Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dash controller

T7lee

So apart from being able to switch off the Abs the dash controls are pretty much usless, its big, its bulky, its mono & its got to go.

I will be swapping it out for a much much smaller digital speedo only & a small single switch for the Abs. 

If anyone has a good digital speedometer model then please recommend. 

Cheers. 

• Confused 2

I wasn't a fan of the instruments when I first saw them, (it reminded me of the original monochrome Nintendo Gameboy) especially after seeing the new Africa Twin and Ducati Multistrada instruments (both bikes I was considering before getting the T7). But after living with it I find it really easy to read and great for its intended purpose and it has much more info than just a speedo. I'm not sure how you will go deleting it because it's part of the CAN bus network on the bike. In my experience with automobile CAN bus systems, you can't just delete a module without causing all sorts of problems. If the other modules are expecting to "see" the instruments there, and it's not, they are not going to be happy. It also depends on the configuration of the CAN bus on the bike, which is impossible to tell by the wiring diagrams alone, the CAN bus might not work at all without it.

You also may not be able to just wire in a small single switch for the ABS if this signal is sent by the CAN bus.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 2

Settled on the trail tech cluster. 

You don't need to delete software you just need to tick it in thinking its doing its job. 

All i need is speed & odo, the kills switch for abs & at a push a low feul indicator.

I've never looked at the dash to see what gear im in or what revs I'm pulling, never used a trip meter either, don't need a light to tell me my full beam is on.. Its all pointless gizmos imho. 

The trail tech device offers all i need and makes space for a roadbook without seating it too high in the field of view. 

I need to keep this bike road legal for the purpose of getting it where i need it, other than that its a pure off road machine. 

If it's pretty much an offroad only machine why even bother keeping the ABS? (Unless you need it for rego, like we do in Australia) You could save a stack of weight by removing all the ABS gear. One of the lights that can be very important is the blinker indicator light. Plenty of bike riders have been seriously injured or killed because they unintentionally left their blinker on. Most of the Trail Tech units have blinker indicators built  in these days anyway.

Edited by Whitey66
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T7lee said:

So apart from being able to switch off the Abs the dash controls are pretty much usless, its big, its bulky, its mono & its got to go.

I will be swapping it out for a much much smaller digital speedo only & a small single switch for the Abs. 

If anyone has a good digital speedometer model then please recommend. 

Cheers. 

Maybe you could try if a MT-07 dash works and mount it on the top bar-clamp from RallyRaid

1 hour ago, Whitey66 said:

If it's pretty much an offroad only machine why even bother keeping the ABS? (Unless you need it for rego, like we do in Australia) You could save a stack of weight by removing all the ABS gear. One of the lights that can be very important is the blinker indicator light. Plenty of bike riders have been seriously injured or killed because they unintentionally left their blinker on. Most of the Trail Tech units have blinker indicators built  in these days anyway.

Yes need to keep it, eu standards, will fail an MOT without it. 

• 3 years later...

Holy revival. Did you ever finish this project and what parts did you use?

Edited by Lajning
  • Like 1