Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Dealer reviews

AZJW

• Moderators
I'm starting this thread with some trepidation and sincerely hope it doesn't turn into a sheet show.  I've had less than stellar responses from a number of dealers while looking for a T7, but it looks like I'm not the only one, so I'm soliciting feedback. I know folks running business (especially these past few months) have had a tough go and things aren't getting much better in turning that around quickly. Having said that,  there is no excuse for poor customer service i.e. no follow-up after saying they will get back to you. Yeah, I know this happens in every business,  but this is a very specific item, sold by a select number of dealers that we're dealing with here.

I hope this thread will  focus on the positive and minimize the negative.  If you are posting a negative review, I would ask that you make at least two to three attempts at getting to the right person before tainting the dealership with a negative review.  This really is a small community and although we can "hide" behind our screen names, these dealers can't and need to be given the benefit of the doubt before calling them out publicly. 

Regarding the PDP, I understand a lot of the confusion was caused by Yamaha not timely informing the dealers,  but it still doesn't excuse non follow-up by dealers.

Having said that, I'm unfortunately starting this thread off with a couple of negative reviews.  I contacted both of these dealers trying to get some action on my Reservation # I received from Yamaha on the morning of May 22nd. I made three contacts with each dealer's staff and got promised return contacts, then nothing. 

Merced Powersports,  Merced, Ca.  - I made three phone calls, left messages and never received a call back.

Clawson Motorsports,  Fresno Ca.  - I made three phone calls starting the Tuesday after the PDP ended and in fairness, I did receive return marketing phone calls,  but I never received  promised email replies with requested pricing information.  One salesman failed to respond so I called and spoke with a Sales Manager, who promised an email reply with pricing and again, nothing.

Hopefully we have some success stories of great dealer treatment and we can focus our efforts (and dollars) with businesses that know how to treat their customers. 
  • Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

Well, this review will be good because I got the first bike in the.country on June 4th. Or at least first one reported online and social media.

My dealer is Snake River Yamaha, Meridian Idaho. By volume , they are the largest single line Yamaha dealer in the country. And, we are not a big city by any means, population of Idaho is smaller than the city of Last Vegas. 

They sell alot because they are organized and very well managed. They have good staff. Their showroom is very clean and nice. And they don't play games. 

The owner Steve and I and @PNWTEN had a nice chat the day that the preorder was announced. We had a plan.  They came thru for me big time.

I paid $11,235 out the door including state sales tax. No rally packs.  A fair price all things considered. 

I'm a loyal customer for life, that has been well earned over the years.

• Like 6

• Premium Member

My dealer is awesome! Jeff Anderson at Sportland Yamaha in Cle Elum Wa. He sold me the 1200 Super Tenere in 2012, pulling it off the floor from the dealer in Yakima 😉 and I was in line behind him for the last 4 years to order our T-700’s.  He also supported out PNW Super Tenere group since then. At one point, he was the sales leader of super Teneres in the region from all the people we sent him. All from a Yamaha power sports shop that doesn’t sell motorcycles.😳😁 We have both been following the developments over these last several years. Lots of ups and downs over that time. Being on the west coast and the shop doesn’t open until 10am, he and an employee came in over an hour early to cuss and scream at the Yamaha websites before they crashed on May 22nd. They secured 7 bikes in the 3 colors in under 30 min playing all the games Yamaha threw at them.  Thank you Jeff and Cassie!🙌🙌

3501FBFC-97D4-489A-87EF-6926A5D29B3F.jpeg

• Like 4

While on the other side of the pond, Woodford Motorcycles in South Woodford, London E18 gave exemplary service on purchase of my T7........as they always do.

Alan and Pete are the guys to talk to about your new Yamaha.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Good review to follow:

Capitol Yamaha in Sacramento,  Ca is great! Right after the zero response I got from my local dealer with my PDP reservation #, I started reaching out to just about every dealer in Ca.  I talked with Debbie at Capitol and asked to be put on a list in case PDP bikes weren't picked up by the person originating the order.  I was in touch with a half dozen dealers, but like many here,  I kept getting pie in the sky ship dates,  except from Capitol. She contacted me yesterday and said they had a red one available and would hold it until I got there to see it in the flesh and as they say, the rest is history. They were honest in their dealings with me, greeted me upon arrival and I was promptly introduced to the entire team at Capitol. They made me feel special ( no, not that kind of special 😉 ) and genuinely treated me with respect,  which is sometimes rare when buying a new vehicle.

I do most all of my own maintenance,  but will patronize Capitol anytime the need arises as they are now my go-to dealer.  👍

A big thanks to @Mr.motardedfor suggesting I get in touch with them.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 10 months later...

I have gotten two Tenere 700's from Factory Powersports in St. George Utah, one in June 2020 and one in November. Although both were ordered at the same time.

The assembly of both bikes was first rate, the service since than has been impeccable. I have done all the oil changes myself before taking it in to have the rest done, the average service cost has been $40.

I would highly recommend them.

• Like 1

I bought my Tenere and one year ago a side by side from Eric at Offroad Motorsports and Cycle sales in Jonestown, PA.  No complaints at all.  They had the lowest price I could find within a reasonable driving distance on the Wolverine X2 I purchased from them, and sold me the Tenere for about $11,2-300 OTD.  Pretty good financing rates available, too.

• Like 1

I took delivery of my T7 from Yamaha Sports Plaza in Portland Oregon June 3 2020. I had had dibs and a deposit on the first one they could get since Aug 2019. I did not hear from them until the bike came in  June 2. I did not pester them during the interval. I checked in a few times, just making sure I was on list. Satisfactory experience. It was well assembled, no loose fasteners. Proper job. 

One year out, virtually no issues with the bike.

Edited by ahamay
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Had reached out to Nash Powersports in Mesa via their web form. Knowing a T7 was a unicorn, I figured I'd put my name on a list and wait a few months.  Heard back the next day that they had one unbuilt and un-taken. They said it would 2 days before I could get it. They held it for me for a week until my schedule cleared up. Worked with Vince, very nice and honest individual.

Also reached out to Moto City. They were honest in saying they weren't getting in months. Wish I could have dealt with them. Smaller shop.

Did not attempt to work with RideNow based on many negative reviews and comments.

• Like 3

On 7/14/2021 at 5:41 PM, dprimero said:

Had reached out to Nash Powersports in Mesa via their web form. Knowing a T7 was a unicorn, I figured I'd put my name on a list and wait a few months.  Heard back the next day that they had one unbuilt and un-taken. They said it would 2 days before I could get it. They held it for me for a week until my schedule cleared up. Worked with Vince, very nice and honest individual.

Also reached out to Moto City. They were honest in saying they weren't getting in months. Wish I could have dealt with them. Smaller shop.

Did not attempt to work with RideNow based on many negative reviews and comments.

What colors did they have at Nash?I put down a deposit for a black and grey with them over 3 months ago and still nothing 😕

Best marks review for Alberti Motori in Trapani (Sicily, Italy) because of their accurate customer service, kindness, personal availability to solve problems. I've bought several bikes from them and I can report only good things, from test rides to maintenance to free courtesy bikes when needed, to prices. Excellent people running a great business.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 10:16 PM, Cornflake said:

What colors did they have at Nash?I put down a deposit for a black and grey with them over 3 months ago and still nothing 😕

They only had one and it was black. Which I wanted anyway!!

• Like 1

MOM's provided THE BEST sales experience I've ever had... 59yo and a full moto-junkie ( that's moto-addict for the kids) with a relatively extensive dossier of bikes/sleds/ATV's.

I recommend them highly. 

Manchester, New Hampshire USA

MOMS_Manchester_Black.png

Moms Manchester Powersports in Manchester, NH sells top brands like Indian, Kayo, & Yamaha around...

Edited by concours
  • Like 2

Personally,  i dont really care to talk on the phone.  If I call its to ask if the bike is on the floor and then I visit the showroom ready to buy.   I dont yet own a T7 because i need to un-kit my fully set up KTM 1090R.  Then trade that bad boy in.  (its too heavy and I just don't have it in me to take a chance going at it alone in the desert anymore)

I look forward to making the purchase soon!

My Yamaha Dealer in Pasadena CA is alright I guess. Never had any complaints but I've only taken my bike in for service a handfull of times. The mechanic and the service rep seemed bored out of their minds. Felt like the DMV..

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I hadn't noticed this thread before. I have to give props to my dealer.

Bobby J's Yamaha in Albuquerque is the oldest Yamaha dealer in the country. Family owned since 1956.

When I decided to pull the trigger I went in and talked to Keith (an owner).  I had just missed an opportunity to put a deposit down on an incoming bike.  He told me the date of the next order cycle and the approximate arrival date.  There was no greedy mark up; $11,500 OTD.  He stayed in communication and the bike arrived in the time frame he estimated.

• Like 3

• AZJW pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.  I hope to be a 700 Tenere owner soon. I can't find one. They are listed online but it seems nobody actually has one. One dealer in Baton Rouge La. sent me an email and said the had a Tenere. I drove 100 miles to find a used 1200 just like the one I was on. Pissed me off. They did it just to get me in the door and try to sell me something else. It wasn't an honest mistake either. My xtz1200 is a fine machine for 2 track and the hiway. It's left me in a BIND a few times stuck in the gumbo mud out in the boondocks. If anyone knows where I can get one within a reasonable distance of Ms  39120 (500 miles). I would appreciate it.

For anyone ordering parts from Yamaha EU.

Ordered two items and only one delivered. Emailed to query and the auto responder said they’d hope to get back within a month 😂

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

You'd hope to get it sorted quicker than that! That said, I called them once and it felt like I was just talking to a generic call centre.

Should have just gone to the local dealer. Was being lazy from my armchair...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DuncMan said:

I didn't know they would sell directly to customers. I tried to just get a price from them and they would only direct me to the dealer.

2021-Yamaha-XTZ700-EU-Ceramic_Ice-Action

The official product page of the Ténéré 700. The page contains the technical specs, media for download and an overview of related accessories.

Along the top - Accessories - click and buy (or don't!).

• Members

Maverick MotorSports - Missoula Montana. 

Great experience buying a used rental T700 here.  Fair price, good communication, even though they were short staffed.  The sales manager (Brandon) was easy to work with, gave me straight answers and keep me updated in the process via text and email.  He ensured the bike was ready to go for my 2300 mile ride home.  Jen, the office manager handled all the paperwork quickly, and took care of my out of state title application and my temp Montana tag.  Highly recommend this dealer. 

They are a small dealer in a small city, and completely understaffed right now due to a Covid outbreak in the shop, but they busted their ass to get the bike ready for me to meet my schedule.

http://www.mavmotorsports.com

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RobR said:

Maverick MotorSports - Missoula Montana. 

Great experience buying a used rental T700 here.  Fair price, good communication, even though they were short staffed.  The sales manager (Brandon) was easy to work with, gave me straight answers and keep me updated in the process via text and email.  He ensured the bike was ready to go for my 2300 mile ride home.  Jen, the office manager handled all the paperwork quickly, and took care of my out of state title application and my temp Montana tag.  Highly recommend this dealer. 

They are a small dealer in a small city, and completely understaffed right now due to a Covid outbreak in the shop, but they busted their ass to get the bike ready for me to meet my schedule.

http://www.mavmotorsports.com

Congrats with your T7 @RobR, enjoy the beast 🙂 It's also great to read such a positive review of the Dealer, it doesn't often happen.

You're off to a great start!

Chris

Not a Yamaha dealer but off road kit. Got to mention “Rugged Roads “here. Acerbis 22L tank. There was a big delay by acerbis, and the coms from them was great. Then the good news, they got them in this Monday. They got it to me on Tuesday morning.  Brilliant. 👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dougie said:

Not a Yamaha dealer but off road kit. Got to mention “Rugged Roads “here. Acerbis 22L tank. There was a big delay by acerbis, and the coms from them was great. Then the good news, they got them in this Monday. They got it to me on Tuesday morning.  Brilliant. 👍

My ‘go to’ supplier these days. Two nice ladies always happy to help.

• Like 2

I picked up my Tenere 700 from Golden Spike Power Sports in Ashton, ID. Smaller shop, but they were great to work with. I called and put money on the bike down, they held it for a week while I sorted out my schedule for the 4 hour each way drive to collect it.

Highly recommend them if anyone is in that area of the country. 

• Like 6