Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sacrificial Exhaust Hanger Build

Samm

• 1 year later...

Hi All, new here having just picked up a T700,  hello to all. Checking out the bike, mods etc I was thinking with this exhaust hanger issue if it would work to just make the silver exhaust clamp more malleable than the frame hanger. So that the clamp arm bends instead of the frame hanger. Drilling say 4mm or 5mm dia holes as the picture would still maintain the hangers ability to support the exhaust, but would potentially allow it to bend first from a side impact instead of the frame. Thoughts??

20220930_073422.jpg

20220930_073621.jpg

• Like 1

I have dropped mine a few times - looking for an excuse to get the Camel-ADV pipe - maybe an early Christmas present.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TenereTragic700 said:

I have dropped mine a few times - looking for an excuse to get the Camel-ADV pipe - maybe an early Christmas present.

You know you want one after hearing mine! 🤣 

Edited by Hollybrook
  • Like 2

I sacrificed the whole exhaust for a MIVV Dakar to solve that problem.

• 2 months later...

In my mind's eye, it seems like this would risk having that area of the muffler strap crack which would be a small bit more expensive and difficult to replace than the $7 Amazon flexible hanger.

On 9/29/2022 at 3:16 PM, Duncs said:

20220930_073422.jpg

• 2 months later...

What I would like to see is a replacement for that chunk of frame that sticks out. I'm not much of a manufacturer, but I imagine the best solution to the problem would be a part that has you cut off most of that frame hanger that sticks out, drilling some holes into it to mount a completely new sacrificial hanger. Or maybe the high exhaust really is the best fix. My only issue with the high exhaust is how it would sit so close to my luggage.
 I do think this is one of the t7's weak points

• 3 weeks later...

New joiner to tenere700.net, and soon to be new owner of a T7!   

The exhaust hanger issue does worry me a little (my used bike has already had one drop to the exhaust side causing the dreaded hanger bend), so I've been following these threads with interest and this seemed like a good place to discuss these two products I've found online.   I was wondering if anyone has used them, or what their thoughts are?

The first is, what appears to be, a sacrificial part to mount between the hanger and the securing exhaust bolt. I guess the idea is by introducing a weak point, this will fail (bend) before the hanger and also reduce the force transmitted to the subframe.  The product comes in a pack of six, so I guessing the material used must be pretty soft and would be considered a consumable part.  The link is below. The product is from Spain, but google translate seems to give you the general idea.

EF848BC0-AB90-4E47-9070-1055ACF84ADE-sca

Yamaha Tenere 700 exhaust reinforcement. Made of 5 mm steel. Ideal to avoid annoying damage to the swingarm caused by falls.

....continued

... continued

The second part is a hanger support 'reinforcement' - Its tricky to tell exactly how this part will work but, on first impressions, it look like a bracket that mount over the existing hanger? If this is the case, then I have my doubts as to its effectiveness as if all it does it bolster the strength of the hanger, then logically any force that normal would bend the hanger is now fully transmitted onto the subframe -potentially solving one problem but introducing a more serious one?

If however the product it designed to replace the hanger entirely  (i.e. cut off the Yamaha part) and provide some sort of clamp to the subframe then maybe this would address the overall issue?   Again, this is a Spanish product, so I'm relying on google translate and the text/photos don't seem to full explain how it works.  Anyone see or heard of them?

FABRICACION ARTESANAL EN ACERO CORTE LASER Y PINTADO AL HORNO. ENTREGA EN 24 HORAS A 15 DIAS DEPENDIENDO DE ESTADO DE FABRICACION. CONSULTAR PLAZO DE ENTREGA

Here's a couple of photos to show the items I was on about in my last two posts

exhuast hanger 1.jpeg

exhuast hanger 2.jpeg

3 hours ago, tricky999 said:

New joiner to tenere700.net, and soon to be new owner of a T7!   

The exhaust hanger issue does worry me a little (my used bike has already had one drop to the exhaust side causing the dreaded hanger bend), so I've been following these threads with interest and this seemed like a good place to discuss these two products I've found online.   I was wondering if anyone has used them, or what their thoughts are?

The first is, what appears to be, a sacrificial part to mount between the hanger and the securing exhaust bolt. I guess the idea is by introducing a weak point, this will fail (bend) before the hanger and also reduce the force transmitted to the subframe.  The product comes in a pack of six, so I guessing the material used must be pretty soft and would be considered a consumable part.  The link is below. The product is from Spain, but google translate seems to give you the general idea.

EF848BC0-AB90-4E47-9070-1055ACF84ADE-sca

Yamaha Tenere 700 exhaust reinforcement. Made of 5 mm steel. Ideal to avoid annoying damage to the swingarm caused by falls.

....continued

Does not appear sacrificial. It reinforces the stock hanger. 6 items (front plate, back plate, nuts, bolts, blah blah blah) not 6 pack.

In my opinion this is not what we’re trying to accomplish and will just transfer stress further up the frame as you mention.

Edited by Samm