Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New 2020 T7 - quirky transmission?

253T7

On 4/20/2021 at 7:32 AM, 253T7 said:

Chiming back in at 950 mi. Things are definitely getting "better", it's feeling less like a tractor and more like a '79 KZ, still far from a precision experience. I have realized that a little technique goes a long way, at least with this bike. It will not tolerate lazy footwork, I need to be square underneath, or on top, of the shifter and engage like I mean it or the gearbox will fight me all the way, even more so now that i'm wearing chunky-toed Formas.  Not sure if this has something to do with the geometry of the linkage, or..? Dunno, never had a machine that was this picky about shifting. It still clunks and clicks but at this point i'm not sweating it as much and assuming it will continue to improve. Moving on to tuning my suspension and getting my luggage set up because the weather is getting nice in the PNW...

This. Being particular with the gear change is important. And make sure your lever is not obstructed.

On the clunk when shifting from neutral to first, I now suspect it was the clutch lever setup being not quite right, and perhaps not able to be right. I recently fit heavy duty clutch springs and the Camel Adv master clutch lever, and now with the clutch pulled in it snicks into first from standstill and seems to have made most gear changes smoother. The take up is much more progressive and just a very sweet clutch now. 

I have done 16000 kms on my T7 in total, and about 2000 with the new clutch setup.

1704489913_Clutch1.thumb.jpg.09eb270fd3b69c43daab189fa10e54dc.jpg

1824827309_Clutch2.thumb.jpg.1391cfedd4e997f48109b2710d6c310a.jpg

Edited by TimeMachine
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

300 miles in the woods, and a few hundred clutchless shifts, no troubles. 😎

• Like 1

Perhaps this is not entirely on topic but a couple days ago I went offroading through really gnarly mud/water trails and I dropped my bike twice. Afterwards on the road I feel like I noticed my upshifts were noticeably clunkier and louder. As if kicking your bike into first gear when you're about to ride off. Is there any explanation to that or am I just imagining things.

Check tour chain.

A loose chain van cause that zo maybe a dirty ome might have a bad influence as well.

Edited by Ray Ride4life

The shifter pivot could have some grit/dirt making it a bit stiffer. 

They come without any grease, so if you haven't had it off and greased it already this would be a good excuse to take the pivot bolt out and give it a good lubing.

• 4 months later...

Same here, downshifting my T7 (with 300Km) from 3rd down (mostly from 2nd to 1st) hits way too many false neutrals — I hope it gets (a lot) better after a while.

• 1 month later...

Mine is just fine, never had any problems with it, but it is a yamaha box and will never be as smooth as a honda..

i found that it is very sensitive to chain tension, the dealer i got it from insisted that the chain should have aprox 65mm of free play, actually he had it adjusted so it hung down over the lower chain roller when i got it, no need to argue with him about it, he is a mech and believes to be a king in his field and takes input from no one 😆 

when i got it home i took off the shock and cheked it out with the sprocket/swingarmbolt/rearaxel in the same plane, now i use somewhere between 45 and 50 mm with light pressure on the chain (manual states 43-48mm) and that helps a lot with gear change

• Like 3

• 7 months later...