Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hepco and Becker tank (crash) bars

husky123

I don’t see much out there on these. I’m thinking of just trying the tank guards without the lower engine guards just because my AXP skidplate may interfere. Does anyone have any experience with H&B tank guards? Thanks for any insight. 

0 insight on the uppers although I went the other way and got H&B lowers only since I'm most interested in engine protection, and I figure the handlebars will "catch" the upper before it hits the ground in most scenarios, barring a large pointy rock or something.

I do already see an issue with the lowers interfering with the OEM centerstand (you have to replace a few 50mm centerstand bolts on the clutch side with 90mm bolts)... I didn't really think about skid plate interference when I ordered, guess I should have.

"How rare that we can point ourselves inevitably west and go, go, go. Run out the highway and the hills. Slide our fingertips over the creases and the valleys of the impossibility that is America. You can’t grasp its vastness from a plane. It’s diversity from a map. You have to put your feet on the ground. Your hands in the dirt."   -   Zach Bowman

I have the Hepco and Becker.....everything.  Upper and lower crash bars. The handle bar brush guards and the center stand. The side luggage racks and the tail bag rack. The magnetic tank bag holder and the bag  and also their tail bag. Excellent products. Everything is sturdy and bolts up with no "tweaking" to make it fit. My only complaint is that the installation instructions are damn near worthless. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, husky123 said:

I don’t see much out there on these. I’m thinking of just trying the tank guards without the lower engine guards just because my AXP skidplate may interfere. Does anyone have any experience with H&B tank guards? Thanks for any insight. 

I have the upper H&B guards on my T7.  Not too bulky, nice finish, and easy to install. 

T7-ACD.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/9/2020 at 10:10 PM, Seventh Son said:

I have the upper H&B guards on my T7.  Not too bulky, nice finish, and easy to install. 

@Seventh Son This post is forever ago, but since you just have the upper H/B bars... do they  even touch the ground if the bike is dropped? Seems like the handlebars would keep these bars from even coming into play.

2 hours ago, motoddb said:

@Seventh Son This post is forever ago, but since you just have the upper H/B bars... do they  even touch the ground if the bike is dropped? Seems like the handlebars would keep these bars from even coming into play.

Honestly, I don't know.  Fortunately, I haven't dropped my bike yet.  I figured that the upper HB bars would be enough to at least protect the radiators in a fall, but you might be correct in that the handlebars could be the first thing to hit the ground. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hepco Becker has released a new full coverage Tank Guard Extreme crash bar that looks very well thought out.  

hepco-becker-tank-guard-extreme-yamaha-t

<p>Are you looking to take your bike to the Extreme?</p> <p>If you answered yes to the cheesiest question we could possibly think of than this guard is for you! Hepco & Becker have just released the Extreme version of their...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 1:06 AM, jas340 said:

I have the Hepco and Becker.....everything.  Upper and lower crash bars. The handle bar brush guards and the center stand. The side luggage racks and the tail bag rack. The magnetic tank bag holder and the bag  and also their tail bag. Excellent products. Everything is sturdy and bolts up with no "tweaking" to make it fit. My only complaint is that the installation instructions are damn near worthless. 

Hey Jas, any  photos of your set up. I have the Rally edition and this stuff looks the dogs danglies.  I'm  still debating about rear End can protection  as it's just waiting to be bent. 

My only Complaint with these is that they come back a little far and my knees hit. I am about 6’5”. 

4 hours ago, Bryce19 said:

My only Complaint with these is that they come back a little far and my knees hit. I am about 6’5”. 

Show off 

11 minutes ago, Mickeyboy said:

Show off 

In this case it’s not a good thing! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 9/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, Seventh Son said:

T7-ACD.jpg

Are you still using these? and if so, are you still happy?

7 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Are you still using these? and if so, are you still happy?

Yes, still have them and they are great.

1 minute ago, Seventh Son said:

Yes, still have them and they are great.

Thanks for the response. 

been looking at the heed basic as well, so guess i have some thinking to do

3 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Thanks for the response. 

been looking at the heed basic as well, so guess i have some thinking to do

You're welcome.

I looked at the Heed and they looked good too.  The H&B's were easy to install.  Can't go wrong with either.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread to if how others feel about the upper tank guard. i love the simplicity, and am not looking for some full guards that makes a total cage around the bike. Just something to give the radiators and side plastics some protections in a fall. Looking at an install video, it looks like the two mounting points are 1 up front, like other companies use, and then this one goes into the engine block on the aside? is that correct? Should that be of concern in a fall?

Any opinions would be great. 

1 hour ago, johnnygolucky said:

Bumping this thread to if how others feel about the upper tank guard. i love the simplicity, and am not looking for some full guards that makes a total cage around the bike. Just something to give the radiators and side plastics some protections in a fall. Looking at an install video, it looks like the two mounting points are 1 up front, like other companies use, and then this one goes into the engine block on the aside? is that correct? Should that be of concern in a fall?

I installed the Chinese version of them off Amazon that also came with the engine crash bars I likely won't install in favor of glass fiber reinforced plastic case guards.  Honestly didn't want to install any crash bars, but went for a ride with a buddy who had a get-off on his brand new Tuareg 660 with no damage to his plastics (even though he sustained a broken Black Dog foot peg, damaged muffler and stock hand guards).  The crash bars were so cheap I couldn't justify not buying them, even if I don't ever use the lowers.  The fit wasn't perfect but I managed to get them to fit up reasonably well with just enough clearance to remove the plastic.

20221208_162635[1].jpg

20221208_163017[1].jpg

20221208_162723[1].jpg

5 hours ago, johnnygolucky said:

Heavy Duty Enduro.
IMG_20220505_182655.jpg.0edacce0b6e099652439124027d12310.jpgIMG_20220630_191015.jpg.d18ee9f2197fce96f9903d83ff2430fa.jpg

Heavy Duties Enduro are the best looking, almost invisible, and really cheap. Might need to cut things on your skid.

I ordered the H&B Extreme tank guard with my bike.

Very happy with them, they did  their job three or four times. No bending yet, but only low speed tipovers.

20220903_183417.jpg.88beda31a6b3f5a1474e6f4ff16b6753.jpg

I too have the Chinese variants (secondhand on eBay - just listed as T700 crash bars)but not had the ‘balls’ to install them - worried about removing the engine bolts and if the longer replacements are ok

A seller on eBay has these crosspro aluminium ones for £100

apparently they supply adventure spec 

C0C4F3BA-85D1-4F22-B0E3-64DBE8E3328F.jpeg

Edited by Lewie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have them crash bars with axp skid plate fits well just cut skid plate round the bars which is easy as its plastic by far best skid plate and bars