Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

New T7 to replace my S10

MikeCMP

Hello,

I just got my T7 on Saturday, already got 400 miles on it, rode a loop out to the Allegheny National Forest and got it a little muddy.

looking to add on some stuff - like crash bars, but lots of places seem to be out of stock. Was thinking of the altrider skid plate and some types of crash bars, maybe the Heed except i can't tell if they will fit together. 

Will be adding some Bunmot racks so i can use my existing bags. 

Bike was good. Love the power. Torque is fantastic, the standing position for me seems odd but i have a feeling it is b/c the tank is slippery and my knees can grab. Feels like when i grab some throttle i get pulled back, on the S10 the pegs and bars were farther apart.

Feels really good off road, much better than my S10. My suspension feels harsh, I have a feeling I need to dial in the rebound a bit. In theory I am 215 lbs + riding gear so i prolly need higher rate springs but i had only one case where I bottomed out the front forks. 

On the road the bike is a lot of fun, can't wait to get out of the break in so I can wind it out. 

Mike

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_130b.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on the new T7.  I also went from the S10 to the smaller Tenere (also the faster red).  Really enjoy the reduction in weight and the motor's smooth manner but am really looking forward to getting a Seat Concepts seat on the bike.

• Like 1

Congrats and welcome. I am lucky enough to still have both, and still like them.

For your weight (I'm the same), look at a heavier rear spring to start. Go with 85 or a 90 N/mm. Set your sag correctly (more info on this site about how much sag), and start there. My forks are getting an upgrade next. Not sure where I'm going with that just yet, but over the winter, its getting something.

Before you purchase a seat, make sure you try the rally (tall) seat first. Riding (seating) position really affects your arse. The higher seat worked wonders over the stocker, and it is not really any better quality.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I think I have Yamaha disease...

I can flat foot the bike with the stock seat. I am thinking of getting in on the group buy on the seat concepts ones, I might go for the higher one just to be easier on my knees sitting on the bike. 

No real way to try the rally seat..... soo I got a couple pieces of 2x4, and put them on the seat and sat on them 🙂 I can still put the balls of my feet down on the ground on both sides.  Thats about a 1.5" lift. so I think the tall seat should work. 

4 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I can flat foot the bike with the stock seat. I am thinking of getting in on the group buy on the seat concepts ones, I might go for the higher one just to be easier on my knees sitting on the bike. 

No real way to try the rally seat..... soo I got a couple pieces of 2x4, and put them on the seat and sat on them 🙂 I can still put the balls of my feet down on the ground on both sides.  Thats about a 1.5" lift. so I think the tall seat should work. 

Looks like you're on the right track. Bum-hand-foot triangle seems to make a HUGE difference in comfort (as opposed to gel/foam/pad width). On one of my other bikes, I have had six different seats on it including 2 custom ones, and when I finally got the seating position correct, all back/knee/shoulder discomfort went away. As for my T7, I've gone with the Yamaha bar risers and the rally seat, and I have to say I've done some 800km (8-11 hr) days, and all is well.

Here's a quick link to a related comparison. 

seatcomparisonfeatured.png

Are you looking for a new seat for your motorcycle? We have some tips on chosing the next seat for a better ride. Click here to read about it today.

Cheers,

I think I have Yamaha disease...

Thanks! I got through the break in period on the bikie, it's pretty fun. I temp hooked up my heated gear, when i get the eastern beaver harness I'll wire everything up for real so it switches with the ignition. Temps have been around 45, the bike is a little chillier to ride than my S10, but I had the large windshield and wind deflectors on that bike, plus the lower body wind protection was much greater. 

This weekend will be a little warmer so assuming the snow is all gone I am installing some suspension upgrades and maybe taking it out to test those upgrades out

Mike

Welcome from another former S10 rider! I loved that bike but as I got older, the weight got to me, compounded by my nice comfy custom seat which added 3/4" to the seat height!

I will miss some things about the S10 but the fun factor of the T7 will more than make up for it. I was looking for more of a back roads and travel bike with some easy gravel roads and two track capacity. And the ability to pick it up by myself! 😁