Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Rally Raid Headlight Protector

AZJW

• Moderators

Having a Rally Raid Headlight Protector installed on my T7 for the past 2,000 miles, I found a little issue tonight.  While adjusting my headlight, I found the headlight protector has been rubbing against the OEM lens , creating a slight blemish in the plastic. To prevent this from causing any more damage and possibly/ eventually rubbing a hole in the lens, I tried reinstalling the protector with tension on the cover to help bow it outward from the OEM lens, but was unsuccessful.  To prevent any further damage,  I've temporarily put a adhesive felt pad between the plastic lens and at some point will try to enlarge the mounting holes to allow the cover to bow out a bit more to clear the OEM lens. I'll reach out to Rally Raid to see if this is an isolated problem or if not, has a design change taken place. Just a heads up to anyone who may be using this protector,  it might be doing harm to your stock headlight lens.

20201210_181655.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

No problem with mine, looks to have about 6mm clearance at the bottom and more at the top. If you trimmed the top mount spacers a few mm it would angle the bottom away from the headlight, or add a washer or two to the bottom. The screws are plenty long enough to accomodate a few washers. Cheers.

Making James May look quick!

Did you use the the spacers AND the original washers when installing it?

Anyway thanks for the heads up. 

• Moderators

Must've been a one off issue on fitment on my bike as RallyRaid and PowerBronze hadn't heard of the this.  At any rate, it was easily fixed by adding two additional washers with the bottom spacers and pulling out at the bottom of the headlight protector, creating a gap, while tightening the screws. All good now.

20201227_080441.jpg

20201227_080718.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS