Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Tenere 700 Suspension Mod

Trollbiker

How to make The Tenere 700 suspension even better with a rear spring suited to your weight:

• Like 5

Ive done the same thing Sven, put a 90 on the rear shock and it made a huge difference to the rear comfort and ride (bike handle perfectly good with stock suspension), but the correct spring has made a huge difference. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Alf Meister said:

Ive done the same thing Sven, put a 90 on the rear shock and it made a huge difference to the rear comfort and ride (bike handle perfectly good with stock suspension), but the correct spring has made a huge difference. 

Fully agree, measured sag now and just done a test ride:

Since last time I measured the sag, I have installed luggage racks. And I was this time 90,7 kg with all my riding gear.

I  cranced in 15 clicks (of a totalt of 24) from minimum to get the 60mm correct rider sag. (30% of 200mm) My sag measurements was then as following:

Free sag: 25 mm = 12,5 % (10 % is thumb of rule)

Rider sag: 60 mm = 30 % 

The ride was a lot more plush. The bike feels noticeable different in a very positive way. Ride quality surprisingly much better. I followed RR recommendation to increase compression and rebound damping +2 clicks to match the stiffer spring.

• Like 3

On 8/20/2020 at 4:16 PM, Trollbiker said:

Fully agree, measured sag now and just done a test ride:

Since last time I measured the sag, I have installed luggage racks. And I was this time 90,7 kg with all my riding gear.

I  cranced in 15 clicks (of a totalt of 24) from minimum to get the 60mm correct rider sag. (30% of 200mm) My sag measurements was then as following:

Free sag: 25 mm = 12,5 % (10 % is thumb of rule)

Rider sag: 60 mm = 30 % 

The ride was a lot more plush. The bike feels noticeable different in a very positive way. Ride quality surprisingly much better. I followed RR recommendation to increase compression and rebound damping +2 clicks to match the stiffer spring.

... I am not sure I follow the RR recommendations...

If we increase spring rate from 70 to 90 let's say we should have the compression and rebound adjusted, I get it.

... If the spring is stronger I should logically increase rebound since the spring pushes back with more force so we need to slow it down. 

... But the reverse applies to compression. If the spring is stronger I should logically decrease compression since the spring resists with more force so we have less need to slow it down.

That's my non-expert logic.

Anyone care to explain?

Have you fitted the RR Front fork billet pre load adjuster anyone and how does it alter the ride. Im looking for more plush and forgiving off road , how does that kit alter the ride ?

Edited by Matth

3 hours ago, Matth said:

Have you fitted the RR Front fork billet pre load adjuster anyone and how does it alter the ride. Im looking for more plush and forgiving off road , how does that kit alter the ride ?

You might want to look at the RR open fork cartridge kit, that they are about to release. Its Not going to be cheap, but about half the price of the closed cartridge kit, but still with a 35mm piston, should give a wide range of adjustability. 

9 hours ago, MGG said:

... I am not sure I follow the RR recommendations...

If we increase spring rate from 70 to 90 let's say we should have the compression and rebound adjusted, I get it.

... If the spring is stronger I should logically increase rebound since the spring pushes back with more force so we need to slow it down. 

... But the reverse applies to compression. If the spring is stronger I should logically decrease compression since the spring resists with more force so we have less need to slow it down.

That's my non-expert logic.

Anyone care to explain?

I found the stock compression settings way too soft, that's why I said to increase compression damping, even with a stiffer spring, just my findings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My weight is 90/100kg,  drive alone and rarely has a 10-15 bag in the back, no passenger, ever. Driving is a mixed road, fast gravel and fast offroad.

I put the RR 85N spring first and I didn’t like it, the rear was too stiff and uncomfortable. The really fast offroad driving 85N spring works ok but it also felt too hard.

Now I have a K-Tech 75N spring which is harder than standard but comfortable. Rear flexes easily and the spring doesn’t feel too soft like oem. A 10-20kg bag with a couple of clicks preaload adds and works just fine. For my driving, the 75N spring is a much better option than the 85N spring.  A passenger or heavy bag / luggage with a stiffer spring is a better choice.

Comfort setup
Rear:
Preaload 12
Rebound 9
Compress 14

Front setup
5mm preload shim
Rebound 10
Compress 12

If I drive a lot of hard bumpy offroad, I adjust the damping a little stiffer.

Rear:
Rebound 8
Compress 10

Front
Rebound 9
Compress 9

In the winter I will replace the K-Tech 6.3N fork spring and new shims fork and shock.

That 90nm from RR made a huge difference in handing and comfort for me, especially with weight on the back. Everything from high speed dirt to low speed technical. I'm 215lbs in full gear and put ~65lbs of gear on it. Was getting some teater totter in the beginning but maxed the compression in the front and jacked the preload in the rear when I have gear.rides like a champ. 

I'm hoping there's some cheaper option for the front forks soon as they could definitely be stiffer. 

Any one have tricks for the front forks? I know a stiffer, perhaps progressive spring is available for my KLR but is there a reason that's not an option? 

A) Linear springs do not go coil bound so they are linear all the way. No matter the preload.

B) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the lifetime of linear springs is longer.

C) Because the springs do not go coil bound, the coating does not crack leaving the wire unprotected.

D) Most progressive springs have two distinct springrates. The switching point from soft to harder can be noticeable during riding.

Does the oem have a progressive spring or is it the link operation of the suspension that alters the throw ratio, starts off fast and slow later in the compression?

Edited by Matth

2 hours ago, Matth said:

Does the oem have a progressive spring or is it the link operation of the suspension that alters the throw ratio, starts off fast and slow later in the compression?

The linkage is already progressive enough. So there is no functional need for progressive springs. On the other hand the linear springs have advantages over progressive springs:

Hi Mitch

yep tha ks for that, ive received the 85 nm rear spring from you which will fit tonight 

so talking about rear pre load. To achieve 20mm sag the pre load adjuster is wound right the way in. I then sat on it and did sag again ( im 82 kgs clothed and it went to 70mm sag way to much. No useful spring left so the 85 will help.

i took it to my testing place and front is useless. Bottoms out even with compression wound in. I need some decent forks .

Mitch can you guide  in the right direction given info supplied please bud.

Mostly road however off roading is a mixture of trail riding and  faster stuff  with a few small jumps also as at the moment its holding me back.

has to be plush overall.

• Like 1