Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Clutch travel engagement question

ADVUSA

I've only had a handful of bikes and I remember on them the clutch always started to engage in the first 3/4 of an inch from a full lever pull. 

When I picked up my T7 the clutch was set to engage at about 3/4 of the TRAVEL of the level.

Where typically in the clutch lever travel should the clutch engage?

1 inch ,   50%,   3/4 travel ????

If the free play is correctly adjusted, I wouldn't worry more than that. Surely it's more than 50% of the travel, the important bit is that free play. If it's not enough, you risk cooking your clutch. But you probably know that by experience...

40 minutes ago, marktbike said:

If the free play is correctly adjusted, I wouldn't worry more than that. Surely it's more than 50% of the travel, the important bit is that free play. If it's not enough, you risk cooking your clutch. But you probably know that by experience...

I appreciate that feedback.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADVUSA said:

I've only had a handful of bikes and I remember on them the clutch always started to engage in the first 3/4 of an inch from a full lever pull. 

When I picked up my T7 the clutch was set to engage at about 3/4 of the TRAVEL of the level.

Where typically in the clutch lever travel should the clutch engage?

1 inch ,   50%,   3/4 travel ????

I increased the free play to allow the clutch to engage/dis-engage closer to the hand grip.  Mine engages about 3/4-1”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogan said:

It's generally considered correct technique to disengage the clutch using at most two fingers and ideally just one finger. For that reason most clutches, including the T7 are set up such that the engagement point is at least 3/4 out from the bar. That leaves sufficient room for your fingers to rest between the lever and bar, yet still allow full disengagement of the clutch.

Being as it's a cable clutch, you can pretty much adjust it how you like and to fit your hand size

Personally i have it backed all the way off, increasing the free play, bringing the lever closer to the bar. Even with that adjustment I can still disengage the clutch completely with two fingers, and just enough to avoid stalling/running away with one finger.

Thank you Hogan.