Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

LED Front Turn Signals

cstatman

Caveat - YES, by buying el Cheapo Cycle Gear 2 wire LED instead of 3 wire - I lost front running light capability  (i dont care)  a GOOD mechanic would buy 3 wire LEDs and maintain the front running lights

Photo of bike with stock giant signalsIMG_0276.jpeg

Remove side panel  (3 bolts, 2 plastic bolts by radiator guard)

Remove stock turn signal, leaving you with gaping hole - save stock signal backing plateIMG_0281.jpeg

Insert Yamaha Blanking Plate (i got these from eBay - I have 3 sets extra, and will mail them free, in an envelope only -  to the first 3 guys who PM me US address, then follow up with something cool)
IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

flip panel, line up stock backing plate
IMG_0285.jpeg

insert 10mm LED signal stem and tighten

have dog check your work as quality control

IMG_0286.jpeg

Edited by cstatman
cleanup

I cut the stock leads off the stock signals,  I'll never use them, and would rather have the snap-lock ease of removing sidepanels with stock connectors

I then measure twice, line up the stock harness with aftermarket, and do all the soldering, heat shrinking, and cleanup

the BLUE wire is for running lights,   i kept it in place, in case I buy spendy signals next time I knock the bike over, and need to replace signals

IMG_0289.thumb.jpeg.f149a76594abe6681874f6b86ca230aa.jpeg

I cannot emphasize enough the value of some heat shrink tubing,  it cleans up the process, insulates your work from water and grime, and hides your mediocre soldering job

IMG_0290.thumb.jpeg.964fd7765e9f1cfb92e7103799eeac0e.jpeg

Reinstall the panels, plug everything in,  and

and - voila - your bike looks a bit cleaner, and you habe less to knock off when you fall over in the DURT

IMG_0292.thumb.jpeg.7dd475e2e005c69162043d70326a6522.jpeg

IMG_0291.jpeg