Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Baja Rally just changed requirement from 800 cc+ to 689cc+ in ADV Pro Class

Cruizin

Thanks to @Camel ADV for sharing this news on Facebook.

Baja Rally just changed the engine displacement requirement in the ADV Pro class from 800cc and up to 689cc and up (twin cylinder only) which opens it up to the 790R and T7.

This is great news.  So, I just created this Rally Racing section here on the forum.  NOTE: this section is for actual Rally Racing, not weekend Rally rides.  Rally rides can be announced in Regional section and you can also create calendar events.  

• Like 5

• Supporting Vendor

I signed up early tonight.

Decision time... T7 or 790R. Stock for stock, the 790R is the bike for this hands down but now that I have the suspension swap done on the T7, it's no longer a foregone conclusion. 

• Like 5

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

• Supporting Vendor
4 minutes ago, Ktmmitch said:

Did the Baja Rally 4 years ago with a bunch of us from the UK, I rode KTM 690

I was there in 2016 as well. I was pitting for two ADV Pro riders; Casey Hillard and Brian Englund. It's a great event.

4 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

I signed up early tonight.

Decision time... T7 or 790R. Stock for stock, the 790R is the bike for this hands down but now that I have the suspension swap done on the T7, it's no longer a foregone conclusion. 

We are of course biased on this topic, lol. Would love to see you race on the T7. Will support you either way!

• Like 3

• Supporting Vendor
10 minutes ago, Cruizin said:

We are of course biased on this topic, lol. Would love to see you race on the T7. Will support you either way!

If I can figure out a way to export this euro T7 to Mexico instead of keeping it's date with the crusher, that's an easy decision!

• Like 3

What was the reason for the change?

Just sitting here watching the 2019 morroco desert challange for the umteenth time wondering if I'm good enough to run something this serious

• Supporting Vendor
12 hours ago, T7lee said:

What was the reason for the change?

Just sitting here watching the 2019 morroco desert challange for the umteenth time wondering if I'm good enough to run something this serious

The rule was put in place in 2013(?) when the ADV Expert class (now called ADV Pro) was created. At that time, there were no middle weight bikes. They set it at +800cc-1000cc to include the F800gs, Tiger, 950/990 etc but exclude the 690/701 etec as well as the 1200cc class bikes. The max 1000cc rule got dropped pretty early but the +800cc has remained.

The T7 and 790 are perfect bike for this class but neither were eligible due to the cc rule. I emailed Victor (the race director) on Sunday to ask if they were going to change the rules to allow these bike, he said they were already discussing it and they'd have a decision on Tuesday... and they did. The new rule is +700cc and up, twin cylinder. I made a point of asking about the T7 @ 689cc and he said basically the front end of their website says +700cc plus but the fine print will be 689cc.

5 hours ago, Cruizin said:

Yamaha says to take it to the crusher? That's crazy 

Yamaha has nothing to do with it. It's 100% my bike but it's here on a 12 month temporary import permit. When that expires, it has to be crushed or exported, no if, ands, or buts.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

The rule was put in place in 2013(?) when the ADV Expert class (now called ADV Pro) was created. At that time, there were no middle weight bikes. They set it at +800cc-1000cc to include the F800gs, Tiger, 950/990 etc but exclude the 690/701 etec as well as the 1200cc class bikes. The max 1000cc rule got dropped pretty early but the +800cc has remained.

The T7 and 790 are perfect bike for this class but neither were eligible due to the cc rule. I emailed Victor (the race director) on Sunday to ask if they were going to change the rules to allow these bike, he said they were already discussing it and they'd have a decision on Tuesday... and they did. The new rule is +700cc and up, twin cylinder. I made a point of asking about the T7 @ 689cc and he said basically the front end of their website says +700cc plus but the fine print will be 689cc.

Yamaha has nothing to do with it. It's 100% my bike but it's here on a 12 month temporary import permit. When that expires, it has to be crushed or exported, no if, ands, or buts.

Sad to do away with a perfectly good bike. 

I know when a certain you tube rider got from india to europe on a indian registered himalaya royal enfield did a straight swap and gave her a european model to use. 

Nothing yamaha can do for you in way of a favour? 

• Supporting Vendor
49 minutes ago, T7lee said:

Sad to do away with a perfectly good bike. 

I know when a certain you tube rider got from india to europe on a indian registered himalaya royal enfield did a straight swap and gave her a european model to use. 

Nothing yamaha can do for you in way of a favour? 

It has zero to do with Yamaha and everything to do with federal government regulations. When all the bike and car manufacturers bring in non Canadian spec vehicles for shows, they come in on the same import permit I have. They all have to export or crush their vehicles too. All the T7s Yamaha brought in for the bike shows this spring  got crushed. All the 790 ADVs KTM brought in for shows last year, all crushed. All of the manufacturers have to do this, it is what it is.

I knew this when I bought and imported it and I'm good with it... everyone else seems to be far more bothered than I am. Importing this bike given me a HUGE head start on products for Camel, it's served it's purpose and owes me nothing. It sucks that it can't say here but one way or another, it going away. I have a Canadian spec T7 here so all the aftermarket parts will get swapped over to it and the Euro bike will meet it's fate whether that's getting exported to Mexico and raced or it gets crushed here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

It has zero to do with Yamaha and everything to do with federal government regulations. When all the bike and car manufacturers bring in non Canadian spec vehicles for shows, they come in on the same import permit I have. They all have to export or crush their vehicles too. All the T7s Yamaha brought in for the bike shows this spring  got crushed. All the 790 ADVs KTM brought in for shows last year, all crushed. All of the manufacturers have to do this, it is what it is.

I knew this when I bought and imported it and I'm good with it... everyone else seems to be far more bothered than I am. Importing this bike given me a HUGE head start on products for Camel, it's served it's purpose and owes me nothing. It sucks that it can't say here but one way or another, it going away. I have a Canadian spec T7 here so all the aftermarket parts will get swapped over to it and the Euro bike will meet it's fate whether that's getting exported to Mexico and raced or it gets crushed here.

How much to import to USA? I would think that someone here would happily pay to buy your Bike. But then again, they probably couldn't register it, huh? 

You could do like Klinger from the old show "Mash" and ship it one part at a time to Mexico. 

• Supporting Vendor
1 hour ago, Cruizin said:

How much to import to USA? I would think that someone here would happily pay to buy your Bike. But then again, they probably couldn't register it, huh? 

You could do like Klinger from the old show "Mash" and ship it one part at a time to Mexico. 

It can't be imported into the US for the same reason it can't stay in Canada. 

I appreciate everyone's concern about this bike but I've looked at all the options, I know what possible and what's not. For the last year, everyone that heard about the crushing or export requirement has offered up a suggestion or opinion on it. To be honest, I'm exhausted with the conversation. I've gone through the 5 stages of grief with this and am comfortably in the acceptance stage and I hope everyone else can be too 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Camel ADV said:

It can't be exported into the US for the same reason it can't stay in Canada. 

I appreciate everyone's concern about this bike but I've looked at all the options, I know what possible and what's not. For the last year, everyone that heard about the crushing or export requirement has offered up a suggestion or opinion on it. To be honest, I'm exhausted with the conversation. I've gone through the 5 stages of grief with this and am comfortably in the acceptance stage and I hope everyone else can be too 😉

Ok, I'll cancel the letter to Prime Minister Trudeau. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

If I can figure out a way to export this euro T7 to Mexico instead of keeping it's date with the crusher, that's an easy decision!

I bet Mexico will let you send anything to them for the race.

• Supporting Vendor
6 minutes ago, SKIPNOMAD said:

I bet Mexico will let you send anything to them for the race.

Getting the bike into Mexico to race it isn't an issue, it's getting it "officially" out of Canada. Unfortunately, driving the bike across the Canadian border and into the US doesn't cut it. I need official export paperwork from Canada to fulfilled the requirement. It will need to be imported somewhere else to make that happen. 

4 minutes ago, Camel ADV said:

Getting the bike into Mexico to race it isn't an issue, it's getting it "officially" out of Canada. Unfortunately, driving the bike across the Canadian border and into the US doesn't cut it. I need official export paperwork from Canada to fulfilled the requirement. It will need to be imported somewhere else to make that happen. 

People lose things in boating accidents all the time.

Edited by SKIPNOMAD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, Camel ADV said:

Actually.. manufacturers crush them due to liability and they get written off, not because they have to. Decades ago they would have just been auctioned off but sadly lawsuits today have done away with that practice.

I'm assuming you got a 12 month 'temporary import permit' into Canada? If so, you can apply to the provincial office of CBSA, in person, and request both 6 (easier) and 12 month (quite difficult) extensions. I did a temporary import of a 67 Shelby Mustang for 1 year into Halifax, NS and had to get a 6 month extension added. Called for an appointment, went in, was asked why it was needed, I said the car wasn't done, and got the 6 month extension. Took 5 minutes.

When I did it you could export the vehicle out of the country to any other destination country, the only requirement was that it had to exit via the same port it was imported through. I've heard that might have changed in the past few years however. If a different country then its origin, then it'll have to go through the entire inspection process when entering the new country of course. If Mexico is good with the Euro regulations and spec you should be good.

Could always offer it up at a deal to someone back in Europe also as long as they cover the return shipping. 😆

I have to vote that it get exported to Mexico for racing. I don't know of anyone else with plans to actually race competitively on the T7 in North America and it would be awesome for us to have representation. You already know the 790s will be out in force with the rule change.

Give us someone to really cheer for!

On 6/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, Cruizin said:

I would think that someone here would happily pay to buy your Bike.

Have you seen the way he rides that thing?!?!?!

He rides it like as if he knows it's going to be put in a crusher in 12 months. 

I can see it now:

Camel Craigslist ad: Lightly used Yamaha Tenere 700. Ridden to the store to get milk by 87 year old Catholic grandma. Never saw dirt.

Camel Translation:  Rarely saw pavement and made Satan fearful if rider was sent to Hell. 

Edited by johnnygolucky
  • Haha 3

• Supporting Vendor

Reluctantly, I had to pull out of the Baja Rally. The Canada/US border closure was extended again until Aug 21st . The deadline to cancel and get refunded for the rally is August 1st. If it gets extended again (which seems likely at this point), it'll kill any chance of making this happen.

Another issue is there'll likely still be a mandatory 14 day quarantine after international travel once I return home. If take 2 weeks off for the rally then am in quarantine for 2 weeks after that, my business will suffer, badly. Also, I'm having a really hard time getting motivated to train, plan and prep the bike because it's in limbo. The whole thing is a bit of sh%t sandwich.

Unfortunately, Baja Rally will have to wait until next year. However, the Virginia City Grand Prix is Oct 17-18. It's closer (1200 miles each way vs 1800), cheaper and it requires basically no prep. The border/travel situation should be clearer by then too. I can literally make a decision to race or not 2 days before and still make it there in time.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

We want to save your T7 because so many of us are waiting to get our T7's and you have one that is likely going to be crushed.  This just reinforces the reality that the World has gone completely mad.

• Like 2

• Supporting Vendor
11 hours ago, Cruizin said:

I watched your video of the Virgina city rally. Hated the way it ended for ya. 

That's how racing goes sometimes. Hopefully I can get back to it this year and have a happier ending 😉

11 hours ago, jas340 said:

We want to save your T7 because so many of us are waiting to get our T7's and you have one that is likely going to be crushed.  This just reinforces the reality that the World has gone completely mad.

I get it. I can't believe how terrible the US T7 rollout has been... looks painful. 

So, does the bike need to go to the crusher with its engine and tranny in place?  Asking for a friend!

• Haha 1