Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

iPhone mount ?

Johnny Fuel

I just took possession of my new T7 yesterday. One of the first things I need to do is mount my phone, which I use for navigation. With other bikes I have used the RAM mount on the handlebar, but the built-in Navigation bar is a more comfortable angle and sight line. However, I need something that grips the relatively smaller circumference and doesn't interfere with the instrument panel. 

What have you used? What works or doesn't work?  

• Like 1

I have a quadlock on the handlebars and a RAM X-mount.   I couldn't get the quadlock to fit properly on the (12mm?) T7's navigation bar so it ended up on the handlebar.   They do sell a mirror mount quadlock that *should* fit that top bar properly but I can wait until I can get the other basics (aka luggage) purchased.  

2-Mirror_iP8__CloseUp-1_1f5c3795-fef3-45

The Quad Lock® Mirror Mount allows you to securely mount your smartphone to standard motorcycle and scooter mirror stems.

I have the Quad lock mirror mount option, it fits perfect on the stock navigation bar, they provide spacers for different sizes. Highly recommend Quad lock, been using them for over 4 years, never budge, easy to use, and reliable

Not the best pic, though its up above, I got the all black option, they sell different colors on their website

spacer.png

• Like 4

• Moderators

+1 for the quadlock. Gives you a great phone case and multiple mounting points.

Riding footage: www.instagram.com/beefmoto

Message me if you are close - let's go riding!

Scorpion, I can't tell from the picture, but does the phone cover the instrument panel in any meaningful way? And offset from the nav bar far enough (toward your body) so it can sit vertically without running into the instrument panel? 

I checked the Quadlock web page. So many variations. Do you recall which configuration you bought? 

Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze

Screen_Shot_2019-02-03_at_5.50.11_PM_240

Comes with everything you need: (1) Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount. Fits any phone and almost all cases. Can be mounted in landscape or portrait orientation. (1) Set of our Low-Profile mounting clamps. Quickly clamps to any bar or irregular shape from .375" to 1.25" in diameter. Our unique...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Johnny Fuel said:

Scorpion, I can't tell from the picture, but does the phone cover the instrument panel in any meaningful way? And offset from the nav bar far enough (toward your body) so it can sit vertically without running into the instrument panel? 

I checked the Quadlock web page. So many variations. Do you recall which configuration you bought? 

its the exact same mount as used by nomad Sweden, you can see the position and how it works with the cluster in his videos. I have an iPhone 7, and the mount sits just proud enough to not interfere or cover the instrument cluster, it's perfect. A bigger phone like in the Nomad Sweden videos, also isn't an issue. Vertically however, would be an issue, you could always off set the mount o the far left or right on the navigation, and see if that clears. The phone does fit vertically, it just blocks you from reading the dash. 

Seeing as you are in the US, this is the exact one I bought, and that is shown in the videos

2-Mirror_iP8__CloseUp-1_1f5c3795-fef3-45

The Quad Lock® Mirror Mount allows you to securely mount your smartphone to standard motorcycle and scooter mirror stems.

The mirror mount work on the navigation bar. 

3 hours ago, sshat said:

Hondo Garage Perfect Squeeze

Screen_Shot_2019-02-03_at_5.50.11_PM_240

Comes with everything you need: (1) Perfect Squeeze Phone Mount. Fits any phone and almost all cases. Can be mounted in landscape or portrait orientation. (1) Set of our Low-Profile mounting clamps. Quickly clamps to any bar or irregular shape from .375" to 1.25" in diameter. Our unique...

this is what I have it's great!

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how well this product from china is going to hold up, but it was $23 so ah what the hell.

edit: it was a piece of garbage 

Edited by loneranger700
  • Like 2

+1 to QuadLock (mirror mount 12mm for crossbar) along with the wireless charging option (not required; a bit pricey but oh so convenient).

IMG_1611.thumb.JPG.56f0558a996951f24232db4b82f64707.jpeg

IMG_1612.thumb.JPG.1eecf1ac8926758c1aef6902192e5026.jpeg

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.89b66bb688c5ff5f74645edfcb1fb4ad.jpeg

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.8b83226967833203bed3e839129a12bc.jpeg

Edited by beater_bimmer
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 8/5/2020 at 7:24 PM, beater_bimmer said:

+1 to QuadLock (mirror mount 12mm for crossbar) along with the wireless charging option (not required; a bit pricey but oh so convenient).

IMG_1611.thumb.JPG.56f0558a996951f24232db4b82f64707.jpeg

IMG_1612.thumb.JPG.1eecf1ac8926758c1aef6902192e5026.jpeg

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.89b66bb688c5ff5f74645edfcb1fb4ad.jpeg

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.8b83226967833203bed3e839129a12bc.jpeg

How's your phone look when it's mounted vertically on that? Think it would cut off to much of the dash?

25 minutes ago, CasualADV said:

How's your phone look when it's mounted vertically on that? Think it would cut off to much of the dash?

It’s not too bad, only cuts off a small amount of the instrument panel. I never mount it vertically. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

SP Connect and their mirror mount is a great choice to attach your phone to the crossbar.

It looks Yam have selected SP Connect as their supplier as you can get oem branded phone case and mount which looks exactly as SP Connect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 12:39 PM, Romiec said:

SP Connect and their mirror mount is a great choice to attach your phone to the crossbar.

It looks Yam have selected SP Connect as their supplier as you can get oem branded phone case and mount which looks exactly as SP Connect.

Same with "Quad Lock".  They have tons of mounts, phone cases, stick on universal mounts etc.  Been using them on my moto's, cars and bicycles for close to 6 years.  Crashed more times than I care to count and they kept my devices on the bikes.  Even mounted an iPad mini to the bars and it was great.  I like "sleek" unobtrusive minimalistic devices.  Don't want clutter and "goo gads" of big ball mounts, huge cradles, scissor jacks bolted everywhere along with the kitchen sink.  Quadlock are sturdy, interchangeable, sleek, fast on and off.  Well worth the price of entry IMHO..  SP Connect has beautiful stuff as well, same concept as QL.

Edited by Mototifosi

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: I ended up buying a Quadlock AND the vibration dampener and mounted it to the navigation bar. However, it didn't work for me. Last spring (on my KLR650) my iPhone X optical focus/stabilization broke on me. Apple replaced the phone and I didn't think about it anymore. Then, this summer, the same thing happened again. Turns out this is a known issue.

Apparently, the auto focus after the iPhone 8 are notoriously sophisticated and notoriously non-rugged. Apple once again replaced the phone. My employer supplies my phone so repairs are complicated. Suffice it to say I can't keep letting this happen. I'm switching to a Garmin Zumo. I have two motorcycles but you can buy a second installation kit which will allow me to move the device to the bike I'm riding. 

I'm really disappointed in Apple. Their ph0nes should ideally be more rugged. I mean, who ISN'T going to use their phone to navigate? 

I think the QL vibration dampener was suppose to alleviate this issue but at least when mounted to the nav bar the phone bounced around so much I couldn't see the image very well. In fact, when using Google Maps the jostling even made the menu screen come up without touching it. Clearly this is not a workable solution. I never tried mounting the QL and vibration dampener anywhere else. It might work better on the bars but as stated above, I'm not taking further chances. 

13 minutes ago, Johnny Fuel said:

UPDATE: I ended up buying a Quadlock AND the vibration dampener and mounted it to the navigation bar. However, it didn't work for me. Last spring (on my KLR650) my iPhone X optical focus/stabilization broke on me. Apple replaced the phone and I didn't think about it anymore. Then, this summer, the same thing happened again. Turns out this is a known issue.

Apparently, the auto focus after the iPhone 8 are notoriously sophisticated and notoriously non-rugged. Apple once again replaced the phone. My employer supplies my phone so repairs are complicated. Suffice it to say I can't keep letting this happen. I'm switching to a Garmin Zumo. I have two motorcycles but you can buy a second installation kit which will allow me to move the device to the bike I'm riding. 

I'm really disappointed in Apple. Their ph0nes should ideally be more rugged. I mean, who ISN'T going to use their phone to navigate? 

I think the QL vibration dampener was suppose to alleviate this issue but at least when mounted to the nav bar the phone bounced around so much I couldn't see the image very well. In fact, when using Google Maps the jostling even made the menu screen come up without touching it. Clearly this is not a workable solution. I never tried mounting the QL and vibration dampener anywhere else. It might work better on the bars but as stated above, I'm not taking further chances. 

This is why some folks buy a second hone, like a cheap duraforce pro, just to use as a nav device. I have been doing this for a while, saves my nice phone and I have no cell plan or anything of the nav phone. It was less than 150 bucks and has been better than my Garmins 

YMMV but I like the cheap phone solution. 

Mike

6 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

This is why some folks buy a second hone, like a cheap duraforce pro, just to use as a nav device. I have been doing this for a while, saves my nice phone and I have no cell plan or anything of the nav phone. It was less than 150 bucks and has been better than my Garmins 

YMMV but I like the cheap phone solution. 

Mike

Don't you need service to use the GPS navigation?

1 hour ago, Johnny Fuel said:

Don't you need service to use the GPS navigation?

No, gps signal is from satellites in space and is completely independent of a cell signal. You would need some data if you wanted to use something like google maps but the programs I use, like Locus or Osamd all have offline maps. 

I download everything when on WiFi and head off on my adventures.

Mike

Edited by MikeCMP

• 1 month later...

I have tried many cell phone holders, and this is the my latest, and also the best cell phone holder I have used to date, because it holds the phone on all 4 corners with the help of 2 internal springs. I have ridden the bike over pretty rough terrain, and the phone has never left the holder, nor does it clamp the phone to hard. The holder has rubber strips on the flat surface and on the corner clamps.

The phone holder is fastened to a Rally Raid top bar clamp with screws after some light modifications to both the holder and the clamp, and leaves space on the crossbar for GPS navigation.

YouTube ii.jpg

finished.JPG

bracket only.jpg

Edited by orbsurfer

• 11 months later...
On 8/5/2020 at 3:41 PM, ScorpionT16 said:

I have the Quad lock mirror mount option, it fits perfect on the stock navigation bar, they provide spacers for different sizes. Highly recommend Quad lock, been using them for over 4 years, never budge, easy to use, and reliable

Not the best pic, though its up above, I got the all black option, they sell different colors on their website

spacer.png

How is the vibration? Over that 4y have u need to buy a vibration damper? thanks!

• 6 months later...

This is an old thread but I have a new bike sooo, I think I'll get a quad clock mirror mount kit (for my iPhone 11) and it sounds like the anti vibration pad doesn't really protect the phone and the charger pad sounds nice but I can still plug my iPhone charge cable in when I need it so that's a non essential part. This gadget is not really for my off the grid "adventure" riding anyway. For that I am looking into the whole Garmin GPS thing...