Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New 2020 T7 - quirky transmission?

253T7

Hi all - new to the forum and new to the T7. Looking forward to being part of the community.

I am a new owner of a 2020 T7! Have owned a lot of motorcycles but this is my first Yamaha and also my first "new" bike, I have never had to take anything through the break in process before.

Curious about the behavior of the transmission. Right from mile one the shifting seems pretty klunky, especially compared to other bikes I have owned. Upshifts make a substantial "thunk" going into gear. Downshifts can get sticky going from 4th down, if I am at a dead stop it sometimes requires a little clutch manipulation to get it into neutral. Gearbox also has kind of a whine when decelerating.

So i'm wondering if should I be worried about this? I am only 80 miles into the break in, will the gearbox settle down after a while or do these things sound like a potential problem? Is this just the nature of the beast and I need to find the sweet spots for fluid gearbox function? All fluids are where they need to be and the bike functions wonderfully aside from these issues. I took my test ride on a different T7 a week earlier but I was so caught up in the thrill of the moment I can't recall if the transmission behaved the same way. I really love this thing, hoping it's not a mechanical problem right out of the showroom.

Any info and expertise is appreciated. Thanks!

• Like 3

I've been through the same issues, according to my dealer it's "normal", it improved after first service, I have around 2000 km on my bike now and it has improved even more, although I still get a false neutral now and then, there has been a few words written on this subject in this forum.

Others have stated changing engine oils to full synthetic helped a great deal.

Like yourself I've never had a bike that needs such a heave into next gears, but I'm used to it now.

• Like 1

Mine was the same. Clunky upshifts, and downshifts often found false neutrals. It got better closer to the first service, but after the service it was much better. Now, after 4500 km it is getting very good. It still can happen that I get a false neutral, but it is  not something that happens a lot.

• Like 2

Good to know, guess i'll sit it out for a while and see what transpires. The full synthetic is a great tip also, will give that a try.

Thanks for the input!

Hmmm mine was nice from the get go. Easy and positive shifting. No false neutrals. Nice slick gearbox. Maybe mention it to your dealer so it’s ‘on record’ and see how it beds in. Cheers.

• Like 1

Making James May look quick!

Mine had a lot to do with changing my oil at around 200 miles. Not really needed, but I noticed shifting went a lot smoother when I changed it sooner.

• Like 2

Transmission needs break in, it will get better. The first oil change after break in is very important as the oil shears a lot in the process.

• Like 3

I just rolled over 1100 km on mine. Transmission seemed to break in around 700-800 km and seems fairly smooth. 

• Like 2

Called the dealership today and spoke to the service manager. He said they have not heard of any similar transmission issues from other T7 customers, recommended I bring it in for a look and a test drive by some of their guys who have a lot of experience with the T7 and MT07. Probably get it up there sometime this week, will update with what happens. 

3 hours ago, 253T7 said:

Called the dealership today and spoke to the service manager. He said they have not heard of any similar transmission issues from other T7 customers, recommended I bring it in for a look and a test drive by some of their guys who have a lot of experience with the T7 and MT07. Probably get it up there sometime this week, will update with what happens. 

Will be interesting to know what say that guys.

In my case, after near 7.000km and having changed oil to a full synthetic one, the things are better, but far of can be compared with butter. 

The tension adjustment of the clutch and the precission with the combination of throttle-clutch  during the changes helps higly, but continues to be rough and noisy in many times.

Teneré 700 '20

WR250R '10

On 9/16/2020 at 1:56 PM, Canzvt said:

7000kms now, 3rd oil change, and smooth as butter. 

Great to hear your smooth gear change, can I ask, was your bike suffering the same transmission issues as others have stated before you racked up 7k?

Yep. Notchy, missed shifts, false neutrals. Now, nothing. Haven't found a false neutral or missed a shift in 2500kms. Shifts like my WR450 (which means think about shifting and it does). I tend to be a lazy shifter. I don't actively shift/lift the lever, more like nudge it or prod it. Would never get out of first gear on a Harley...😆

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

The better you bed them in with smooth consistent gear changes the better they get. Changed the oil at 250 and 700 and again at 3500. Mine is superb. If you rant them and push the selection method hard they can scratch the shafts internally, this has to be done hard tho for this to happen.

if your stationary and your in 4 th lets say dont force the gears down. Let the clutch out lightly with foot on gearstick and let it click down. The engine and box are legendary strong.

Edited by Matth
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

just adding to this older post. 

i do think there is something going on with the shifting on the T7.

my bike has nearly 10,000 Km on it. and if anything I feel its getting clunkier.  its had 2 oil changes so far.  will soon get another so I'll be talking to the dealer about it.

I've never had this with other bikes.. you dont think about it or notice it so much when you are giving it some stick or off road etc.   but going easy round town its gets into your head.  I keep adjusting the clutch play even though its in tolerance.

1 hour ago, chrisg7nz said:

just adding to this older post. 

i do think there is something going on with the shifting on the T7.

my bike has nearly 10,000 Km on it. and if anything I feel its getting clunkier.  its had 2 oil changes so far.  will soon get another so I'll be talking to the dealer about it.

I've never had this with other bikes.. you dont think about it or notice it so much when you are giving it some stick or off road etc.   but going easy round town its gets into your head.  I keep adjusting the clutch play even though its in tolerance.

What oil are you running? Mine was rough and clunky until i did its first oil change at 1000km and went with full synthetic Penrite. Was instantly better shifting and getting better every day.

• Like 1

I never did get mine back to the dealer for a check, shortly after my last post the winter weather turned here in the PNW so my riding has been minimal. I had just hit 500 miles and dropped the oil/filter, be interesting to see if that changes things for the better, even slightly, once I can get out there and put some more miles on it.  Definitely looking forward to going full synthetic...

On 2/23/2021 at 12:09 AM, rumrum said:

What oil are you running? Mine was rough and clunky until i did its first oil change at 1000km and went with full synthetic Penrite. Was instantly better shifting and getting better every day.

Interesting re your noticing the full synthetic straight away.

The shop would have used Yamaha fluids for the first change.  For the 2nd change I went Mobile1 4T which has always been my go to. 

But I didn't notice anything significant with the move to synthetic.  Certainly oil will be one of the things I'll talk to the shop about.   

3 hours ago, chrisg7nz said:

Interesting re your noticing the full synthetic straight away.

The shop would have used Yamaha fluids for the first change.  For the 2nd change I went Mobile1 4T which has always been my go to. 

But I didn't notice anything significant with the move to synthetic.  Certainly oil will be one of the things I'll talk to the shop about.   

Was planning on running semi synthetic but was none available in town (north west Aus) The shifting just got better with use.

My shifting felt less notchy after the first service (oil change using conventional Yamalube). The service guy who also has one with 20kmi did his shifting got better after switching to synthetic. 

My bike has 7200 miles on it and it shifts OK.....I have to lift my foot off the peg slightly to up or downshift due to down shift lever adjustment limitation + I have 15mm lower SW Motech Ion foot pegs due to my 35” inseam.  So, I am slightly cramped in the legs leading to a less than optimal shift position.  I have the long back ordered Yamaha tall rally seat on order.....this will get me up a little higher and make shifting easier.

That said, I have 3200 miles on regular Yamalube oil and think the bike shifts fine.  I owned a KTM 690 Enduro R prior to the T700.......I had a lot of false neutrals in 4-5-6 unless shifted sharply.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gearbox is as clunky as my ‘00 Wide Glide. Its not the Huzar that wakes up the neighbours in the morning, its getting it into first gear 😅 Seems like this is a common thing. Its a Yamaha, I’m just gonna roll with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Chiming back in at 950 mi. Things are definitely getting "better", it's feeling less like a tractor and more like a '79 KZ, still far from a precision experience. I have realized that a little technique goes a long way, at least with this bike. It will not tolerate lazy footwork, I need to be square underneath, or on top, of the shifter and engage like I mean it or the gearbox will fight me all the way, even more so now that i'm wearing chunky-toed Formas.  Not sure if this has something to do with the geometry of the linkage, or..? Dunno, never had a machine that was this picky about shifting. It still clunks and clicks but at this point i'm not sweating it as much and assuming it will continue to improve. Moving on to tuning my suspension and getting my luggage set up because the weather is getting nice in the PNW...

• Like 2

Same experience with a clunky transmission when the bike was new, and the behavior was not helped by having boots that are on the stiff side!🙂 The transmission gets better with mileage, but the transmission is far from buttery smooth. Have used Yamalube so far, but will try Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil at the next oil change. Available at Walmart..., i.e. 10 minutes roundtrip vs 1 hour! 

Having rebuilt motorcycle engines many times, I became a firm believer in fully synthetic oils when I tore apart a Moto Morini 500 Sei-V I had in the 1980's about 1000 km after I changed oil in the engine. The Castrol RS (Racing Synthetic) oil was more or less spotless and super clean. That was a WOAH moment! 

After a while you get used to the T7 tranny... 🙂 

• 2 months later...

Every transmission ever made will shift better with the gears turning. To try and go down through four gears at a standstill is poor technique. 

• Like 2