it extensively in all conditions up here in the Pacific Northwest. I paid for that jacket out of my own pocket at full price after extensive research on what jacket would be best for me. 

Second, thanks to tenere700.net I had the chance to upgrade to the 2020 Klim Carlsbad and I wanted to offer the following review:

First impressions:

The 2019 Carlsbad is black and size Large

IMG_5846.jpeg

IMG_5861.jpeg

The 2020 Carlsbad I chose is Blue/Grey with red accents and is size Medium

IMG_5877.jpeg

IMG_5901.jpeg

Here are some side by side pictures:

A note on the fitment, the 2020 Carlsbad seems to fit a half size larger then the previous model. This has been many other reviewers experience as well. For me the 2020 medium was an improved fit, it immediately feels better with only a single layer underneath, and still there is enough room to layer my heated jacket or mid-layer. Also, by removing the armour from both models I can wear a Dainese body armour pressure suit and wear the Carlsbad over top.

IMG_5905.jpeg

IMG_5904.jpeg

The 2020 Carlsbad has D30 Level 2 armour, in contrast to the previous version's D3o Level 1. There is a clear visual difference and the Level 2 armour is heavier and thicker.

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5834.jpeg

IMG_5832.jpeg

IMG_5838.jpeg

After test fitting, wearing around the house, and commuting a few days (200kms total) I can offer the following observations:

- The 2020 Carlsbad's venting system is a massive improvement in usability and effectiveness over the previous model. 

- The sleeves on both the 2019 Large and 2020 Medium are 1 1/2" too long for me. This results in some bunching up in the arms but its not really a bother. 

-The 2020 has more adjustability for armour placement in the arms and it helped me get the armour better placed.

-The breast pocket on the 2020 (with Klim logo on it) is just big enough to fit a Garmin Inreach Mini.

-The Carlsbad offers a great mixture of protection, mobility, and versatility. It was my personal choice in 2018 and the newer model is even better.

Once I put some more miles on, including time off-road I will post up more observations.

CR

Edited by close range
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

@close range

I also want to get the Carlsbad in that color but I would like to get the black pants. Do you think those would go together or not that well?

Almost no real life pics around from this color scheme...

I just bought a set. I really like it expect the arms are too long. I don't know who Klim uses as a base model but I think hey are part orangutan.  

On 7/27/2021 at 2:08 PM, OK185 said:

@close range

I also want to get the Carlsbad in that color but I would like to get the black pants. Do you think those would go together or not that well?

Almost no real life pics around from this color scheme...

I wore mine with black pants and a I liked the way it looked

On 3/12/2021 at 6:15 PM, Sherif said:

Would love to hear your updated thoughts after riding more in the 2020 Carlsbad!

Update: after 5000kms in the jacket, through all 4 seasons I chose to sell it and replace it with a Klim Marrakesh jacket and I use a goretex over shell for rain or wind protection. I greatly prefer the layering philosophy, plus the Klim Marrakesh feels like a second skin. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, close range said:

Update: after 5000kms in the jacket, through all 4 seasons I chose to sell it and replace it with a Klim Marrakesh jacket and I use a goretex over shell for rain or wind protection. I greatly prefer the layering philosophy, plus the Klim Marrakesh feels like a second skin. 

Oh man. This is too funny. Since I last asked, I ended up buying it and getting too hot.  Now I’m wearing Marrakesh + waterproof shell. What bizarre world is this?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2021 at 5:39 AM, close range said:

Thanks for this info because I was just about to buy it and was not sure if it suited me because I get hot easily... 😄

are you still using GoreTex pants combined with the layering solution for the upper body?

I think I might combine waterproof pants with an airy jacket. 

@OK185 For pants I mostly use the Klim Switchback plus a lightweight Goretex outer layer for rain/wind protection. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone lives in hot climate ( like south east Queensland Australia) the klim baja rocks . 
i tried the Carlsbad 

it was too hot 

• Moderators
On 7/31/2021 at 8:39 PM, close range said:

Bummer on having to replace the Carlsbad with a lighter model and like many of us, finding Goldilocks gear can sometimes be an expensive journey.   Could you expound on the reasons for selling the Carlsbad,  i.e. temps/ humidity encountered  that pushed you to change it out?  I'm in the opposite camp in not wanting to deal with layers and if a jacket has a decent amount of waterproof vents, I can live with it. Thanks for your observations. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

1 hour ago, AZJW said:

Bummer on having to replace the Carlsbad with a lighter model and like many of us, finding Goldilocks gear can sometimes be an expensive journey.   Could you expound on the reasons for selling the Carlsbad,  i.e. temps/ humidity encountered  that pushed you to change it out?  I'm in the opposite camp in not wanting to deal with layers and if a jacket has a decent amount of waterproof vents, I can live with it. Thanks for your observations. 

To add a bit info on this thread as I also use the Carlsbad ('19 model).

This summer I was lucky to test it on the heat (30C - 45C) of Greek summer...

My personal exeprience irregardesly of personal comfort with heat is that any sort of ride that requires physical effort on temperatures above 35C is prohibiting due to intense sweating and dehydration.

My feeling while riding in more technical terrain is that the jacket in low speed does not have enough venting to help evaporative cooling of the body.

Regarding riding in high temperatures (> 40C) on tarmac I would say is manageable with the vents.

I hope this helps...

• Like 1

I bought a new Carlsbad jacket back in May and can't wait to try it out in the upcoming colder months.  I'm also not a fan of lots of layers.  The Carlsbad is a solid jacket. 

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 1