Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Question for those who've gone tubelesss

Hammerhead

Did anyone using the outex tubeless bother to file the spoke nipples flat as per their instructions?  Seems like a big job that will not be needed, or is it?

On the rear wheel atleast, the angle the nipples are at would make that flat grinding redundant the moment you spin the nipple to tighten any spokes down the road. 

My guess is it's not a good plan, on the rear anyway

Any experienced input is appreciated.

20201011_151155.jpg

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

So, you can file/grind them down which will make sealing the OUTEX first layer much simpler, but I didn't do mine. Had 2 spoke nipple leaks but that was probably due to haste on my part installing the first 'sticky' layer. Once repaired, I haven't had any problems. TAKE YOUR TIME with this first stage, by using a tire iron, or something rounded/soft edged to make sure the OUTEX tape is wrinkle free around the nipples.

Edited by Canzvt
  • Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Cheers Gents, figured as much. Appreciate the experienced input. Fresh tubeless boots mounting for the soggy season out here on the island. 

• Like 1

Appears I've met with success!

Patient attention to detail & both new sacks are now holding their set PSI with no drop since install. Was a bit of a job to be sure, but the thought of likely never having to wrestle with those beads trailside made it well worth doing. 

Bit tricky getting that motoz GPS carcass to seat out back, but the ratchet strap trick made it happen. 

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hammerhead said:

Appears I've met with success!

Patient attention to detail & both new sacks are now holding their set PSI with no drop since install. Was a bit of a job to be sure, but the thought of likely never having to wrestle with those beads trailside made it well worth doing. 

Bit tricky getting that motoz GPS carcass to seat out back, but the ratchet strap trick made it happen. 

Thanks again for your input.

Any issues seating the bead in the front? I too have installed Outex and was planning on using Motoz GPS. Can’t get the front done though. 

7 hours ago, rattler said:

Any issues seating the bead in the front? I too have installed Outex and was planning on using Motoz GPS. Can’t get the front done though. 

No, same as the rear. Lube the tire, bunch of rotational bouncing  off the floor a to spread it as much as possible, cinch with a ratchet strap so it will start taking air then drop the strap & over inflate till it it seats all round. 

Hardest part was sufficient sealing for the initial taking of air. Those motoz are a STIFF carcass. I've gone with the dunlop trailmax mission up front & it is equally rigid as the motoz, but had no problems seating the bead once it took the air.

• Like 1

Second bike that I’ve converted to tubeless with 3M Marine adhesive and 3m adhesive tape.

on both I did not bother to grind down any nipples. Just take your time and keep it very clean. 

1 hour ago, Lyfe BehindBars said:

Second bike that I’ve converted to tubeless with 3M Marine adhesive and 3m adhesive tape.

on both I did not bother to grind down any nipples. Just take your time and keep it very clean. 

Would you happen to have a link to the specific 3M tape that you used for your tubeless conversion?

12 minutes ago, Seventh Son said:

Would you happen to have a link to the specific 3M tape that you used for your tubeless conversion?

you will need 2 different widths, one for the front wheel, one for the rear wheel

i bought this about 3 years ago and did 2 sets of wheels with them. you may want to shop around for pricing

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WVNWNA4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B007Y7CM1W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00

• Thanks 1