Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ca only model?

AZJW

Question

• Moderators

Can anyone confirm with a unique VIN that Yamaha builds a California only model T700?  I'm getting OTD quotes from a number of CA dealers around $12,500 to $13K.  Seeing others here posting OTD prices at $11K and below has me wanting to search elsewhere than this Commie controlled state.   The main issue is bringing in a new out of state bike with less than 7500 miles gets really messy, really quick when dealing with the DMV. If Yamaha builds only a 50 state model, it might be worth pursuing an out of state purchase.  Any Californian done this with a T700?

Edited by CAJW
  • Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

2 hours ago, CAJW said:

Can anyone confirm with a unique VIN that Yamaha builds a California only model T700?  I'm getting OTD quotes from a number of CA dealers around $12,500 to $13K.  Seeing others here posting OTD prices at $11K and below has me wanting to search elsewhere than this Commie controlled state.   The main issue is bringing in a new out of state bike with less than 7500 miles gets really messy, really quick when dealing with the DMV. If Yamaha builds only a 50 state model, it might be worth pursuing an out of state purchase.  Any Californian done this with a T700?

You don't need a unique VIN to confirm they built CA compliant bikes.  They have separate model designations for CA and Non-CA bikes.

Sounds like those dealers are trying to screw you...not the State.  Prices are all over the place due to dealer "fees".  Some have en some don't.  My dealer stated MSRP+ freight+tax title etc.  I'll have to see how that all works out but should be well under 12k.

J

• Moderators

Goldentaco, Agreed, looks like "stealer" greed for sure, thanks for confirming that there are two models produced.   My local dealer (Merced Powersports)  didn't respond to my Reservation # ( didn't even try) so looks like September or later for me. Please post your final OTD price and dealer, maybe I'll take a drive to the bay area to shop for a bike as the LA Boys are adding really high "administrative " fees. I got a quote from Wheels in motion in Chatsworth that included a $1590 ADM fee, bringing the total to $12,821 with my local tax rate of 7.75%.  The dealer in Temucula just quoted me even higher at $13,029.41 OTD! 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

So the ca bikes are tuned different or added emissions controls?

Edited by Saskten

1 hour ago, Saskten said:

So the ca bikes are tuned different or added emissions controls?

As far as i can tell usually it's the addition of a Charcoal Canister and or Fuel tank modifications to allow for extra venting or routing of fuel it it overflows.  For example on the WR250R,  the OEM fuel tank for CA bikes held 1.9gal vs the 2.01gal of the non-CA bikes.  This was due to some plumbing in the tank associated with the Charcoal Canister.  RE: Fueling, I doubt anything is different there.

I haven't seen the US Owner manual yet to see if the fuel quantity is different but on the parts diagrams, you can see the Charcoal Canister and some tubing which is not on the non-CA models.

J

11 hours ago, Cruizin said:

You can't register a non Cali bike in Cali. Those are some high prices you are quoting, but then again California seems to charge extra for everything.

Yeah, that's typical California pricing. It's expensive to run a business in Kalifornia = higher prices. I was quoted $12.5 OTD price.

3 hours ago, CAJW said:

Goldentaco, Agreed, looks like "stealer" greed for sure, thanks for confirming that there are two models produced.   My local dealer (Merced Powersports)  didn't respond to my Reservation # ( didn't even try) so looks like September or later for me. Please post your final OTD price and dealer, maybe I'll take a drive to the bay area to shop for a bike as the LA Boys are adding really high "administrative " fees. I got a quote from Wheels in motion in Chatsworth that included a $1590 ADM fee, bringing the total to $12,821 with my local tax rate of 7.75%.  The dealer in Temucula just quoted me even higher at $13,029.41 OTD! 

Have you tried Modesto Yamaha or Clawson in Fresno? I use to live in California and I think they may be better dealers. Good luck! Oh ya, you might try the dealer in Tracy,  I think they are pretty good.

Edited by SKIPNOMAD
grammer

• Moderators
2 hours ago, SKIPNOMAD said:

Have you tried Modesto Yamaha or Clawson in Fresno? I use to live in California and I think they may be better dealers. Good luck! Oh ya, you might try the dealer in Tracy,  I think they are pretty good.

Thanks, but Modesto Yamaha went out of business quite awhile ago and Clawson was not responsive to my calls. I even spoke to Clawson's Sales Manager about the poor followup by his sales staff so he said he'd help me. Confirmed my email and said he'd send me their OTD price. Two plus weeks later...........nothing.

3 hours ago, CAJW said:

Thanks, but Modesto Yamaha went out of business quite awhile ago and Clawson was not responsive to my calls. I even spoke to Clawson's Sales Manager about the poor followup by his sales staff so he said he'd help me. Confirmed my email and said he'd send me their OTD price. Two plus weeks later...........nothing.

You might try the Tracy Yamaha dealer and let them know what has been happening to you.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

You don't need a unique VIN to confirm they built CA compliant bikes.  They have separate model designations for CA and Non-CA bikes.

Sounds like those dealers are trying to screw you...not the State.  Prices are all over the place due to dealer "fees".  Some have en some don't.  My dealer stated MSRP+ freight+tax title etc.  I'll have to see how that all works out but should be well under 12k.

J

I'm pretty sure the "CA" in the model numbers is for Canada.  It wouldn't make sense for Yamaha to make a California specific bike. The USA bike is a 50 state street legal bike.

The california dealers are another issue... finding a good cali dealer is hard to come by.  I wouldn't pay a dime over $11,500 after freight, taxes, title and and the destination fee. 

-Fellow angry californian 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SantacruzT100 said:

I'm pretty sure the "CA" in the model numbers is for Canada.  It wouldn't make sense for Yamaha to make a California specific bike. The USA bike is a 50 state street legal bike.

The california dealers are another issue... finding a good cali dealer is hard to come by.  I wouldn't pay a dime over $11,500 after freight, taxes, title and and the destination fee. 

-Fellow angry californian 

I guess my dealer ordered me a Canadian bike then...

Yamaha adds a "C" in the Model code to denote a California compliant bike.  Look on page 9 or near the front of the manual and you'll see the Emissions info clearly stating emission hose routing for California bikes only.  They are different than other bikes. XTZ7MCW is the code for a CA compliant White model.  From the parts diagrams, the CA and Non-CA models I can't tell that there is anything different.  Usually it'll list a portion of an assembly that is "For CAL" designated.  The Tenere appears the same across the two model designators so I'm not sure why they would differentiate.  Both versions have Charcoal canisters according to the diagrams.

1305201183_ScreenShot2020-06-23at8_04_08PM.thumb.png.5a385282dc392a9af7849e35269d0ba8.png

I can't find a US model Owner Manual yet.  Does anyone have a link to it?  Looks like I'm waiting another week for my T7.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

I guess my dealer ordered me a Canadian bike then...

Yamaha adds a "C" in the Model code to denote a California compliant bike.  Look on page 9 or near the front of the manual and you'll see the Emissions info clearly stating emission hose routing for California bikes only.  They are different than other bikes. XTZ7MCW is the code for a CA compliant White model.  From the parts diagrams, the CA and Non-CA models I can't tell that there is anything different.  Usually it'll list a portion of an assembly that is "For CAL" designated.  The Tenere appears the same across the two model designators so I'm not sure why they would differentiate.  Both versions have Charcoal canisters according to the diagrams.

1305201183_ScreenShot2020-06-23at8_04_08PM.thumb.png.5a385282dc392a9af7849e35269d0ba8.png

I can't find a US model Owner Manual yet.  Does anyone have a link to it?  Looks like I'm waiting another week for my T7.

J

that's good info, thanks. I guess my dealer is blowing smoke. They said they ordered me the  XTZ7MW, but maybe that's why it hasn't arrived yet... 

Maybe one of the Yamaha reps can chime in on this thread and clarify what the difference is between a California T700 and USA t700. @Cruizin  It would be interesting to know especially for those of us sending our ECU's to @2 Wheel DynoWorks once our bikes arrive.

• Moderators

This will muddy the waters a bit. Picture of placard was taken on a bike in Arizona, but the placard clearly states it meets EPA and CA standards. Emissions are not included in that particular sentence so does this mean the bike meets all standards "except " emissions?

20200623_110651.jpg

It's a general statement and compliance with EPA and CA regulations is obviously Emissions related.

J

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

It's a general statement and compliance with EPA and CA regulations is obviously Emissions related.

J

Not to be flippant here, trying to understand why there is a specific California only model if bikes sold in other states carry a placard stating they comply with CA standards. I agree, it seems to be emissions related, but my experience with the CA DMV "nothing" is " obvious ".  My intent is trying to buy a new bike out of state and get it registered in California.   I and many others have had great difficulty and/or major fails when trying to accomplish that.

25 minutes ago, CAJW said:

Not to be flippant here, trying to understand why there is a specific California only model if bikes sold in other states carry a placard stating they comply with CA standards.... I and many others have had great difficulty and/or major fails when trying to accomplish that.

Maybe needs the Prop65 label 😎🤣🥳

WARNING: This product can expose you to fun, joy, excitement and thrills; which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. 

• Like 2

Finally got my Tenere yesterday so I had a chance to glance at the manual. As I suspected from not finding any obvious differences between the CA and non CA models in the parts diagrams.  Here are a couple pics from the USA manual showing they do designate a different model name for them but there appears to be no difference in emissions equipment between them. 

in the manual it would typically state “For CA only” next to the emission warning labels located in the “Location of important labels” section of the manual. Page 1-2 (6). 

it appears to be a 50 state bike after all. 

J

9948AC54-C195-4BD1-AC6E-D75F17B8AC7A.jpeg

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 3

Our T 700 engine is the same as MT-07 if I understand correctly. So I went to the on line owners manual for the MT-07 bike. Below is the screen shot of the same page for the MT-07 that Goldentaco shows above. This would indicate that image number 3 and number 6 above, look identical to the images in my screen shot below of the MT-07 manual. This pic labels those two images as California only. So now I'm thinking there is evidence that a California T 700 is actually different than any outside California. 

Does anybody have an image of their own page 1-2 owner manual that is outside California? 

MT-07manual.png

So just looked at my CA (Canadian 🙂) manual, and it does NOT have image 6 in the 'location of labels' section. However, it does have that image on page 7-11, under canister, which I can only assume is a fuel evaporation canister but it doesn't mention a 'roll over valve' as indicated in the US manuals.

My bike is labeled a XTZ07AM (Ceramic Ice)

I think I have Yamaha disease...

On 6/22/2020 at 11:17 PM, Cruizin said:

You can't register a non Cali bike in Cali. Those are some high prices you are quoting, but then again California seems to charge extra for everything.

I realize this is an older post, but just to set the record straight for anyone searching around for info at a later time...

You can easily register a used out of state bike in California.  There's no smog testing for motorcycles and CA required emissions equipment doesn't need to be present.  The machine does need to have 7500 miles on it... there may also be an age "de-restriction", but I'm not sure of exactly what that is (meaning that any bike over x years old regardless of how low the mileage is can be registered).

I have registered three out of state bikes here now and it's as simple as riding the bike to the DMV, having them check the VIN and engine number against the title, looking at the odometer, and paying them the reg/ title / taxes.  

Where it might get sticky is bringing a new bike into California that isn't a CA compliant emmissions bike.  I cannot offer advice on that...

As far as T7s in Calif go, again I realize several posters here have already gotten their T7s so this pst isn't for them so much as for anyone else looking... do your due diligence.  The T7 I have on order is $11,400 OTD from a dealer in the central valley.  MSRP, delivery, and taxes / reg.  No other fees.  No reason all dealers can't do this.  Look around.  

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

On 8/31/2020 at 3:58 PM, MeefZah said:

I realize this is an older post, but just to set the record straight for anyone searching around for info at a later time...

You can easily register a used out of state bike in California.  There's no smog testing for motorcycles and CA required emissions equipment doesn't need to be present.  The machine does need to have 7500 miles on it... there may also be an age "de-restriction", but I'm not sure of exactly what that is (meaning that any bike over x years old regardless of how low the mileage is can be registered).

I have registered three out of state bikes here now and it's as simple as riding the bike to the DMV, having them check the VIN and engine number against the title, looking at the odometer, and paying them the reg/ title / taxes.  

Where it might get sticky is bringing a new bike into California that isn't a CA compliant emmissions bike.  I cannot offer advice on that...

As far as T7s in Calif go, again I realize several posters here have already gotten their T7s so this pst isn't for them so much as for anyone else looking... do your due diligence.  The T7 I have on order is $11,400 OTD from a dealer in the central valley.  MSRP, delivery, and taxes / reg.  No other fees.  No reason all dealers can't do this.  Look around.  

Cruizin - if you can't register an out of state bike in California, what do you do if you are moving into California from another state? Do they expect you to sell your non-California bike and buy another bike that was  originally sold in California?

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post a definitive answer to this question so it can save someone the time and anxiety.

The T7 is a 50 state legal bike. Period. It has nothing California-specific, at least in regards to registration. 

I bought my 2022 brand new in New Mexico last week, rode it home to Los Angeles, and went to the DMV today to register it. 

They inspected the bike for all the required stickers/stamps, I paid sales tax and registration and I was done.  Zero issues. 

I HIGHLY recommend CA buyers search out of state.  I did have to call no less than 62 dealerships, but I found mine in stock and paid $11,400 out the door (plus tax and reg).  Local dealers quoted me $3500 over MSRP plus a 6+ month wait. 

Hopefully this helps some people on their hunt for a new T7 👍

• Like 4

• Moderators

@Dub2shoe   In the 3rd post in this thread, @Goldentacolisted Model numbers for both California and Non California models.  Realizing that those are for 2021 bikes, I haven't been able to locate that same list for the 2022 models. 

Not challenging your assertion, but regarding your statement that all US T700 bikes are 50 state compliant, how did you learn this?  Was it from a dealer or is there an official reference you located?  I'm on the hunt for another T7 for my son who resides in CA and inquiring minds want to know. Thx.

4 hours ago, AZJW said:

@Dub2shoe   In the 3rd post in this thread, @Goldentacolisted Model numbers for both California and Non California models.  Realizing that those are for 2021 bikes, I haven't been able to locate that same list for the 2022 models. 

Not challenging your assertion, but regarding your statement that all US T700 bikes are 50 state compliant, how did you learn this?  Was it from a dealer or is there an official reference you located?  I'm on the hunt for another T7 for my son who resides in CA and inquiring minds want to know. Thx.

The T700 is a 50 state bike but for some reason, Yamaha makes a distinction between CAlifornia bikes and the rest.  I don't know why, in the end it doesn't really matter.  For finding parts, there is nothing different between the two.  

The original issue was if the "CA" stood for Canada or California.  CA does not stand for Canada as far as the Tenere 700 is concerned.

J