Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Gear position switch issue.

slawmir

Not a big thing, just to  let you know, there was an issue with gear position switch in my T7. It started about three weeks ago. When engine was cold all  gear numbers were displayed properly on multi-function meter unit. After approximately 10 to 15 minutes of ride,  there was nothing displayed on first and sixth gear. Every time the engine warmed up to about 80 degrees Celsius, was the same, empty display where the gear number should be shown. Today, I was  at Yamaha service and they exchanged the gear position switch for a new one. Now, after about two hours of ride no issues at all.🙂    

Edited by slawmir
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, UtahJack said:

How many miles do you have on the bike?

A little above 7000 km.  I try to avoid tarmac as much as it is possible, so about half of the mileage is done off road.

• Thanks 1

seen a couple people had this issue on facebook, personaly have no issues on mine and ive done 2500 miles so far seen peoples failing with less mileage.

Edited by iKeoxD
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/20/2020 at 2:59 AM, slawmir said:

Not a big thing, just to  let you know, there was an issue with gear position switch in my T7. It started about three weeks ago. When engine was cold all  gear numbers were displayed properly on multi-function meter unit. After approximately 10 to 15 minutes of ride,  there was nothing displayed on first and sixth gear. Every time the engine warmed up to about 80 degrees Celsius, was the same, empty display where the gear number should be shown. Today, I was  at Yamaha service and they exchanged the gear position switch for a new one. Now, after about two hours of ride no issues at all.🙂    

I've done just 1500kms and when the engine temp. get to about 80 deg.cel. I'm experiencing the same problem with 5th gear not being displayed.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 6:30 AM, wilky11111 said:

I've done just 1500kms and when the engine temp. get to about 80 deg.cel. I'm experiencing the same problem with 5th gear not being displayed.

How is it now?  Did you replace the switch also?

36 minutes ago, ADVUSA said:

How is it now?  Did you replace the switch also?

Nothing has changed. I'm going to do a warranty replacement on my next service.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I have experienced the same, but only with the first gear.

I'll talk to the shop about that next year.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

Edited by qInvention
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I've had this issue with my 2015 FZ-07, tired cleaning it and it would work for a ride or two, I stretched the spring (that pushes the pin that makes contact with the sensor) that worked for about half a summer, finally bought a new one but I had to wait 3 months for it and I sold the bike so I'm keeping it for my, future, T7 🙂

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Seakan said:

Yes, I've had this issue with my 2015 FZ-07, tired cleaning it and it would work for a ride or two, I stretched the spring (that pushes the pin that makes contact with the sensor) that worked for about half a summer, finally bought a new one but I had to wait 3 months for it and I sold the bike so I'm keeping it for my, future, T7 🙂

Before I went to the Yamaha service to replace the gear position switch for a new one I tried to clean it too, but it did not worked.

Most of the times the issue with the gear position switch is cold solder joint. When the engine is cold the sensor works correctly, but when it gets higher temperature the solder joint loses the electric conductance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slawmir said:

Before I went to the Yamaha service to replace the gear position switch for a new one I tried to clean it too, but it did not worked.

Most of the times the issue with the gear position switch is cold solder joint. When the engine is cold the sensor works correctly, but when it gets higher temperature the solder joint loses the electric conductance. 

Yeah you're right, the fault was in the sensor itself, inside the "poting compound" 

I’ll have to look I assumed the components for this  were  inside the motor, that’s interesting that it is not. Is the gear switch something easy to change out then? 

Mike

On 1/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, MikeCMP said:

I’ll have to look I assumed the components for this  were  inside the motor, that’s interesting that it is not. Is the gear switch something easy to change out then? 

Mike

Yes,  it's very easy. It is under the front sprocket cover over the sprocket. Just two  screws and the gear position switch is disassembled. 🙂

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sebti said:

is it the same sensor than neutral?

Yes, it is the same sensor.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Now its my turn..... 6000km and 5 gear are gone on the gear indecator  when the engine is warm😓

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Poor solders on the gear position sensor. Mine had problems that didn’t solve only with cleaning, so I rebuild the whole sensor removing the black epoxy and found only cold solder, to be honest 6 wires of seven came apart. That’s the problem even if you change with a new sensor if it’s built bad. Poor soldering job when the bike warms doesn’t make contact so you lose gear indicator.

I had problem with my first gear, while bike heating up I lose my first gear indicator. Make some

hot soldering job and a new epoxy cover.

After rebuild job everything works fine 👍🏻

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

YES…..It was the gear position sensor, and it is fixerad now…. I lost 5 and 6th gear position in the dashboard but now the problem is gone! 👍😃

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaning the external contacts did nothing for me.

Removing all that weird plastic resin and resoldering all the contacts worked a treat. 

On 7/4/2021 at 6:56 PM, WalterT said:

19500 and 5th. Service in a couple of weeks.

My gear sensor was replaced under warranty, without any fuss from the dealer @20k km.

On 12/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, qInvention said:

I have experienced the same, but only with the first gear.

I'll talk to the shop about that next year.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

I've only just spotted this thread and mine does exactly the same. 1st gear shows until the engine temp gets to about 75C and then it just disappears from the display for the rest of the ride.  All the rest of the gears show, but not 1st. I'll get down to the dealers. 7,500 miles or so in my bike. It's been doing it for the past 6 months or so.

Thanks for posting all on this thread.

Rich

Oh yes,  thanks for reminding me. By now, my 6th gear is also gone when the engine has reached operating temperature. 

As said, I'll talk to the dealer about it. As the bike performs perfectly well for the rest, I wasn't in a hurry to get that sorted out.

Failure of the GP sensor due to soldering problems is a known issue across all the CP2 engines. Fortunately it's one of very few issues and fairly easy to rectify. It's surprising that Yamaha haven't got to grips with the inadequate soldering by now - they must have replaced a lot of sensors under warranty on the FZ/MT 07, Tracer 700, XSR700....

Edited by Tigerjohn