Jump to content
Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum
tenerecanada

Yamaha Tenere 700 Oil Change

Recommended Posts

Matth

Good job buddy. Is motul fully Synthetic and higher grade or smoother operation than the yamalube?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tenerecanada
5 minutes ago, Matth said:

Good job buddy. Is motul fully Synthetic and higher grade or smoother operation than the yamalube?

It is fully synthetic and contains "Ester" whatever that means, and I would assume is on par with Yamalube full synthetic. I will admit the shifting is nothing but butter smooth. I noticed a large improvement when I swapped out the break in oil.


7100 4T 10W-40 - Motul

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matth

Ok just changed from Yama to their fully synthetic 10w40 and also half way up sight glass and converted it into a slick down change. Very pleased! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
John B.

One tip I’d like to share, prime the oil filter by slowly filling with oil prior to installing.  It will take a few goes to fill it as the oil needs to soak through the element. Yes, a little will spill out when you screw it on.

 

Reasoning is it helps lessen the dry start time as the little oil pump has to first fill the filter then pressurise the oil galleries to properly lubricate the motor. Only takes seconds I’m sure but most wear occurs at startup as oil pressure builds, so why lengthen that after an oil change?

 

cheers John.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahamay

North America T7 here.

 

Manual states 2.6 liters of oil on an Oil+filter change. I found this to completely cover the sight window. This with the bike on a center stand, perfectly upright. I had a worry of oil being overfilled. 

 

2.5 liters shows a perfect level on the window. Right at the upper range mark. This will be my from-now-on full-change volume. 

 

What has been you alls experience.

 

Also, replace fill cap before starting motor. A friend told me this.

Edited by ahamay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bth2
7 minutes ago, ahamay said:

Also, replace fill cap before starting motor. A friend told me this.

top tip.....i did this error on my car once......the engine bay will not now rust😃

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alain2

Anyone else find the the recommended torque [43nm / 32lb/ft] on the drain bolt quite high?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OU812

I did replace my filter and oil this weekend... coming from a KTM where the oil drain plug is 14lb/ft 32lb/ft seems really high!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ride & Shine

A tip I’d like to share that I’ve been using for decades however have never once heard/read any mention of it. Remove oil filler cap and oil filter “prior” to removing oil sump bolt...why? For maximum removal of any heavier than oil particles either suspended in the oil or at rest in bottom of sump you want the oil to flush out as swiftly as possible carrying these particles with it. Removing the cap and filter prior to the bolt breaks the inherent air tight seal in the entire oil cavity allowing the oil to drain freely without having to overcome  it’s own viscosity. Air in from filter and cap holes instantly replacing oil out of sump equals no vacuum to overcome. O Level Physics for the old skool amongst us! You read it here first....🤓

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle M

Excellent how-to, @tenerecanada, thanks! You might want to change "quart" to "liter" to avoid any confusion (dunno, do they still sell oil by the quart in the US)?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Richo
On 9/8/2020 at 4:02 PM, Ride & Shine said:

A tip I’d like to share that I’ve been using for decades however have never once heard/read any mention of it. Remove oil filler cap and oil filter “prior” to removing oil sump bolt...why? For maximum removal of any heavier than oil particles either suspended in the oil or at rest in bottom of sump you want the oil to flush out as swiftly as possible carrying these particles with it. Removing the cap and filter prior to the bolt breaks the inherent air tight seal in the entire oil cavity allowing the oil to drain freely without having to overcome  it’s own viscosity. Air in from filter and cap holes instantly replacing oil out of sump equals no vacuum to overcome. O Level Physics for the old skool amongst us! You read it here first....🤓

Good tip, I always remove the oil cap first, even the manual says this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moto

My bike came from the dealer overfilled, and just did the 1st service with the dealer (dunno - wanted to throw away money), and it's overfilled again. I'm annoyed. I'll have to let some oil out to get air in the sight class. Dealer put in mineral Yamalube, and at 750 miles I don't think my engine is fully broken in so that's a good choice. I'll do next change early at beginning of summer and at that point use synthetic. Rings will be seated. Do it myself next time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JayD

Why would you consider the Motul oil «overkill»?

Edited by JayD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Our Friends

Tenere across the USA

Tenere 700 Forum. We are just Tenere 700 owners and fans

Tenere700.net is not affiliated with Yamaha Motor Co and any opinions expressed on this website are solely those of ea individual author and do not represent Yamaha Motor Co or Tenere700.net .

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.