Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Simple GoPro Mount

AZJW

• Moderators

To me a helmet side mounted GoPro isn't conducive for higher speeds (fine for dirt bike trails) so I wanted an easier way to set it up and not have to keep an eye on the battery level.  Using the clamp provided in the camera accessory kit, I put a piece of fuel line on the crossbar to take up the slack, used part of the in car mount and positioned it behind the windscreen.  Powering it is a micro-usb cable plugged into the switched cig lighter port which works well with the camera in car mode.  Yes, it's not waterproof, but it already proved itself this morning recording a close encounter, that thankfully was not needed to prosecute the jerk.

GoPromt.jpg

GoProfront.jpg

GoProchg.jpg

• Like 3

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@TimmyTheHog

Video clarity is fine, but vibration from being hard mounted vs helmet mounted is evident when wicking it up. Works well as a dashcam, fires up with the ignition and no concerns about battery life while in car mode.

• Like 2

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 12:34 PM, AZJW said:

@TimmyTheHog

Video clarity is fine, but vibration from being hard mounted vs helmet mounted is evident when wicking it up. Works well as a dashcam, fires up with the ignition and no concerns about battery life while in car mode.

I picked up the Lightdow LD6000 as it was recommended as a good dashcam and powers on with power with over right card mode.  

Your mounting option looks ideal.

How has this been over time, I have a GoPro mounted camera however a few times I just don't take it and wanted the dash cam as also had on my list a car front and rear dash cam for some time.

I figure i'll cut some fabric and use some velcro to 'cover it up' when it's parked and I'm away from it.

• Moderators

@ADVUSA Dashcam still working fine, even survived through a few light rain showers.  I had an unused  Motopumps gps mount that didn't work with my Montana on the bar behind the speedo,  so I repurposed it as the dashcam mount. Since it's mount requires an Allen wrench to remove it, chances are a little less likey that it'll walk off. 

20211122_131706.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AZJW said:

@ADVUSA Dashcam still working fine, even survived through a few light rain showers.  I had an unused  Motopumps gps mount that didn't work with my Montana on the bar behind the speedo,  so I repurposed it as the dashcam mount. Since it's mount requires an Allen wrench to remove it, chances are a little less likey that it'll walk off. 

Looks great, thanks.  I recently received mine and it came with a waterproof case. I'm thinking of using silicon around the cable ends where they plug in and get rid of the crappy electrical tape which wont stop rain.

I used a RR mount with my Garmin XT so I'll need to figure out what type of mounting works best with that GPS.

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

Updated mount: I apparently killed my Lightdow camera from the repeated moisture baths, so my new camera got an enclosure.   I flipped the wx proof case ( and image in the camera) to mount it and help protect it from the elements.   I drilled/ filed an opening for the micro USB cable, but stopped short of sealing it up as it needs to be unplugged when retrieving the SD card. I've got about 6 months on this setup and so far it's working much better than the camera exposed to the elements. 

20221212_130842.jpg.0d8f920fde90ccdad05c6db1264c7a41.jpg

20221212_130853.jpg.1f71b8072561db8e801e3720648314c6.jpg