Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Sw-motech SLC Racks

wookee

I decided that I wanted a rack for smaller bags that I could use around town and with a duffle bag on trips.  They also seem pretty stout and light for off-road, which is nice for additional hand placement pulling the bike around.  I had a few shorter bolts lying around so I was able to use the rack without needing the passenger pegs installed again as well.  

I was trying the Legend bags and the Sysbag15 to see what I liked better.  Going with the Sysbag 15 even tho I kinda like the look of the legends.

PXL_20201030_203904693.jpg

PXL_20201030_204949750.jpg

PXL_20201030_205335774.jpg

Nice! I need a rack system for my T7, but now that winter has arrived in north I have 6 months to research what I want! 😬. I go very lightweight with my gear and want to maintain the slender look of the T7. I should post photos of the monster adv bikes that come up the Alaska Highway just stuffed to the gunnels with stuff. bags 5' wide and 5' high! Up to this point I have been doing long rides with my old Ortlieb bags drapped over the top of a duffel bag. Works but not convenient for getting to things. Hassle to tie down.

I've been looking at:

1. SW-Motech SLC racks.

2. Rally Raid Soft Luggage Racks.

3. Tusk Pannier rack and bags (Rocky Mountain ATVMC).

So did you consider the Tusk system? The Rally Raid setup looks interesting, but is very pricey. I like the looks of the Rally Raid racks, but I like the idea that the other 2 racks might provide better protection in tip overs or crashes.

What I like about the system you have installed is that it looks sleek!

On 10/31/2020 at 12:39 PM, YukonPete said:

Nice! I need a rack system for my T7, but now that winter has arrived in north I have 6 months to research what I want! 😬. I go very lightweight with my gear and want to maintain the slender look of the T7. I should post photos of the monster adv bikes that come up the Alaska Highway just stuffed to the gunnels with stuff. bags 5' wide and 5' high! Up to this point I have been doing long rides with my old Ortlieb bags drapped over the top of a duffel bag. Works but not convenient for getting to things. Hassle to tie down.

I've been looking at:

1. SW-Motech SLC racks.

2. Rally Raid Soft Luggage Racks.

3. Tusk Pannier rack and bags (Rocky Mountain ATVMC).

So did you consider the Tusk system? The Rally Raid setup looks interesting, but is very pricey. I like the looks of the Rally Raid racks, but I like the idea that the other 2 racks might provide better protection in tip overs or crashes.

What I like about the system you have installed is that it looks sleek!

No I never considered the Tusk system.  It's cheap and seems decent quality, but it looks like it's wide as a bus. I'm also using the bike for day long dual sport rides and errands between towns.  I don't really need a huge luggage setup.  I wanted something narrow and modular.  I have a 40L duffle I can strap on top for extra room for moto-camping or trips to the beer store.  

I really considered the Adventure Spec stuff, but it's on backorder everywhere it seems.  I will say that I tried attaching my old Ortlieb yellow bags to this and it works, but it's not great.  I think actual plates ment for soft luggage would be better.  I need to try it again with taking off the quick release bobbins on the rack.  It would probably be a bit better of a fit.

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone is interested, here are the pics with the bags finally installed.  🍻

PXL_20201112_182143671.jpg

PXL_20201112_182151036.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookee said:

In case anyone is interested, here are the pics with the bags finally installed.  🍻

PXL_20201112_182143671.jpg

PXL_20201112_182151036.jpg

Do you happen to have photos from the rear of the bike...

For some reason it looks wide to me...

4 minutes ago, TimmyTheHog said:

Thanks for the quick reply!..

and ya, def looks wide for my liking...😬

Yeah it's definitely not a softbag setup

• Like 1

Liking the slim fit of Kriegas new T7 specific OS base. Light weight, rackless, modular. Might just bag me a set of these soon. 

OS-BASE YAMAHA TENERE 700 FIT
kriega-osbase-tenere-main.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-combo24b.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-combo12a.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-combo24-a.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-combo36-a.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-top.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-tailpack.jpg
kriega-osbase-yamaha-t7-parts.jpg
kriega-osbase-yamama-t7-fit1.jpg
kriega-osbase-tenere-fit1.jpg

• Like 2

Expensive, practal & versatile quality, yes. 

Considering the cost, weight & size of comparable rack systems, it still looks to deliver fair value. 

Good gear isn't cheap & cheap gear, isn't good.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Johnnyboxer said:

Which soft bags are these ?

Do they fit ok ?

On these racks ?

Yeah, that bag fits on the rack great.  It's the Legend sc2 or something.  I didn't like the way the bag rolled up, so I went with the Sysbags.  They use the same quick release system.  So they are both great around town.

16 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Liking the slim fit of Kriegas new T7 specific OS base. Light weight, rackless, modular. Might just bag me a set of these soon. 

Like the idea of the Kriega system but it doesn't appear to be pillion friendly 😞 which is important to my pillion 🙂 Anybody got any real world experience of this system with a pillion? Particularly the 18lt bags.

Making James May look quick!

Went with the kriega OS base and OS 18 side bags. 

but i did not like the idea of having a 

carrier belt rubbing against my painted blue sidecovers.

so instead i purchased the SW motech SLC to mount my OS 18 bags on.

spring Will show how it Will work.

BE694FD9-5C1C-4518-A86A-13F3F5C41346.jpeg

21 hours ago, TimG said:

Like the idea of the Kriega system but it doesn't appear to be pillion friendly 😞 which is important to my pillion 🙂 Anybody got any real world experience of this system with a pillion? Particularly the 18lt bags.

No experience.. yet, but it appears you're right, that the kriega OS  system BECOMES the pillion. Which makes it kinda odd they use the pegs as the mount. Mine are off & will be replaced with a custom mounting bracket if this becomes the go to set up. Weight being carried on the saddle & well ahead of the axle, is much of the appeal here.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:41 PM, Hammerhead said:

These types of mounts WILL SCRATCH AND DAMAGE YOUR PAINT!  No matter how tight you snug it, they will move on the bike some and really wear the paint badly. They are great for getting the luggage close to the bike, but at a price. I used a similar setup this summer on the KAT on a 500 EXCF, and you ought to see what it did to plastic! Rubbed it raw in places leaving small gouges. 

If you plan to hardcore this bike in the bush and don't care about paint and body, then this solution will be one of the narrowest, but with a price.

2 hours ago, Firebolter said:

These types of mounts WILL SCRATCH AND DAMAGE YOUR PAINT!  No matter how tight you snug it, they will move on the bike some and really wear the paint badly. They are great for getting the luggage close to the bike, but at a price. I used a similar setup this summer on the KAT on a 500 EXCF, and you ought to see what it did to plastic! Rubbed it raw in places leaving small gouges. 

If you plan to hardcore this bike in the bush and don't care about paint and body, then this solution will be one of the narrowest, but with a price.

I hear ya, that's  a given.  Kriega's site disclaimer makes it obvious they know it's inevitable. Lots of measures can be taken to minimize the damage. And though I don't know the cost of new rear plastics for the T7, I'm guessing it's not more than most bag racks if it got that bad. 

Light weight,  tight to the bike, ahead of the axle is value worth the cosmetic plastic price for me.

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

I hear ya, that's  a given.

Indeed. It's rather obvious. I always glue a transparent vinyl film underneath soft throwovers or harness-style bags for this reason.

Destinationworld.be - Journeys... not just travels | Discoveroverland.eu - Inspiring overland travel meetings

Eventually Rally raid racks may be used to attach Kriegas https://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/yamaha-t7-tenere/yamaha-t7-tenere-soft-luggage-racks

5 hours ago, duibhceK said:

Indeed. It's rather obvious. I always glue a transparent vinyl film underneath soft throwovers or harness-style bags for this reason.

I wonder how a harness-type would fit on the Adv Spec side panels...
https://www.adventurespec.com/shop/product/adventure-spec-yamaha-tenere-700-side-luggage-rack-435?category=2&search=yamaha+t700#attr=477

• 3 weeks later...

Here’s my solution when using the SW Motech sysbags. 

I’m going with a 15L for short trips/overnight and 10/15/10 for longer trips. You could also go 15/15/15 as the bags are all modular and stack neatly together.

went with my own mounting rack as wanted to keep width as narrow as possible. You could also strap these bags down instead of using the SLC quick release mechanism.

08BA849A-16CB-491A-9E4E-042706DAE261.jpeg

EAA945C3-FC3D-4740-961F-990ACB5E939B.jpeg

123D543A-B816-4E2E-8B81-964FAC827464.jpeg

8886F48C-5130-44C8-916F-7F2C0950C727.jpeg

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 12/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, Alan M said:

Here’s my solution when using the SW Motech sysbags. 

I’m going with a 15L for short trips/overnight and 10/15/10 for longer trips. You could also go 15/15/15 as the bags are all modular and stack neatly together.

went with my own mounting rack as wanted to keep width as narrow as possible. You could also strap these bags down instead of using the SLC quick release mechanism.

08BA849A-16CB-491A-9E4E-042706DAE261.jpeg

EAA945C3-FC3D-4740-961F-990ACB5E939B.jpeg

123D543A-B816-4E2E-8B81-964FAC827464.jpeg

8886F48C-5130-44C8-916F-7F2C0950C727.jpeg

What is going to happen if you want to remove your passenger seat?