Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Are modular helmets safe in a frontal collision

Cruizin

I have been waiting to see if modular helmets are really all that safe in a collision. Have heard of instances of the front portion coming loose in accidents . Here is a short article about a guy in Brisbane who's Nolan modular helmet failed. Nolan is usually one of the top rated helmets available. 

Helmet.png

A Brisbane rider has sworn off modular helmets after his chin bar flipped up in a low-speed roundabout crash, causing facial injuries.

Crash statistics show that 19.4% of helmet impacts occur right on the bottom front of a motorcycle helmet. Right where modular helmets tend to fail. At that point of impact, one is relying 100% on the mechanism to not fail.   Nope, no modular helmets for me.

download (1).jpeg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My one serious accident I've had was at the track, modular helmets were not a thing back then, and now are not allowed. 
I do remember the chin-bar of the Shoei RF800 digging so hard into the ground that it flung dirt up inside my helmet, but nothing happened, my track-gear saved me from the brunt of the crash and tumble that happened. 
I could not walk for a month afterwards, but that was due to a severe ankle sprain (the racing boot armor saved my leg from the hard hit it took when the bike landed on it) 

I do wear a modular helmet on the street however, yes they are not as safe as a full face, but are better (in many ways) than a half or 3/4 helmet, or no helmet at all. 

Looking at it in perspective, if you want to play it safe... Drive a car. 
Better yet, don't drive at all..
Basement living, with a football helmet on is probably safest still.

Point of the story, there is no such thing as "safe"  
Only varying levels of risk, and your risk tolerance. 

But yes, Full Face, vs Modular, the Modular is not as strong, thats for sure.  However, modular sure has many advantages, and I fully switched to those, after riding for years with beanie helmets on.  And I do support being able to choose whether or not to wear a helmet at all.  

I am just about ready to pull the trigger on either an Arai XD4 or Shoei Hornet X2, very curious about those adv helmets...  and as an added bonus, they are full face. 

Tazmool

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

My full coverage Shoei impacted on that 19.4% zone ( among other places like the crown) when I T-boned a black dog at night on a unlit country road travel at 55mph, back in 1976.  My 1972 Honda XL250 pitched me over the bars and I landed on my face on a road that had recently been chip sealed. I slid/ bounced about 150' landing in the opposite lane with the bike on top of me.  ( yes, I care that much for my bikes that whenever possible,  I break their fall. ;). 

My Orthopedic surgeon put my collarbone back together, stitched up the gash on my left side and told me without the full face coverage,  I'd have lost my jaw and no helmet, no life.  Safety gear consisted of T- shirt, jeans, tennis shoes and no gloves. The only things going my way that night was that Shoei full face helmet ( still got it) and my youth. So, yeah, no modular or open face for me or anyone that rides with me. Ymmv.

• Confused 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@29er

Valid points, well researched and expressed.  The Motocap website you linked shows their ratings and testing to back them up, good stuff.

A helmet expert I ain't and the "no modular or open face for ...... anyone that rides with me" statement was referring to my pillion seat only, not to other riders.   Whatever choice others make for safety gear is their decision and I respect that decision for them.  As you said people buy poorly rated jackets based on name brands, but we are all adults and the beauty of it is we get to decide as an individual, what works for us. But then again, seeing a rider in a tank top, shorts and flip flops, does make me wonder where they did their research! 🤔

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS