Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Are engine guards worth it?

Johnny Fuel

I was set to buy the Yamaha engine guards (crash guards) to protect against a tip-over. Then I saw a YouTube video which said the engine guards only protect the side plastics, not the engine itself. In a fall, the hand guards take all the force—in normal situations on flat ground anyway. So I'm rethinking the value of the engine guards. Any advice?

11 minutes ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Good Hanguards, with alloy rails and a decent alloy sumpguard, are the most important things you'll buy

Engine bars, not for me

I agree I just invested in good Barkbusters for my bike. Not a fan of big heavy bash bars on ADV bikes.

Depends how and what you fall on. The rad is very well protected on these bikes, the engine cases, not so much. I purchased them, and have used them a few times. Once in a crash, a few time as lifting points getting the bike out mud holes.

Up to your preference.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

For me it’s a no brainer on a big bike 

it’s not a crf 250

it’s quite heavy

I already have 2 little crash When I slip on big rocks

all the impacts are on the bars 

handguard and crash bar essential imo 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Givi ones don't add much weight. I also wouldn't consider them "engine guards", all they do is protect the plastic and possibly the rad. I've already cracked both side plastics from tip overs before the guards went on (covered by the new graphics kit now, and (edit) further protected by the new crash guards ). As the picture shows, they do the job. Also have Acerbis hand guards, they do a way better job over the stock ones. For strictly road use, I wouldn't bother with the rad/plastic guards.

t7.jpg.3a0cc9062063ff8259cff081893b241e.jpg

Edited by sshat

all they do is protect the plastic and possibly the rad. I've already cracked both side plastics from tip overs 

@sshat Sounds like maybe they don't do anything then. Unless you installed them after the tip overs that cracked the plastic?

Yes. Installed them after the cracked plastics. Should have clarified that! Edited the post. Thanks for the call out @mattgif

Edited by sshat
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sshat said:

The Givi ones don't add much weight. I also wouldn't consider them "engine guards", all they do is protect the plastic and possibly the rad. I've already cracked both side plastics from tip overs before the guards went on (covered by the new graphics kit now, and (edit) further protected by the new crash guards ). As the picture shows, they do the job. Also have Acerbis hand guards, they do a way better job over the stock ones. For strictly road use, I wouldn't bother with the rad/plastic guards.

t7.jpg.3a0cc9062063ff8259cff081893b241e.jpg

Did the bars bend with the falls?

And did they protected the upper part of the bike?

Edited by Lupan

Sorry they didn't bend? And what means the rest eehehe

I'm only asking because i have the same ones, and probably the cheaper ones...

Edited by Lupan

Crash Protection for any bike  is like  insurance. You hope that you won't need to use it,  but if you do, your very happy you have it.

Remember that the water pump is quite exposed on the RH Side. I personally have R&G case covers for piece of mind. Also Barkbusters for lever and hand protection. Lightweight Adventurespec crash protection,also good for attachment of Kriega bags. 

On level ground I feel confident with this setup. But a well placed rock can do damage no matter how much scaffolding you install. It's up to you "do you feel lucky?"

On 8/13/2020 at 4:15 PM, Lupan said:

Sorry they didn't bend? And what means the rest eehehe

I'm only asking because i have the same ones, and probably the cheaper ones...

They did not bend. Quite a whack, to be honest (TBH)

• Like 1

As Louis commented, it is insurance. A well-designed set of engine bars, model-specific, can provide significant protection for the plastics, radiator, engine and frame tubes. The Yamaha Tenere engine bars extend underneath the machine affording the additional protection that others makes don't.  As an aside, I watched a YouTube test of  several adventure bikes  and  after a short while the Honda Africa Twin fell lightly and cracked an exposed cover causing engine oil to leak out.  It put an end to that bike on the test and it had to be trailered back.  That sold me on well-designed engine bars.

• 2 weeks later...

Engine crash bars don’t necessarily have to cover right over the engine to protect it, they just have to keep that side of the bike up off the ground high enough keeping the engine off the ground.  If your lucky. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

They may not cover every aspect but fitted together with something akin to the R&G engine protectors there should be sufficient coverage for most situations.

All my tip overs to date have been on muddy trails where the engine and plastics  hit first. The bars hit second. I have cracked plastics and my R&G case covers are scuffed and damaged. Bark busters and handlebars are not even scuffed. I am in the process of installing GIVI crash bars. Light weight And hopefully will hit first and help with engine damage. 

I have the givi bars, and have bent them dropping the bike hard and fast in a rocky area. I also have the R&G plastic case covers, and those also took a good hit, so I would recommend those. 

Basically, in my case with large rocks around (bigger than baby heads) the bars and the case savers saved me some damage. I like to think they will also keep the bike off of my leg better too 🙂

Mike

• Like 1

I’ve got the Givi bars. I haven’t dropped the bike yet so can’t say how good they’ll perform.

They’re not too heavy and have been handy as a grab point for pulling the bike through the mud.