Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

BC Back country with 3 690s and a 701...

Canzvt

• 2 months later...

As an experienced dirt bike with a garage full of KTM Enduro bikes I really appreciate feedback from riders with dirt bike experience, I mean real dirt bike experience, not just a KLR on forest roads.  Whilst the KLR on forest roads is in fact dirt bike riding, it is a faaar different type of riding than slinging the bike through singletrack, brake sliding into corners and double jumping fallen logs.  Experience of riders from this background really holds of insight that we don't often get to hear from.  Very much appreciate the insight from the above rider.

You mention you feeling not that fatigued at the ends of your rides.  is that because of a particular fitness level compared to the 690 riders or not?  I find it hard that a parallel twin bike weighing 450+ pounds did not tire you our compared to the boys on the single cylinder 690's is all.  Thanks again for your insight.

• Like 1

On 10/12/2020 at 9:47 PM, Team FTB said:

You mention you feeling not that fatigued at the ends of your rides.  is that because of a particular fitness level compared to the 690 riders or not?  I find it hard that a parallel twin bike weighing 450+ pounds did not tire you our compared to the boys on the single cylinder 690's is all.  Thanks again for your insight.

Thanks for the post. The age of the guys ranged from 46 to 61, I'm 50 and reasonably fit. All of us have at least 30 years for dirt bike experience with some former senior/expert level motocross racers (myself and 2 others). I dirt ride a WR450 on single track a fair bit during the summer season, and use the same WR as a snowbike riding in the Rockies in 20+ feet of powder when I can in the winter season.

Riding the T7 on single track is definitely more difficult than my WR but the center of gravity on the T7 is so low that the weight fades away very quickly once moving. I have a bunch of experience on trials bikes as well, and the balance of the T7 is quite natural and neutral. The downside, is that 450lbs is still 450lbs. If it gets over on you, its going over. The suspension is also quite soft (mitigated now) meaning any airtime was a bit abrupt on landing! I also chose the wrong tires for the ride (didn't know the route prior) which would have made the riding even better should I fitted E-09/10's prior. The main advantage was the comfort on the forestry roads and highway connectors. The 690/701 guys had Seat Concepts seats on their rides and were complaining daily about being sore/cramping/etc. I was fine. Doing between 300-600kms days (190-380miles).

In one section (which I didn't know about beforehand) was a long downhill single track through logged out bush, then into a quad trail where we would struggle greatly to go back up. Standing up nearly all the way down through creek crossings, switchbacks, rock slides, etc, the T7 performed WAY above my expectations for a 450lb bike. Have a look at the screen capture from my go-pro below. Note the GPS. Ultra-controllable, easy to modulate the brakes, and balance was excellent. I'm sure the 690/701's would have been easier, but I wasn't riding one of those.

Quad Trail Capture.JPG

• Like 4

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Great write up buddy !

ive taken my T7 everywhere i used to take my enduro bike and love it even more, there is something about these bikes that is just very right!

• 4 months later...

Have only 300 k on my girl as I didn't receive it until late fall last year but chomping at the bit to get her out very soon great write up, those are exactly the kinds of trips I will be looking forward to

Cheers

I purchased the Puig wind deflector to see if I could get the wing blast over my helmet at road speed. With the T7 adjusters and the Puig lip, its still just a little low but it definitely makes a difference. I went this route so that when I'm in the bush, I can drop the screen on the adjusters and either fold down, or pop of the lip so my windshield is out of the way. Still haven't found the correct combination. Running an MRA screen now (+3" over stock) and the T7 adjusters and we'll see. Should be riding today, but my shock is still away getting revavled. Should have an answer on the MRA screen in a week or so. I might go back to the stocker with the lip and the under screen visor deflector mod (shown elsewhere on this site) to see if that eliminates the buffeting. Then I have the best of both worlds.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Thanks that was a great write up. Reassuring to see you didn’t feel beat up at the end of the day. 

thanks for the info. After about 1400 miles on the T7 mostly pavement with some dirt and gravel roads and an occasional  trip on double track in farm fields, I hauled it over to  a place we regularly ride single track on "real" dirt bikes. (HV TE300i) I would not try the T on the tight and rough singletrack, but rode it for 10 miles on sand, rough embedded rocks, generally terrain that you need a jeep to traverse. I was surprised how much better than expected it rode. Jumped it a bit off some ledges and overall it felt pretty comfortable when moving. At low speed it's not the easiest as i can't quite flat foot in due to a height deficiency. The clutch works well, the low end torque is great, the suspension isn't quite up to my other bike, but overall it a great ride and now i feel confident enough in it's capabilities to do some more aggressive riding. 

• Like 1