Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tips for lowering front forks

TontoAssistento

Question

Hi. 

Just installed the oem lowering links. Now next thing for me is to lower tge forks a littlebit. 

I am not a mechanic, so I would like to have some step by step tips to do it. 

How much shoud it be lowered since I have the oem lowering links? 

How did you do it?

Hi,

I would do what has already been written above (put the fork through about 15mm). I ordered my moped with the option "OEM lowering + fork 15mm through", the dealer delivered it to me so, and it rides fantastic.
I got the original bones in the lowering bones package - there are no special instructions included. In my opinion, it does not need it, because this measure (fork through when lowering the strut) is a generally accepted measure.

On 6/26/2020 at 2:09 AM, TontoAssistento said:

Hi. 

Just installed the oem lowering links. Now next thing for me is to lower tge forks a littlebit. 

I am not a mechanic, so I would like to have some step by step tips to do it. 

How much shoud it be lowered since I have the oem lowering links? 

How did you do it?

Screenshot_20210605-103848_Google.jpg

• Like 1

I have 18mm OEM drop links on the way.  Dare I ask if this changes the chain slack?  I'm thinking it will loosen or tighten from it's current setting since you're effectively moving it along it's 200mm of total travel.  Since you want a certain slack throughout the overall travel, I'm thinking of making sure the slack is right on with stock links and then measure what the 'new' slack will be for future adjustments.....

Any thoughts?  Overthinking this probably!  

Sorry to revive a long dead thread, but I ordered the KoubaLink 1.5" lowering link which is going to drop the rear 38mm. This thread has some useful information in it, but is it true the consensus seems to be 15mm is the maximum the front can be adjusted? If so - is 15mm in the front okay with 38mm in the rear, safety-wise? 

On 6/26/2020 at 11:17 PM, TimG said:

I have the Rally-Raid 20 mm lowering links fitted. I raised my forks by 20mm to compensate. They seem to be fine after 1000+ km travelled. The gold portion of the fork leg protrudes 7mm above the top clamp as standard/delivered. I moved it up to protrude 27mm. It still clears the tank shroud on full lock by a few mm with the (taller) Rally-Raid pre-load caps fitted. To maintain the front/rear geometry/balance both ends should be lowered a similar amount where possible. Lowering the back more than the front will 'slow' the steering response a little. Cheers.

I've just had the OEM lowering kit fitted but the dealer hasn't dropped the forks at all. I notice that RPP recommend a 10mm drop with their 20mm lowering kit, so wondered if this is a standard ratio i.e. 50% of the rear drop transferred to the forks?

• Like 1