Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Klim, Expensive but still a fan boy

Idarex

Disclaimer...  Klim is a SE Idaho company and I firmly believe in buying local whenever possible.

I do wear Dakar off road.  I hadn’t planned on buying any of the ADV gear.  What sold me on Klim was their boots and helmet.

I bought a Krios and the GTX boots for 3 weeks in Peru.  Plan was bomb around the Andes on dirt roads and go as far as we could go in the Amazon basin.  The Krios was the first helmet I have ever owned that I could wear all day and not have to take off at rest stops or gas stops.  That’s how light and comfy it is.

We got on and off the plane wearing our riding gear and carrying a carry on back pack and a helmet.  The shoes I had on were it for 3 weeks.  The Klim GTX boots kept my feet warm and dry from 14k feet to the Amazon River at sea level.  I hiked Machu Picchu all day and never wished I was wearing something else.

That said, let’s talk Carlsbad ADV gear.  Overpriced to be sure but worthwhile all the same.  I’ve put 2000 miles on mine and here is what I think.

1.  Heavy Heavy Heavy when you first pick it up and put it on.  I think that’s on account of the D3O.

2.  Ok from 30 degrees to 100 degrees.  Layering of course.  Use electric layers if you want to go lower.  Higher and you’re just going to suffer.

3.  Runs large compared to Dakar gear.  I think the Carlsbad uses old guy 32 inches versus Dakar which uses young guy 32 inches.  I had to return my Large Jacket and 34 pants for Medium and 32 Short.

4.  What to Love:  The large vertically zippered chest pocket on the left side is the exact size as folding maps...  Stinking Genius!! 

4.1. More Love:  There are loops in the collar to latch it open on the shoulders.  Brilliant for warm weather.  Every jacket needs these.

5.  Carry much?   A work in progress... For CC guys, I carry a CC holster under the hip strap on my Dakar gear.  You can cover it with an untucked jersey.  That keeps it clean and people never notice it.

You can carry the same way with the Carlsbad but I haven’t worn a Jersey with the Carlsbad.  The cargo pockets in the jacket/pants easily fit a CC or Compack, not so much a full size.  The pant cargos have a zipper covered by a Velcro flap.  The jacket cargos only have the Velcro flap.  I still haven't figured out an optimal CC plan.

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3998.jpg

IMG_3997.jpg

IMG_3996.jpg

IMG_3993.jpg

IMG_3992.jpg

IMG_3995.jpg

IMG_3994.jpg

IMG_3983.jpg

Edited by Idarex
  • Like 6

I'm becoming a Klim fanboy, only buying my first piece of Klim gear in 1/2019. I just though they were overpriced gear and some of their styling not to my taste, but it's growing on me. I knew their gear was top notched.

I just have a Klim Induction Touring jacket with D30 lvl2 for the SOCAL heat and my ride adventures in Southeast Asia humidity.

Now that  I will have the T7 soon, I've been eyeing the Klim Krios Pro helmet I'll have to find a dealer that has one in the showroom to try the fit first. I'm looking for a new lightweight helmet with great ventilation + safety of course.

I need a little more coverage and protection than what the GTX boots provide. I like my Forma Terra EVO boots.

I've been trying to get a Klim Nac Pak, but it's sold out everywhere.

1 hour ago, REDHORSECA said:

I like my Forma Terra EVO boots.

Agreed. Absolutely loving my Forma Terra boots. Can wear them all day long, even just sitting around the fire after a long ride. 

I do have one complaint on the GTX boots.  The sole could be stiffer.  Standing on the OEM pegs gets old after a short spell.

I tried a friends Tech 7 on 10 days ago.  They were comfortable.  I’m considering those or the Leatt 5.5 boots.   I’ve got Tech 1 but never wear them as I don’t like them.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think Klim is way over-priced for what it is. I can only afford the Dakar pants and despite being on my third pair ( the first were cut off me by the rescue paramedics ) I get annoyed with the knee armour location. They never sit right with knee braces.

I use a Dririder jacket and am more than happy with it. The thermal and waterproof liners were relegated to the cupboard. When it is cold I use a merino long teeshirt and when it is looking like rain I just use a cheap industrial raincoat over the top.

When the Klim pants are worn out I will also look at the Dririder.

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

Lots of things look over priced if you can’t afford it. 

With a 5 year warranty, great design, tip level fabrics and strong build, a lot of the Klim range as great value for money. Not cheap, value for money.

Badlands suit has worked very well for me on the extended trips that I’ve been fortunate enough to take.

On 6/23/2020 at 1:40 PM, Idarex said:

I do have one complaint on the GTX boots.  The sole could be stiffer.  Standing on the OEM pegs gets old after a short spell.

I tried a friends Tech 7 on 10 days ago.  They were comfortable.  I’m considering those or the Leatt 5.5 boots.   I’ve got Tech 1 but never wear them as I don’t like them.

What do you think of your Klim Krios helmet, I have the same one as you.  I have to say that I'm dissapointed with it, the peak is useless at shielding your eyes from the sun and the visor is rubbish.  The weight or lack of it is excellent though but overall my Arai Tour-X is a much better helmet.

I went for Klim as my riding suit has been superb, perhaps they're not so good at making helmets 😙

I am a believer in the Carlsbad after a trip to New Mexico when it rained and or snowed 5 out of 5 days in temps from 30-50 and I stayed completely dry and comfy with only base layers and a fleece on..

• Like 3

On 7/5/2020 at 6:29 AM, boboneleg said:

What do you think of your Klim Krios helmet, I have the same one as you.  I have to say that I'm dissapointed with it, the peak is useless at shielding your eyes from the sun and the visor is rubbish.  The weight or lack of it is excellent though but overall my Arai Tour-X is a much better helmet.

I went for Klim as my riding suit has been superb, perhaps they're not so good at making helmets 😙

I love my Krios.  I can wear it all day without taking it off.  I've never had a helmet that I didn't take off every time I stopped for gas or a rest.

I dislike that the chin bar has a faux vent and not a real one.

I am having trouble with the visor this last big ride.  it doesn't close all the way.  I just got home yesterday so I haven't taken it apart to troubleshoot.

36 minutes ago, Idarex said:

I love my Krios.  I can wear it all day without taking it off.  I've never had a helmet that I didn't take off every time I stopped for gas or a rest.

I am having trouble with the visor this last big ride.  it doesn't close all the way.  I just got home yesterday so I haven't taken it apart to troubleshoot.

The new Krios Pro does have much better vents especially the chin vent. 

On either the visor can be removed  and the helmet comes with covers you install for use without the visor.

I had mine over a year before I realized that it came with them in the box..

tapatalk_1564367353976.jpeg

19 hours ago, Idarex said:

The screws that hold the visor mounts on each side of the helmet can come loose.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Idarex nice review. I like that you added info about concealed carry options.  I recently got a set of the Klim Carlsbad gear too.  I only have 100 miles on them but the fit was true to size.  

• 3 months later...

Scrolled all the way through and was going to ask where it was made and the answer was there. Brands just don't mean much nowadays.

56 minutes ago, DORTx2 said:

Is Idaho that dangerous that you have to carry a gun while riding around on the bike? That is absolutely insane to me.

Grizzly, Cougar and big ass wolves abound here in Idaho when ya ride off road. I also wear one here when dirtbiking or snowmobiling. 

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

Grizzly, Cougar and big ass wolves abound here in Idaho when ya ride off road. I also wear one here when dirtbiking or snowmobiling. 

Bear spray has been proven to be much more effective in defending against wild animals compared to firearms. Also a lot cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daily carrier also (CCW) every day, even on a motorcycle off-roading. I never leave home without it. Just another tool I carry, like a spare inner tube.

Main concern is running into unsavory two legged upright critters. There are folks out  in the middle of nowhere that are cooking drugs, traffic'ing, grow farms, etc..

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DORTx2 said:

Is Idaho that dangerous that you have to carry a gun while riding around on the bike? That is absolutely insane to me.

No explaination/justification is required for a law abiding person to lawfully exercise their rights. 

Focus your attention rather on the CRIMINALS. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Limey said:

Actually it’s made in China, Korea, Vietnam, Sweden,

Ok, I have no way to research that. What I do know, is when I considered replacing my aging Gore-Tex Primaloft snowmobile jacket, I was very disappointed to see what began as a premium (quality) brand had sold out and the Keweenaw jacket was Chinese manufactured. No sale.

Still wearing my 1996 Chlorophyl Canadian made, Ski-Doo branded jacket.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, concours said:

I was very disappointed to see what began as a premium (quality) brand had sold out to China

isnt this the truth for SO many brands:
Cold Steel
Buck
Motorola
GE Appliances

Pirelli  (yes, the tires)
Levis

the list goes on

When gear shopping, make sure what you are buying is quality made, even if the factory is in Zangchau

My beloved Scorpion Helmets are made in china - so with searching, you can find companies that have quality control and a good product.

Sadly, Remington is in Chapter 11.    so many American Icons - poof!  

IF you can find locally sourced, even better - that supports riders?  Made by riders, sold by riders  (like, uhm, Camel ADV)  support em when ya can

• Like 2

When I got into riding, I asked my buddy about what gear I should buy and that I didn't want to spend time swapping gear and whatnot till I found something I liked. He pointed me to Klim. I bought the Traverse set and I haven't looked back. The quality in material is something else, and I love how easy they are to keep clean. After a day in the mud, I let them dry then I can take a garment brush and just brush them clean again. They are pretty windproof which makes them really easy to layer; add in a good thermal layer and I've been comfortable riding in 30 degree snowing weather (though, I dont make riding when its snowing a habit). 
Klim gear is definitely worth it. 

Edited by EODTenere
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, EODTenere said:

When I got into riding, .... Klim.

crap - I am old - Klim was founded in 1999, I started riding in 1977.
my first:
set of gloves were Wells Lamont (tm) work gloves - with the red bead
helmet was a hand-me-down Bell open face
jacket was a sweatshirt form my high school track team
boots were Justin ropers

when I started racing, the CRRC in Texas required a leather jacket, but you could do your first 2 races with 2 pair of jeans.
By that time, I had the classic black leather biker jacket. - which I promptly lowsided in practice
two days later bought a set of Dainese Speed 3 full leathers, a Shoei helmet - still used the Wells Lamont Gloves.

My Klim Badlands?  without a doubt?  the BEST Jacket I've ever owned.
Paired with some Klim Dakar pants, CE armor, fox knee guard (not brace)  
its good kit!

• Like 2