Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Does anyone have an irregular rumble / buzz from the stock rear Pirelli Scorpion tire? It appears worse at about 60 km/ hr.

TBirdT7

Question

Irregular buzz/ hum from the rear tire- have checked pressure.

balancing or tire manufacturing issue?

13 answers to this question

I found that the stock Pirelli rear tyre was quite an annoying buzzing tyre when new. After a couple of thousand km's they did become more quiet. I personally did not like the tyre overall so I  switched out before it was due.

Some people love these tyres, but I have changed to Motoz tractionator GPS. First time on these Motoz, I am still forming an opinion. The front has an oscillating whirring not very loud, but I expect that with further use it will settle down. 

It could be either but its certainly not normal. I did hear a few things about loose spokes so you could check that out or take the back wheel off and spin it with no resistance to see if it wants to settle in one particular point. That might draw your eye to the problem

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:32 PM, Gk83 said:

It could be either but its certainly not normal. I did hear a few things about loose spokes so you could check that out or take the back wheel off and spin it with no resistance to see if it wants to settle in one particular point. That might draw your eye to the problem

Thx- the dealer says it’s likely a feature of the blocky pattern of the treads- but at 60 km / hr it feels a bit like a coin operated massage chair?

Agree with above. The karoo 3s were the worst. Mine drones a bit but thats due to the block pattern  on particular road surfaces. The smoother the road the more you will hear/feel it.

there will be a tyre pressure that quietens it down. Try different pressure setting and see it it alters it, i run mine at 28 psi and i feel it but it works for me. 

Edited by Matth

I don't think so... If its as bad at that it will eventually damage the suspension. 

What type of bike did you have before?

KLR was the last one - but the smooth twin probably makes me more sensitive To noise than the thumper,

still,  the wheel has a 1/2 inch spoke weight- 

Could it be a balancing/ tire issue

- testing the dealership warranty satisfaction on my first factory new bike ever

Yes Mine has it. At first I thought rear wheel bearing then I moved forward to thinking the transmission gears were humming. It is for sure now the rear tire. I had these same Pirelli STR's once on my Africa Twin and as I recall same noise on it from the rear.

I personally do not like the Pirelli STR Rally tires, vague feedback off road and the the front tire seems to not track inline with the rear tire in a curve leaned over on pavement. Same experience I had with them on the AT. Needless to say when these are shot on T7 I will not go back with them.

Edited by roy826
  • Like 1

Its going to sound like that with the STR,s they are block tyres, nothing wrong with your bike.

its perfectly normal, if you want quiet get some road tyres

10 minutes ago, Matth said:

Its going to sound like that with the STR,s they are block tyres, nothing wrong with your bike.

its perfectly normal, if you want quiet get some road tyres

Well I did! 90/10s A41 Bridgestones on my AT and it does just fine on gravel roads and absolutely fantastic on pavement. Most that harp get a "real" dirt tire for their ADV bike have never even owned a dirtbike to begin with. Me, I've owned many and plenty of ADV bikes. With the T7 being a new bike I initially thought it may have a issue like I stated earlier but as time went on I soon realized it was the crap STR tires doing it. I have had Michelin dual sport tires on a 250F that didn't make this noise on pavement. The Pirelli's for me are just junk in so many ways. They really do nothing good.

I'll be adding a quality 50/50 ADV tire to the T7 once they're shot which won't be long because they don't last long thank goodness.

Tyres are a tough one.

tyres that work in mud work on the road but lose higher speed handling and wear fast.

off road gravel tyres like the STR work well on the road and work well on gravel track and trails but crap in mud and  actually wear quite fast. Front tyre has good side traction though.

karroo 3 s vibey and poor wet road handling

TKC ,s wear very fast but good in mud ( when new) and pretty good on the road however after 800 miles road they are 70% worn so crap in wet stuff.

Mitas EO7 + look good but never tried them Ive tried so many bit im not aware of any tyre that does everything very well so if you know of anything please let me know:)

Edited by Matth

I am going with Motoz Tractionator Adventure rear and either a TKC 80 front or might try a Shinko 700 on the front.

• Like 1