Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

UPDATE- Faulty ignition fuse | Failure at 156 miles

jmitch

Update - after taking the bike to the dealer they identified a faulty fuse. It was completely intact. Once replaced all was good. In hindsight the bike had always seemed a little weak when starting. Now it strikes right up. The bike has some extra fuses in the box, including one extra main fuse. I probably could have fixed the bike knowing what I know now. That said, I hope this helps anyone else that may encounter this in the future. 

Hello all,

Picked up my T7 last week and today it died. Wen to start it up and after a few cranks the display went blank and the bike cut off. It never fully started just glitched out. Now a turn of the key does nothing but turn on the running lights. The display is dead and the bike will not start. The dealer told me to bring it in and the service department said they are three weeks out. The sales guys says he can “slip” in it?!? Crazy to think I am about to trailer my brand new bike back to the dealer for this. I tried disconnecting the battery and reconnected thinking that may reset. No luck. Never had a problem like this, any troubleshooting advice?

Edited by jmitch
Update
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jmitch said:

Thanks! Just checked the main fuse. All fuses are intact and the battery is topped off.  Same result. 

Always swap out fuses! They can check out fine for continuity with a multi meter, but under load failure occurs! Had this problem twice on my bikes, fuses don't cost much and easiest test/fix for electrical issues. 

2 hours ago, Louis said:

Always swap out fuses! They can check out fine for continuity with a multi meter, but under load failure occurs! Had this problem twice on my bikes, fuses don't cost much and easiest test/fix for electrical issues. 

This. /\ /\ Have had the same issue with fuses that check OK but fail under load.

1 hour ago, Alan M said:

Worth  checking the battery earth connections to frame are solid.

agree, sounds like a bad ground. I would NOT touch it and make the dealer make it right since it is a NEW bike. 

Edited by Firebolter

The turn signals work and the running lights come on. That makes me think it’s not the battery or ground. The display is dead, doesn’t cycle on when the key is turned on and the bike will not turn over.

A2AD9214-6BBF-4ED2-AAD5-BB8CB2927956.jpeg

13997720-75AE-4D3B-8D46-76EB60AD25C4.jpeg

Edited by jmitch

Check the operations of the switches and main key switch.  Thinking of the handlebar mounted kill switch.

Edited by ride2little

10 hours ago, Richo said:

keys? im talking about the code registering key
Or the battery has some problem

The North American bikes do not have an immobilizer, hence a code registered key, so that is not the problem.

If it were mine, I would rip into the main harness connecting to the back of the display, but I know my dealer extremely well, and was a Yamaha trained mechanic years ago, so if I didn't find anything, I could still take it to the dealer for warranty. For you, take it back, and have them make it right. You paid for it!

I think I have Yamaha disease...

10 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

The North American bikes do not have an immobilizer, hence a code registered key, so that is not the problem.

If it were mine, I would rip into the main harness connecting to the back of the display, but I know my dealer extremely well, and was a Yamaha trained mechanic years ago, so if I didn't find anything, I could still take it to the dealer for warranty. For you, take it back, and have them make it right. You paid for it!

On the way to the dealer!

E4AE8564-4A89-4E7B-BB62-3820220255DD.jpeg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Canzvt said:

Good luck!

Faulty ignition fuse. Bike is back up and running. Safe to say I’ll be packing some extras from here on out! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great news! Most likely a faulty fuse from the start, but spares are always good.

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Adding the screenshot from the manual just in case someone else encounters the problem.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.21.14 PM.png

• Like 2

This seems to be the very first reported problem with the Tenere... the KTM guys must have been following closely 300 views in 15hrs wow!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was probably a Austrian KTM fuse that the fitter put in to sabotage it!

clearly not a Yamaha fuse!

Edited by Matth
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, jmitch said:

Faulty ignition fuse. Bike is back up and running. Safe to say I’ll be packing some extras from here on out! 

Now  you have seen how a faulty fuse confuses diagnosis of an electrical problem. 🤔 SWAP OUT THE FUSES FIRST! I told you that it would be a cheap test! 🙉 if it was not under warranty the cost of a replacement fuse is way cheaper than service troubleshooting cost.🤑

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rhicks said:

Adding the screenshot from the manual just in case someone else encounters the problem.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 1.21.14 PM.png

I did not see this in the US manual. Super helpful!

*EDIT - it’s there in the US manual! 

Edited by jmitch

2 hours ago, Louis said:

Now  you have seen how a faulty fuse confuses diagnosis of an electrical problem. 🤔 SWAP OUT THE FUSES FIRST! I told you that it would be a cheap test! 🙉 if it was not under warranty the cost of a replacement fuse is way cheaper than service troubleshooting cost.🤑

You were right on the money!  I thought my visual inspection was solid and that the off chance of having a faulty fuse was just that, an off chance! I was wrong! Lesson learned 10x

Edited by jmitch