Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

chain and sprocket replacement

Mwalk

Question

Has anyone replaced their chain and sprockets yet?  How many miles did you get out of them? Thanks

Edited by Mwalk
wrong topic location

I have close to 20k kms on the odo, chain is gone, sprockets seem okay, though will change them too. On my last trip I made the mistake of using WD-40 to clean the chain, that messed up the o-rings :(

When it is time I will be going the 520 route. No where near ready at only 3470 miles. I did change out the stock 15T to a 16T about a month ago and have yet to ride it further than up the road a mile and back. Seemed about the same.

10 hours ago, Marc said:

I have a 520 set I’ll be installing this weekend. I bought it from Sprocket Center. 

Perfect, thanks for the heads up. I’ll be ordering a set along with a small length of extra chain plus a couple clip style master links so I can make field repair.

On 12/11/2020 at 5:24 AM, ScorpionT16 said:

I have close to 20k kms on the odo, chain is gone, sprockets seem okay, though will change them too. On my last trip I made the mistake of using WD-40 to clean the chain, that messed up the o-rings 😞

I'm curious, why do you think WD-40 fouled your seals?  I had seen tests showing WD-40 is actually safe on chain seals.  I was getting 25k miles out of my Vstrom 650 chains, cleaning with WD-40 every oil change.  I used a paraffin based lube every 500-800 miles.  I'm doing the same with the T7 now.

• Like 4

Wd 40 knackers rubber especially small rubber seal in wiring looms connectors. It will seriously damage them.

6 hours ago, Matth said:

Wd 40 knackers rubber especially small rubber seal in wiring looms connectors. It will seriously damage them.

Love to see some proof to back up that Fake News.. I've used wd40 for ever.. no problems here. must be user error.

trump fake news GIF

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ouch, im guessing youve had a bad day, sadly i didn’t document the breakdown of rubber seals for you but  Trump couldn’t handle the truth either unless im wrong of course!

Edited by Matth
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

7,500 mls and the chain is almost toast.rear sprocket ok , front i changed to 16t about a 1000mls ago. i only use ep 90 oil for general day to day use. on long runs ill give it some chain lube.  im thinking of going down the 520 route at change time. are sprockets easy to source???

For some reason it attacks small rubber components especially wiring plug connector seals and O rings They break the rubber down and becomes a ring of tar if you solely use the stuff as the chap proves by spraying a balloon with WD40. Thank you VTAM

i use IPONE chain cleaner then clean with a rag never a wire brush on O ring units as the bristle can push grit under the rings which increase wear. Then spray HHS2000 machine spray grease which is a VERY sticky clear grease that doesn’t fling off 

hope that helps!

Edited by Matth
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, bth2 said:

7,500 mls and the chain is almost toast.rear sprocket ok , front i changed to 16t about a 1000mls ago. i only use ep 90 oil for general day to day use. on long runs ill give it some chain lube.  im thinking of going down the 520 route at change time. are sprockets easy to source???

The front is identical to a MT 07 and rear sprocket is the same bolt pattern as the MT 07 so yes, easy to find.

On 12/19/2020 at 3:20 PM, Marc said:

The front is identical to a MT 07 and rear sprocket is the same bolt pattern as the MT 07 so yes, easy to find.

forgive my ignorance. i take it by that the mt is a 520 chain?

4 hours ago, Hogan said:

You really should have watched the whole video, because if you had watched just 10 seconds more you would have seen the Motul stuff also popped the balloon. And if you actually watched the whole video you would have found out that none of the products used damaged the chain o-rings, and that many of them actually penetrated the o-ring and thus compromised the grease inside.

The reason the balloon popped is because of the type of rubber it's made from. Most likely natural or a synthetic natural, both of which are degraded by oil, and WD40 is mostly just mineral oil.

O-rings are universally not made of natural rubbers because of this reason. The grease itself would also eat the seal.

Hiya

i did watch it through and have done previously.

im amazed how many products for sale worldwide that state they do a specific job and there are other non specific products that do the job much better.

one product ive had the misfortune of using is IPONE white chain grease.

utter crap last minutes and doesn’t do anything.

Use WURTH Machine spray grease half the price and ten times the product.

one of the manufacturers ( either yam BMW or Mercury marine) specifically says do not use WD

Edited by Matth
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2020 at 3:29 PM, roy826 said:

When it is time I will be going the 520 route. No where near ready at only 3470 miles. I did change out the stock 15T to a 16T about a month ago and have yet to ride it further than up the road a mile and back. Seemed about the same.

I'm thinking about installing the 16T on mine, care to give a review?

Cheers

14 hours ago, Tomás Longo said:

I'm thinking about installing the 16T on mine, care to give a review?

Cheers

It works pretty good. 1st gear still like a low range gear but you do not have to start off in 2nd gear all the time as I was doing with the 15T stock. Upper gears definitely better with less rpms. I got the rubber dampened 16T off Amazon for a few bucks can't recall the exact number. Fairly easy to swap out Camel ADV has a youtube video on their website covering this. 

Unfortunately I discovered a counter shaft seal oil leak when doing mine. I plan to address that at a later date as it is not that bad and still under factory warranty. May repair it myself since the parts are only $30 US and $80 is I spring for the fancy motion pro seal removal tool.

2 hours ago, roy826 said:

It works pretty good. 1st gear still like a low range gear but you do not have to start off in 2nd gear all the time as I was doing with the 15T stock. Upper gears definitely better with less rpms. I got the rubber dampened 16T off Amazon for a few bucks can't recall the exact number. Fairly easy to swap out Camel ADV has a youtube video on their website covering this. 

Unfortunately I discovered a counter shaft seal oil leak when doing mine. I plan to address that at a later date as it is not that bad and still under factory warranty. May repair it myself since the parts are only $30 US and $80 is I spring for the fancy motion pro seal removal tool.

Cool, I'll just send my bike to the dealership to get that done, if there's a problem, they'll address it 🙂

thanks for the review mate

I'm ordering front and rear plus a chain to have on hand because you just don't know what the dealers will have for parts these days.  Cheers

So I've been debating throwing a 16T front sprocket on for a while.... and now I found a couple of broken chain o-rings, perfect excuse to change things up!

I'm thinking of trying out a 520 set up, any chain recommendations???

i have  a 520 set up with 16t front. no issues. i changed mine when i had to keep adjusting the old one....you just know when its time !

i used DID 520 ZVM-X.  You will find the set up on the jt sprockets catalogue under yamaha R1 520 conversion.

37 minutes ago, powder said:

How do you guys know when the chain and/or sprockets are toast and ready for change?

If the chain has tight spots, kinked links, is starting to rust, has broken/missing o’rings, and/or requires multiple tension adjustments, it is probably time for a new chain and sprocket set.  I just replaced my set at 15,400 miles and the front sprocket teeth were noticeably hooked and the chain was making a popping noise as it rotated around the sprocket.  The rear sprocket looked fine, but was replaced also.

Edited by whisperquiet

When you remove the old sprockets, put them against the new sprocket and you'll really notice the difference.  This is a picture I stole from albertadualsport.ca Note the difference.

wornsprockets.jpg

• Like 2