Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

US Tenere keys

JDCooper

Question

Not sure if it made all the difference but with the bars turned mostly left and working the key around I was able to get the one key to turn it on 2x in just a minute or so. Will still want a more reliable backup but interesting that seemed to help. Sure they are really close to cut correctly. To me it looks like its not burrs but the shoulder to where the serrations on the key start are slightly diff distances. Does anyone know if the very tip length of the key is a critical dimension?

On 8/14/2020 at 10:50 PM, JDCooper said:

Are the US T7 keys "chipped", or are they conventional keys?

If you can start your bike with a "conventional" key your bike doesn't have (I doubt that) the anti-theft protection bikes in Europe have. You can check it when the original key is far away from the bike. Don't have it in your pocket when testing the other key... 😉

On 1/9/2024 at 7:32 PM, eyeguy said:

Not sure if it made all the difference but with the bars turned mostly left and working the key around I was able to get the one key to turn it on 2x in just a minute or so. Will still want a more reliable backup but interesting that seemed to help. Sure they are really close to cut correctly. To me it looks like its not burrs but the shoulder to where the serrations on the key start are slightly diff distances. Does anyone know if the very tip length of the key is a critical dimension?

It's the distance from the shoulder that matters. This is usually what stops the key from going in further and where everything is indexed from. If the copy was made with an offset forward or backwards, it can prevent it from working, or working well, and that can indirectly affects the length of the tip.

image.png.f623a654e27d9fe9608f1ff72cca79be.png

• Like 1

advgoats.com