Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ram Ball for handlebar clamp

AZJW

• Moderators

I searched in vain for someone here using the Ram Ball designed to replace one of the 4 bolts that clamp the bars down.  Looks like a slick way to mount my Garmin Montana as the MotoPumps mount mated with the Garmin charging mount didn't work well on the 12mm crossbar, due to the angle.  I'm coming up empty trying to find what thread diameter/length/ pitch these oem bolts are. (#19 on diagram). Anybody have theirs out to measure? Thanks in advance.

Shop online for OEM Steering parts that fit your 2021 Yamaha TENERE 700 (XTZ7MCB), search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Details and specifications of the RAM® Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Bolts, Part No. RAM-B-367U. UPC: 793442924903. Additional information includes compatibility lists, components, assembly instuctions/videos.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• Moderators

Thanks, I had looked at that, but it's about $70 and as far as I can tell, is not adjustable regarding be viewing angle unless you use another ball mount which increases the mounted height.  I have a ton of Ram mount stuff  lying around and if a $12 ball mount will fit,  I'm good to go. 

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

You'll need a longer bolt, but I've used these on my Husky's offroad for years, still do. Ebay.

Ball.JPG.b98bc3a2edb0eb9901546bbd4104f5f7.JPG

Edited by BADDANDY
  • Like 1
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
2019 Husqvarna TE 250i
2018 Husqy/Oberon/JD FE 450

Exactly how mine is mounted in this pic.

ca31e793-1403-4b06-818f-8e1b8273e9ef-jpe

I got mine from a local family owned business:

RAM Mount Motorcycle Base Mount with Hole and 3 sizes of M8 SrewsRAM MOTORCYCLE BASE W HOLE M8 SCREW. RAM-B-367UYour motorcycle rides on rubber tires for grip and to soft..

J

• Thanks 1

For me the RAM ball with hole works well too and is the cheapest solution.  In my kit few longer M8 bolts were included.

20200812_192944.jpg

9 hours ago, CAJW said:

I searched in vain for someone here using the Ram Ball designed to replace one of the 4 bolts that clamp the bars down.  Looks like a slick way to mount my Garmin Montana as the MotoPumps mount mated with the Garmin charging mount didn't work well on the 12mm crossbar, due to the angle.  I'm coming up empty trying to find what thread diameter/length/ pitch these oem bolts are. (#19 on diagram). Anybody have theirs out to measure? Thanks in advance.

Shop online for OEM Steering parts that fit your 2021 Yamaha TENERE 700 (XTZ7MCB), search all our OEM Parts or call at (231)737-4542

Details and specifications of the RAM® Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Bolts, Part No. RAM-B-367U. UPC: 793442924903. Additional information includes compatibility lists, components, assembly instuctions/videos.

@CAJW,  the ball with the M8 bolts is the one you need.  Perfect solution.

• Moderators

@Goldentaco & @Dipstick. Thanks Gents. Exactly the information I needed.  Props to you for supporting local business, I wasn't aware of ADV Designs and with them being so close to me, I'm putting them on my go to list.

54 minutes ago, CAJW said:

@Goldentaco & @Dipstick. Thanks Gents. Exactly the information I needed.  Props to you for supporting local business, I wasn't aware of ADV Designs and with them being so close to me, I'm putting them on my go to list.

ADV Designs are great guys to work with. Lately they’ve had to close their brick and mortar location in Dublin and are fully online based.  If you’re local-enough you can pick up items you don’t want shipped in Walnut Creek, just need to make arrangements with them. 

As with many online retailers especially for motorcycle parts that aren’t necessarily kept in onsite inventory it’s best to call and check availability. 

J

The bolts are M8 standard thread designed for pretty much all Japanese and Euro bikes, and if you order the $11.99 kit (Revzilla) it includes the RAM ball and three varying length bolts.

I've got one sitting in the bin waiting for the T7 to arrive.

On a DL1000, but exactly the same concept and fitment:

spacer.png

Edited by MeefZah
  • Like 3

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

• Moderators

I got the Ram Ball kit installed and the Montana is now mounted with the needed angle adjustment.  The Motopump mount I tried on the crossbar didn't allow a low enough viewing angle due to interference from the top of the speedo housing.  Next I was planning on installing my new 90nm rear spring, but it got preempted by finishing the wiring for the gps. I was putting that off for later on, but a screw from my newly installed T7Rally windscreen adjuster fell off and went into a dark place "somewhere" behind the headlight housing, so I guess the wiring is next. :classic_angry:

20200902_122904.jpg