Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ca only model?

AZJW

Question

• Moderators

Can anyone confirm with a unique VIN that Yamaha builds a California only model T700?  I'm getting OTD quotes from a number of CA dealers around $12,500 to $13K.  Seeing others here posting OTD prices at $11K and below has me wanting to search elsewhere than this Commie controlled state.   The main issue is bringing in a new out of state bike with less than 7500 miles gets really messy, really quick when dealing with the DMV. If Yamaha builds only a 50 state model, it might be worth pursuing an out of state purchase.  Any Californian done this with a T700?

Edited by CAJW
  • Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

The T700 is a 50 state bike but for some reason, Yamaha makes a distinction between CAlifornia bikes and the rest.  I don't know why, in the end it doesn't really matter.  For finding parts, there is nothing different between the two.  

The original issue was if the "CA" stood for Canada or California.  CA does not stand for Canada as far as the Tenere 700 is concerned.

J

Good news. So, accordingly,  if the bike has a 50 state compliance emissions sticker, then the bike can be registered in CA, regardless of the model #, right?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

23 hours ago, AZJW said:

Good news. So, accordingly,  if the bike has a 50 state compliance emissions sticker, then the bike can be registered in CA, regardless of the model #, right?

That sounds right.  But there are issues related to mileage on used bikes being brought in. So that would likely be the only issue with T700's brought into CA.

J

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

That sounds right.  But there are issues related to mileage on used bikes being brought in. So that would likely be the only issue with T700's brought into CA.

J

As I understand the regulations on the CA DMV page, the 7,500 mile rule pertains to 49 state emissions vehicles.  In my past experience in registering a 49 state bike in CA, if you try to register one with less than 7,500 miles, the VIN will be flagged and it won't allowed to be titled in CA.  If it is a 50 state emissions bike, then fairly certain the 7,500 mile rule doesn't apply.  In the past CA tried to restrict new vehicles brought in from out of state ( for sales tax revenue purposes), but apparently lawsuits stopped that practice.   Currently they charge the difference in sales tax between the state where you bought it and the California tax rate, for a new vehicle up to a year old.  Pretty convoluted, eh?

• Moderators

Nope, definitive answer ( as best as I can tell) is the US bikes are 50 state emissions compliant.  Just registered my son's new 2022 T7 with 200 miles on the clock, in California.  It had been registered in AZ for a few weeks and the CA DMV has redeemed itself ( somewhat) in my eyes. I'd rather get a root canal without benefit of Novacaine than go to the DMV, but this process took all of an hour including the nice clerk lady braving 103° heat to go outside to verify the VIN, engine # and emissions sticker.  Very smooth process, glad it's done!