Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

UPDATE- Faulty ignition fuse | Failure at 156 miles

jmitch

4 hours ago, OU812 said:

This seems to be the very first reported problem with the Tenere... the KTM guys must have been following closely 300 views in 15hrs wow!

Seriously, I almost didn’t want to post it. Google returns zero results for my Tenere 700 won’t start! 

Edited by jmitch
Typo
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, jmitch said:

You were right on the money!  I thought my visual inspection was solid and that the off chance of having a faulty fuse was just that, an off chance! I was wrong! Lesson learned 10x

those tiny fuses are quite hard to see if okay or not tbh...

I had been taught with fuse & electrical items such as wiring: when in doubt, swap it out.

If the initial items are actually okay, then you now have a spare 😄

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the first time I had a faulty fuse it took weeks to fix an intermittent problem. Visually checked out fine, even checked it with a multimeter all good! But  intermittent problem persisted, it  drove me  crazy! 🤪 I replaced the fuse and bingo!🥳 Second time it happened it was a 2 minute fix, so "leave no doubt, swap it out"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Louis said:

Yes, the first time I had a faulty fuse it took weeks to fix an intermittent problem. Visually checked out fine, even checked it with a multimeter all good! But  intermittent problem persisted, it  drove me  crazy! 🤪 I replaced the fuse and bingo!🥳 Second time it happened it was a 2 minute fix, so "leave no doubt, swap it out"

naah, these are not faulty fuses but bad connectors in their sockets. Got same problem in other bikes especially with those tiny fuses with short legs. I pulled the fuse and bend its legs so it sit more tight and bingo. Fuses don't fail, cause there is nothing to fail LOL - they ether blown or not.  

Edited by delirium

28 minutes ago, delirium said:

naah, these are not faulty fuses but bad connectors in their sockets. Got same problem in other bikes especially with those tiny fuses with short legs. I pulled the fuse and bend its legs so it sit more tight and bingo. Fuses don't fail, they ether blown or not.

Nope, that's what I thought the first time, even cleaned the contacts. Problem remained! FAULTY FUSE!  It's more common than you think, this is the second time on this forum I passed on my thoughts on FAULTY fuses and was correct twice. 

Edit, the explanation was; unable to handle any load, but continuity still existed, or heat effects it. I used to think that either the fuse worked or did not work until I had this problem which confused the hell out of me????. I had it  twice, within a year of each other on different bikes, even more strange. So I  swap out the fuse first before looking for another issue. 

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1