Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Ralle moto steering damper install!

Aleksandar13

HAHAHA! Dude if I had a penny for every time you've said "I feel that this now completes the bike" after fitting yet another mod....I'd stop work and ride round the world for the rest of my life! Just admit it, you've got a serious problem, you're forever tormented by the possibility that one more mod could be the one that brings it all together. Oh sweet agony....:-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Ride & Shine said:

HAHAHA! Dude if I had a penny for every time you've said "I feel that this now completes the bike" after fitting yet another mod....I'd stop work and ride round the world for the rest of my life! Just admit it, you've got a serious problem, you're forever tormented by the possibility that one more mod could be the one that brings it all together. Oh sweet agony....:-)

God luck with the trip around the world...🤣🤣

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Any updates on your thoughts of the steering damper add on. Well worth the money? I just ordered one, never had one before and never really felt the need to have one till I got this bike. Hopefully it’s worth the investment. 

• Like 2

Had mine since I got the bike in March. Every bike I have had since 2001 WRF400 has had one of these. I was given the first to trial and was hooked.

Easy fit and the price is right.

• Like 2

Alcohol! No good story starts with a salad.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Hogan said:

@Aleksandar13

Hi, I'm wondering how you are feeling about the steering damper now you've had it for a while.

I've been looking at the same one (they are made very near where I live).

My question to you is how does it affect the bike when it is on the lowest setting?

I really only want the damper primarily for sand riding, and don't want it to really work at all on the pavement.

I've got one on my t7. Have been running it for 4 weeks now. I have mine set in the middle at 10 clicks and barely notice it on the pavement. What I have noticed is less movement from cross winds on the freeway. Have only had one ride in the sand with it and it seemed pretty good! 

received_4707592695948700.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Danot86 said:

I've got one on my t7. Have been running it for 4 weeks now. I have mine set in the middle at 10 clicks and barely notice it on the pavement. What I have noticed is less movement from cross winds on the freeway. Have only had one ride in the sand with it and it seemed pretty good! 

received_4707592695948700.jpeg

Mine is set a bit more aggressive and still have the same feeling as you, not intrusive on pavement, it does fit nice one the bike and is quality.. 👍 

• Premium Member

@Aleksandar13 Thanks for the good write up. I'm now waiting for the dampener for more than 2 months, I really believe (and hope) that the dampener, quality and function will out-weight any frustration I acquired over that time 🙂

@Danot86 & @Aleksandar13 Did you try some rough off-road / high speed / rocks etc with it and have a comparison to the time before? I imagine it's not the best weather now...

RTW Ténéré 700, UK to India & back on Honda CB500X

farandfurther.org | YouTube | Instagram

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

So mine arrived just for the Christmas so I've put it on the bike, set to 11, and took it for some off-road tracks around and the initial impressions is that it does give the bike off-road more confidence and stability.

I'm not entirely sure but in terms of cornering on the road I feel like the bike "falls" more into the corner especially in mid section. Weird I know but that's my feeling. Anybody else has it?

I've made a short unboxing & installation video, more for fun than anything else. Speaking about installation, I have a question @Aleksandar13. The position of the washer... I was not sure if it should be under the nut or under the mounting block but I put it on as you have it in your guide as there is no guidance from MSC.

• Like 1

Back it off to a minimum on tar road. Do the same in deep sand. Works best over ruts, roots, rocks, and rough ground.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FAR&FURTHER said:

So mine arrived just for the Christmas so I've put it on the bike, set to 11, and took it for some off-road tracks around and the initial impressions is that it does give the bike off-road more confidence and stability.

I'm not entirely sure but in terms of cornering on the road I feel like the bike "falls" more into the corner especially in mid section. Weird I know but that's my feeling. Anybody else has it?

I've made a short unboxing & installation video, more for fun than anything else. Speaking about installation, I have a question @Aleksandar13. The position of the washer... I was not sure if it should be under the nut or under the mounting block but I put it on as you have it in your guide as there is no guidance from MSC.

the feeling you have on the road will be similar to too tight head bearings.  back off damping when on the road.

have fun

• Premium Member

@bth2 Will give it a try, it's true that on road (unless going 170km/h which I'm not) I don't need the damper action. Good point.

@Rider 101 Back it off in the deep sand? Interesting, I'd thought there I'd also use it (eg 11 or something). It is indeed mainly for terrain you mention. I'm going to deep sand in 2 weeks so I'll try it.

After more than 2k miles on the road with the damper and playing with setting, still think it is worth the money especially if you are using the bike like I am... The steering input is so smooth now and it just makes the bike feel more solid at higher speeds and corner exist when accelerating hard. 

Off road is not my think so others have reported above. 

Aleks 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 10:00 PM, FAR&FURTHER said:

@Rider 101 Back it off in the deep sand? Interesting, I'd thought there I'd also use it (eg 11 or something). It is indeed mainly for terrain you mention. I'm going to deep sand in 2 weeks so I'll try it.

The theory is to be a little "loose" in sand and go with the flow. If the damper is too tight it will steer you  rather than yo being in control.

Let us know how you go in 2 weeks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm curious if most people who are fitting the damper have aftermarket fork springs or stock? If stock, are you lightweight (fit the fork profile)?  I'm thinking I should spend cash first on a good set of springs and only after that look at this kind of enhancement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, NotGoodAtUsrnms said:

I'm curious if most people who are fitting the damper have aftermarket fork springs or stock? If stock, are you lightweight (fit the fork profile)?  I'm thinking I should spend cash first on a good set of springs and only after that look at this kind of enhancement.

I have changed both the front and the back springs on the bike and fitted the ralle motto after... But my bike has a different geometry now with the 17 inch wheels ... 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Hello everyone, especially owners of the RM3,

I had a problem with mine that the adjustment knob got stuck. After MSC got back I've put together quick video how to fix it - just clean it.