Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

GPS, which connector

Per Christensen

Question

Hi

Can anybody tell me the name or provide a picture of the 2 PIN connector in the right side for connecting my Garmin Zumo XT ?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Per Christensen said:

Hi

Can anybody tell me the name or provide a picture of the 2 PIN connector in the right side for connecting my Garmin Zumo XT ?

I think it's a sumitumo MT or YZ can't remember which.

Bear in mind there are spare connections on both sides. 1 is for 8amp supply and the left hand one is a 3 amp supply which you will need this connector for. Its ign fed so nav will shut down when ign turned off and only need the two wires.

the nav connector use the 3 amp and leave the other spare for higher amperage use like heated grips. The yamaha heated grip plug straight in on the right side on the panel.

CDBACB7A-2957-4A1C-9E80-ADE3F72131F1.png

E38FD339-14F5-40C5-B2ED-E15C692CFF85.jpeg

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Matth said:

You can see the white connector right in the middle of the picture.

Thank you. so all both connectors in the right side are Sumitomo 3 ?   

Funnily enough i did write that 3 pin and a two on the right side but another 3 pin on the left (both sides) where I connected my nav to hence my pic but I amended it as never could find the 2 pin.

i think the chap needed to know just for the nav and what connection but thanks for the update and the dia.

Edited by Matth

I'm installing a Zumo XT myself.  I'm thinking about using one of the 3-pin connectors just for the sealed connection, as I don't think I'll use it for anything else (I did use the other one for fog lights).  

Any issue with using the higher amperage connection for GPS?

Does it matter which of the two power wires/pins I use?

4 hours ago, Toei said:

Any issue with using the higher amperage connection for GPS?

No issue. 

4 hours ago, Toei said:

Does it matter which of the two power wires/pins I use?

It does not. 

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:44 AM, BMRT7 said:

This is incorrect.

There are 4 total switched connectors on this bike. (2) 3 pin connectors and (2) 2 pin connectors. On the right side there is a 2 pin and a 3 pin.

3 pin sealed sumitumo connectors are below. One on each side of bike. One meant for factory heated grips and one meant for factory fog lights:

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.thumb.jpeg.b0c162724cbc3812be210663517d4ed2.jpeg

BOTH of these plugs share the same fuse and it’s a 10 amp located under the seat. These are labeled accessory. 

Then there are two unsealed 2 pin connectors, again one on each side of bike. On the ride side there is nothing connected. On the left side, it goes to the factory cig plug.

F4366191-61CD-4955-969A-3411F52183CD.jpeg

These are also BOTH wired to the same fuse. It is only a 2 amp fuse. Located under the seat and labeled Aux.

Edit: All that to say, use the 2 pin connector on the right side of the bike.

Why does the factory connector for the heated grips use 3 pins?  I'm installing aftermarket heated grips (Apollo Koso) which only have positive and negative ring terminals for direct connection to the battery.  My plan is to cut off the ring terminals and install a 3 pin Sumimoto connector to connect with the factory harness.   Which of the two hot (correct term?) factory pins in the Sumitomo 3-pin connector should I connect to?  Will it matter that the other one is not used?

9 hours ago, A A Ron said:

Why does the factory connector for the heated grips use 3 pins?  I'm installing aftermarket heated grips (Apollo Koso) which only have positive and negative ring terminals for direct connection to the battery.  My plan is to cut off the ring terminals and install a 3 pin Sumimoto connector to connect with the factory harness.   Which of the two hot (correct term?) factory pins in the Sumitomo 3-pin connector should I connect to?  Will it matter that the other one is not used?

There are three pins because the factory systems use a relay setup that you can see in the wiring diagram. You can connect to either of the hot wires. It will not matter than one is unused.

I did the same for my grips.

I have 4 extra  YZ 090 Female Connectors coming in.  Minimum order... these should fit the two-pin connector (not confirmed yet).  But if they do, I'll have some extra to sell.

Edited by ride2little
  • Like 1

• Moderators
3 hours ago, ride2little said:

I have 4 extra  YZ 090 Female Connectors coming in.  Minimum order... these should fit the two-pin connector (not confirmed yet).  But if they do, I'll have some extra to sell.

Interested if they'll fit, sure hope so as I keep coming up empty trying to source them.  I'd be interested in a couple of them and/or a source. 

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

1 hour ago, CAJW said:

Interested if they'll fit, sure hope so as I keep coming up empty trying to source them.  I'd be interested in a couple of them and/or a source. 

Cool.  I'll let you know as soon as they come in.  I ordered through EasternBeaver.com  Has a minuimum order + Fedex only (from Japan).

but if you hold off, I'm getting 5. Let me test the fit. I only need one, may keep a second, that leaves three.

More questions on connectors pls. I understand there are 4 connectors 0n the bike 2 x 2 pins and 2 x 3 pins, one of each on either side of front plastics. 

I have the OEM heated grips and the OEM LED flashers Plus indicators, both installed by the dealer. 

Would it be right to assume that a) the RHS 3 pin connector is used for the OEM heated grips, b) LED flashers plus indicators would not have required another connector? 

c) so I should have one spare 2 pin connector on RHS and one spare 3 pin on LHS (as 2 pin on LHS is used for factory 12V socket) 

If yes, I plan to use the LHS 3 pin for a GPS (Zumo XT). I also plan to connect a USB socket on the same circuit as the factory 12V, increase the fuse rating. All this makes sense?

Apologies for long winded questions but I am a novice at this. Cheers 

On 8/31/2020 at 12:44 PM, BMRT7 said:

This is incorrect.

There are 4 total switched connectors on this bike. (2) 3 pin connectors and (2) 2 pin connectors. On the right side there is a 2 pin and a 3 pin.

3 pin sealed sumitumo connectors are below. One on each side of bike. One meant for factory heated grips and one meant for factory fog lights:

CA87DA4E-794A-4284-851C-6315E99CB961.thumb.jpeg.b0c162724cbc3812be210663517d4ed2.jpeg

BOTH of these plugs share the same fuse and it’s a 10 amp located under the seat. These are labeled accessory. 

Then there are two unsealed 2 pin connectors, again one on each side of bike. On the ride side there is nothing connected. On the left side, it goes to the factory cig plug.

F4366191-61CD-4955-969A-3411F52183CD.jpeg

These are also BOTH wired to the same fuse. It is only a 2 amp fuse. Located under the seat and labeled Aux.

Edit: All that to say, use the 2 pin connector on the right side of the bike.

Do these Sumitomo 3 pin connectors require soldering or just crimping? 

1 hour ago, CSMRich said:

Do these Sumitomo 3 pin connectors require soldering or just crimping? 

Just crimping. Put the seal on the wire, strip the wire to the correct length, crimp both sections of the pin to the exposed wire and the insulation/seal. 

Hard to do properly unless you have the correct crimping tool. Your standard automotive bullet connector crimper won’t work.  If you don’t have the correct tool it can be done with needle nose pliers and patience but plan on ordering extra pins. 

my shipment of 3 pin plugs from Eastern Beaver arrived Saturday, and now I have connected my Oxford Heated Grips.

about 3/4 down the page - Power Leads for Aux Light Connector

On 11/5/2020 at 7:17 PM, Treps said:

More questions on connectors pls. I understand there are 4 connectors 0n the bike 2 x 2 pins and 2 x 3 pins, one of each on either side of front plastics. 

I have the OEM heated grips and the OEM LED flashers Plus indicators, both installed by the dealer. 

Would it be right to assume that a) the RHS 3 pin connector is used for the OEM heated grips, b) LED flashers plus indicators would not have required another connector? 

c) so I should have one spare 2 pin connector on RHS and one spare 3 pin on LHS (as 2 pin on LHS is used for factory 12V socket) 

If yes, I plan to use the LHS 3 pin for a GPS (Zumo XT). I also plan to connect a USB socket on the same circuit as the factory 12V, increase the fuse rating. All this makes sense?

Apologies for long winded questions but I am a novice at this. Cheers 

a) they (Yamaha dealer) -for whatever reason- used the LHS 3 pin connector for the heated grips on two bikes I have seen.

b) correct, no other connector needed.

c) correct again, except that it could be you have a free 3 pin connector on RHS instead of LHS depending on where the dealer has fitted your heated grips.

Cheers

Doc

• Like 1

On 2/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, AllOfTheData said:

Any idea on where to buy one and not direct from China? 

I ended up getting the connectors and terminals from cycle terminal. He has them but not on the website. 

• Like 1