Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Yamaha Ténéré 700 chain mate

Adventure6965

Perhaps gentlemen you are over thinking this adjust to the handbook you won't go far wrong.

I like the gauge adventure6965 made.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 12/7/2020 at 4:01 PM, Mapbook said:

Perhaps gentlemen you are over thinking this adjust to the handbook you won't go far wrong.

I like the gauge adventure6965 made.

Agreed. Did someone say "best oil"?

Edited by kainic
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

I have noticed that a lot of people often times question the official factory repair manual. I have always followed the recommendations in the factory's manuals for all my bikes and have never encountered a problem. Not in 34 years riding bikes, or the car, big rigs, or planes I have worked on. Not once! 

These are the people who built the tarn thing from the ground up. If someone knows the bike is them. I am not saying that engineers don't make mistakes, of course they do. If they never did we wouldn't have recalls. Nor I am not saying that you need to do as I do, it's your bike and you are riding it, not me. But hey, I do things by the book but that is me. 

For those who think that the recommended chain slack is too tight, have you considered the way the T7's suspension is designed? The T7 rear end design is very special and it's not like your everyday bike. It may look the same but it is not.

When you accelerate the T7 the rear wheel digs into the ground and the rear stiffens, which causes the front wheel to dig in too. In other bikes the rear wheel doesn't do that and the bike's rear end dives down onto the suspension and the weight of the bike shifts backwards, reducing steering. Something less noticeable now days due to bikes with electronic suspensions.   

Yamaha accomplished this by placing the counter shaft way high on the gear box. This is one of the things that make the T7 so special. I don't know this, but because the counter shaft is so high, perhaps Yamaha can get away with a tighter chain.  If you think that it's too tight, have some ride your bike and ride next to them on the left, then look at the chain, you will notice all the slack. 

Actually, Ryan at Fort9 can explain it way better than I can. Keep an eye on the chain slack as he rides.

3 hours ago, Yasenia said:

I have noticed that a lot of people often times question the official factory repair manual. I have always followed the recommendations in the factory's manuals for all my bikes and have never encountered a problem. Not in 34 years riding bikes, or the car, big rigs, or planes I have worked on. Not once! 

These are the people who built the tarn thing from the ground up. If someone knows the bike is them. I am not saying that engineers don't make mistakes, of course they do. If they never did we wouldn't have recalls. Nor I am not saying that you need to do as I do, it's your bike and you are riding it, not me. But hey, I do things by the book but that is me. 

For those who think that the recommended chain slack is too tight, have you considered the way the T7's suspension is designed? The T7 rear end design is very special and it's not like your everyday bike. It may look the same but it is not.

When you accelerate the T7 the rear wheel digs into the ground and the rear stiffens, which causes the front wheel to dig in too. In other bikes the rear wheel doesn't do that and the bike's rear end dives down onto the suspension and the weight of the bike shifts backwards, reducing steering. Something less noticeable now days due to bikes with electronic suspensions.   

Yamaha accomplished this by placing the counter shaft way high on the gear box. This is one of the things that make the T7 so special. I don't know this, but because the counter shaft is so high, perhaps Yamaha can get away with a tighter chain.  If you think that it's too tight, have some ride your bike and ride next to them on the left, then look at the chain, you will notice all the slack. 

Actually, Ryan at Fort9 can explain it way better than I can. Keep an eye on the chain slack as he rides.

The amount of people regurgitating what they heard on that vid is staggering, especially when they think anti squat is something special.  

All bikes experience anti squat under acceleration, Some more, some less.  Racers have tuned anti squat forever so to think/say this is new or special is simply wrong.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, williestreet said:

The amount of people regurgitating what they heard on that vid is staggering, especially when they think anti squat is something special.  

All bikes experience anti squat under acceleration, Some more, some less.  Racers have tuned anti squat forever so to think/say this is new or special is simply wrong.  

True. In 4x4 offroading it's even more common. These guys consider anti-squat / anti-dive and their effects all the time. More anti-squat isn't always better, totally depends on your terrain and driving style.

I know a little bit about it, since I occasionally attend RC crawler competitions. Same concept there.

10 hours ago, williestreet said:

I didn't say that it was new and I think that Ryan didn't say it either. But most bikes do have the counter shaft lower. I know because my friend who wanted one and I went to a couple of local dealers and we compared the position of the counter shaft between my T7 and other bikes, and in the T7 it is positioned higher than most.

You are correct, all designers look for some anti squat, but Yamaha did get it pretty good this time around. If not the T7 would be just another bike. The T7 doesn't have the best suspension, we all know that, specially when comparing it with bikes with electronic suspension.

What Yamaha did with the T7 is something special. What exactly is it, you can get people in a technical forum or chat site and they'll debate it until the cows come home. I know because when I first got mine I found a video in which people were going at it in the comments. Everyone with a different theory. The only thing they agreed on was that it is a pretty amazing bike... for a lot of people. Not all, but a lot.

Anyway, it's all good! 

3 hours ago, Tenerider said:

True. In 4x4 offroading it's even more common. These guys consider anti-squat / anti-dive and their effects all the time. More anti-squat isn't always better, totally depends on your terrain and driving style.

I know a little bit about it, since I occasionally attend RC crawler competitions. Same concept there.

Nice! Wow, you are all over the place, aren't ya? It's good, the more stuff you get into the more you learn. People who are good at driving off road are like magicians. Often climbing or going over things that unless I saw it with my own two eyes I would not believe. 

49 minutes ago, Yasenia said:

Nice! Wow, you are all over the place, aren't ya? It's good, the more stuff you get into the more you learn. People who are good at driving off road are like magicians. Often climbing or going over things that unless I saw it with my own two eyes I would not believe. 

Actually, I am not good at it, but it's fun anyways 😅

And remember: It's RC crawling only. 1:10 scale "cars".20220418_131628.jpg.2ffc28af4ca29d5ee826370f21fd8abe.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tenerider said:

Actually, I am not good at it, but it's fun anyways 😅

And remember: It's RC crawling only. 1:10 scale "cars".20220418_131628.jpg.2ffc28af4ca29d5ee826370f21fd8abe.jpg

Yeah I know, RC stands for Remote Control. None the less you learned something new. And I have seen people racing those little buggers, they can be very fast and jump really high. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After reading this topic I decided to make a 3D printed version of this anyone can make.

Take a look and let me know if you think this is practical.

Thingiverse Chain Mate

IMG_20220430_210646.jpg

IMG_20220430_210418.jpg

IMG_20220430_210442.jpg

• Like 3