Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

T7 Camel Toe Kick-Stand

Camel ADV

• Supporting Vendor

We've had a bunch of requests for a Camel Toe replacement kick stand for the T7. People have be asking for shorter versions for lowered bikes and longer versions for bikes with taller aftermarket suspension... and some people simply want a stronger than OEM standard length version.

We're just finishing our testing and will have them available soon! 

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5390.JPG

• Like 8

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Any chance of making this adjustable ? ... so the lower foot would simply be welded to a bolt that threads in or out depending on preference ? 

Edit: ... Also, ... is it possible to be able to pivot the bike on the foot ? ... like doing 180deg rotation in tight spaces, where the bike is balancing on the tip of the foot ... 

... I would assume that the foot/tip needs to be reinforced for this to be possible.

Edited by MGG
added pivot request ...
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please include a new beefy spring! the stock one is kinda week and lets the stand flop under hard landings. Nice job, can't wait to get a stronger standard size! Being able to pivot turn is huge! I sent your link/website info to my Africa Twin buds and I know one from Rising Sun MD bought one!

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 11/20/2020 at 9:30 AM, Firebolter said:

Please include a new beefy spring! the stock one is kinda week and lets the stand flop under hard landings. Nice job, can't wait to get a stronger standard size! Being able to pivot turn is huge! I sent your link/website info to my Africa Twin buds and I know one from Rising Sun MD bought one!

On 11/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, MGG said:

Any chance of making this adjustable ? ... so the lower foot would simply be welded to a bolt that threads in or out depending on preference ? 

Edit: ... Also, ... is it possible to be able to pivot the bike on the foot ? ... like doing 180deg rotation in tight spaces, where the bike is balancing on the tip of the foot ... 

... I would assume that the foot/tip needs to be reinforced for this to be possible.

We're testing it with a higher rate springs... that stock one is terrible. The one we have on our shop bike now was made with a 50% higher spring rate. We're still fine tuning though.

No issues at all with doing pivot turns on the side stand... it's plenty beefy. 

I would LOVE to have one side stand that would work for everyone: stock bikes, lowered ones, raised ones but it's a challenge. Making it adjustable and strong without being very heavy, complicated or looking terrible is a tough one. I've seen a few for other bikes that simply have a threaded rod welded at the bottom and the foot threads in. Functional, yes, but I just can't get past the look of them. Also, we can't powdercoat them as it plugs up the threads. I haven't given up on the idea just yet though.

62759246074__02ED016C-6436-4093-8944-E2B94C3B26A3.jpeg

• Like 5

• Moderators
On 11/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, POLISHADAM82 said:

possibly group buy?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

I need your input.

For those of you that have lowered your bikes: Please post up and let me know how much you lowered AND whether you lowered just the back or the front as well.

Same thing for the guys that have added longer than stock suspension. How much higher is it now?

We have all the sidestand parts here now and are trying to determine the best lengths to offer.

Once we have the lengths sorted out, we'll give away a new sidestand randomly to someone who helps us by answering the question above.

The sidestand details are powder coated, TIG welded, 1" DOM tubing, steel pivot knuckle, large Camel foot base plate and a new spring with a 95% higher spring rate than stock.

• Like 1

• Supporting Vendor
On 11/22/2020 at 6:32 PM, POLISHADAM82 said:

possibly group buy?

Group buys don't go over well with our dealers so we don't offer them.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I used the rally raid 20mm lowering links but left the front forks stock hight. Found the turning too twitchy especially in mud and sand. It currently rests on the heel of the stand (see pics). I'd say half an inch shorter would be ideal. Also notice on the stock stand the part the sticks out to put the stand down gets under my heel when standing. Is yours in a similar position? 

PXL_20201106_183209160.jpg

PXL_20201025_182053133.jpg

• Like 1

Currently, I've got the 20mm Rally Raid links and I raised the forks 15mm.  The stock side stand is fine on a flat surface, but I have to pay attention when I park.

I'm pretty sure any kind of foot or support under the stand would be a no go. Probably 1/2 to 3/4" shorter would be good. It would be nice to add a larger foot for soft ground, or really hot asphalt in the summer here in the sunny south.

• Like 2

On 12/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, Camel ADV said:

...For those of you that have lowered your bikes: Please post up and let me know how much you lowered AND whether you lowered just the back or the front as well....

I lowered mine by 20mm in the back since this is the "common" easy lowering length. I know that most people lower the forks by the same amount but I did not since it behaves nicely on direction changes, so I may keep it this way. 

I am looking forward to another quality piece from @Camel ADV

🙂 

• Like 1

Lowered mine using the Yamaha low seat (20 mm) and the Off the Road lowering links 50 mm. I raised the front forks by 18 mm more (total 25 mm including stock height - max height) so they were just at the edge of the fairing at full lock.   I cut 1.5" (38 mm) off the stock side stand and welded it back.  Bike is at the perfect angle now.  This is probably the max you will encounter in lowering this bike.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 11:28 PM, Camel ADV said:

I need your input.

For those of you that have lowered your bikes: Please post up and let me know how much you lowered AND whether you lowered just the back or the front as well.

Same thing for the guys that have added longer than stock suspension. How much higher is it now?

We have all the sidestand parts here now and are trying to determine the best lengths to offer.

Once we have the lengths sorted out, we'll give away a new sidestand randomly to someone who helps us by answering the question above.

The sidestand details are powder coated, TIG welded, 1" DOM tubing, steel pivot knuckle, large Camel foot base plate and a new spring with a 95% higher spring rate than stock.

lowered the back 20mm and the front 20mm

I'm SO glad you all are doing a shorter stand... no one makes them that I can find (except for one off custom jobs) and my bike sits too upright w/ the stock stand.... also this eliminates the need for me to buy a wider baseplate.... 2 birds, one stone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Vendor

Kind of all over the map with the lowering amounts.

If you just lower the rear, the sidestand change is half that amount. -20mm links, the sidestand only needs to be -10mm to match. If you do both @ -20mm then the sidestand needs to be that amount... well a little less and suspension SAG needs to be accounted for.

Just with the handful of replies here, we're anywhere from -10mm to -38mm. We can't have 6 different lengths of stands, it's just not feasible. Three would be ideal: Standard, Longer and Shorter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camel ADV said:

Kind of all over the map with the lowering amounts.

If you just lower the rear, the sidestand change is half that amount. -20mm links, the sidestand only needs to be -10mm to match. If you do both @ -20mm then the sidestand needs to be that amount... well a little less and suspension SAG needs to be accounted for.

Just with the handful of replies here, we're anywhere from -10mm to -38mm. We can't have 6 different lengths of stands, it's just not feasible. Three would be ideal: Standard, Longer and Shorter.

I don’t think you need that many. Can’t you make a -25mm one that will handle all the lowered ones by being in the middle, and a plus 15mm to handle the higher ones?

Other than that can you make something that is like a camel foot? Maybe a clamp on camel foot. Make it bolt on so folks can just order that, they could be threaded and just screw on?

Mike

• Supporting Vendor
13 minutes ago, MikeCMP said:

I don’t think you need that many. Can’t you make a -25mm one that will handle all the lowered ones by being in the middle, and a plus 15mm to handle the higher ones?

Other than that can you make something that is like a camel foot? Maybe a clamp on camel foot. Make it bolt on so folks can just order that, they could be threaded and just screw on?

Mike

My comment of 6 was hyperbole 😉 Like I said, 3 would be ideal. The longer  and standard are easy enough but coming to a decision on how long to make the shortened version is the question.

A single lower model with a couple foot thicknesses could work. The ability to bolt on one or two 5mm thick foot pads would cover a pretty wide spectrum of heights. 

Alternatively, I'd go with a 15 or 20mm shorter stand as a standard option. If someone lowers their bike even more, you could offer a custom length for another $50. Fastway offers custom shortening for a $50 premium. 

Edited by BLZ2DWL
  • Like 1

The T7 is pretty tall to start with. Based on that and the responses here, I would think that you would sell 5 to 10 shortened stands for every tall or standard one. Maybe two shortened options like -20mm and -40mm would cover most applications.