Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

600 Mile Service Costs UK

Engineer

I see from a recent post that @jeeves1275 was charged £87 for his first service. This sounds fairly reasonable to me. My first service from the dealer who sold me the bike charged me £172.55 for my first service. This seems totally unreasonable to me. Has anyone else been charged any thing similar.

I am surprised that Yamaha do not quote a standard price for services carried out by their dealers.

I don't want to name this particular dealer, but I won't be going anywhere near them in future.

I paid £127. It’s basically based on each dealers hourly rate, so there is no set service cost. £87 was a bargain. 

• Like 1

I'm certainly going to haggle as I have literally just picked bike up and I'm at 150miles already so I'll be at 600 in next few weeks if not next week so feels like a slap in the face you just pay all that money for new bike, no doubt some new gear and they hit you with a service bill straight away. I know it's not a huge amount of money but you'd think it would be included in the sale price then after that pay as you go.

On 9/6/2020 at 10:26 AM, Engineer said:

My first service from the dealer who sold me the bike charged me £172.55 for my first service.

Wow 😲 bit rich for an oil change, check a few things are tight and run a diagnostic check!

FWIW my dealer is Alford Bros in Folkestone, not much use for you guys up North though!

I agree that as a good will gesture why not just do it for free?

Edited by jeeves1275
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, jeeves1275 said:

Wow 😲 bit rich for an oil change, check a few things are tight and run a diagnostic check!

FWIW my dealer is Alford Bros in Folkestone, not much use for you guys up North though!

I agree that as a good will gesture why not just do it for free?

Just awaiting delivery of my White/Red T7 from Alfords, I live in Minster Ramsgate ! 

1 hour ago, Spelldrummer said:

Just awaiting delivery of my White/Red T7 from Alfords, I live in Minster Ramsgate ! 

Hi Neighbour!

Well at least you know you're not going to be ripped off with the service!

If you ever fancy meeting up for a ride drop me a line....

Cheers

I was stung ! First time back to Yamaha for years so (far too casual and trusting) I just booked in at the most local (and long standing / well established) Yamaha dealer. Why worry after my local Kawaski and KTM dealers had been really good over the years.

£201 - ouch!. 

Looking at the bill they have a set £125 (over 125cc) first service rate and then parts plus VaT make up the rest.

That dealer (Arnolds, Burton on Trent including their shops at Loughborough and Leicester) wont be seeing me again.

Ah well at the least the dealer I bought it from gave me a very good deal but they are over 100 miles away.

216 pounds at Freestyle Yamaha in Chichester... Not happy. This is KTM price range, and this supposed to be a cheaper bike to run?

• Sad 1

I paid 55 euro, labor offered, here in T7's paradise. Besides the cheap services we enjoy sunshine, dirt roads and great beers. You are welcome. 😎     

• Haha 1

Consider emigration!

Just to rub salt in (as a UK expat in Thailand).....56 quid over here......  😉🙏🇹🇭

Mind you (just to feel the salt myself)........the bike cost 10,900 quid.......

On 9/16/2020 at 11:09 AM, Fnogueira said:

I paid 55 euro, labor offered, here in T7's paradise. Besides the cheap services we enjoy sunshine, dirt roads and great beers. You are welcome. 😎     

And don't forget the seafood and the wine and the cakes and...all right, I have to come back, when I can...

• 2 months later...

Dealer in Yeovil £175 inc changing front sprocket / fully synthetic oil and some nice coffee and bike cleaned.

• 3 weeks later...

1st Service @ 600 miles was £150

2nd Service @ 6000 miles was £120

(I did do the rear brake pads myself before it went in for its 2nd service)

Labour, oil, filter, sump-plug washer and a charge for 'environmental disposal ' of my old oil both times.

No idea why the 2nd one was £30 cheaper. They had the bike off me for over a week, and I was half expecting them to a add a storage charge to the bill! I won't mention names, but it was a Yamaha main stealer.