Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Did you ride today?

Christoph

16077120595968284483977654980242.thumb.jpg.ebe62d3103239e92ea6c47a8822ba6b7.jpgDid you ride today? Doesn't matter what you rode or how far but did you ride?

The reason I'm asking is not to influence or shame, but to see what drives you, us all.

I've ridden everyday since the pandemic started except for one day I had to go out of state. 

I'm mostly doing it for mental health reasons since I want to have something to look forward to.

I want to be ready for better days to come and I want to keep my riding skills sharp because I turn 60 soon and I'm not that kid anymore. 

I rode my DR650 today for maybe 7 miles. It's raining and turning to snow soon here in Iowa, we are in a Winter Weather Advisory. Quite windy and since I live on gravel roads it was messy. I chose the DR650 because my new Tenere has not been broken in yet and I need to dial in the suspension. I'll admit its also new and pretty and it got 100 miles in yesterday on a beautiful 60 degree day. 

I'm actually enjoying the colder weather but I have my limits and deep snow or ice will keep me home, or my wife will hide my keys.

I rode today and it made me feel that whatever the day brings I did something that brought a smile to my face and made my day more complete. 

There you go. Feel free to share even if you ride somewhere like Southern California and it was sunny and 80 degrees you still got out there. 

Thanks  

Christoph 

• Like 7

Yesterday - Rode to the hardware store to get more roofing nails for the workshop I've been building. Was real nice out here in NC...wish I had time for a longer ride! Maybe today...

• Like 1

Flurries....they said Flurries!

Four or so inches of flurries,  only a weatherman can be this wrong and still get paid.

After I clear the lanes, I will attempt a ride.

Very pretty right now. 

We'll see how it goes 😏 

20201212_074538.jpg

I wish I was riding my bike in Southern California 😎.

Unfortunately it’s rather wet and cold in Scotland at the moment, pretty much as normal 😁.

Got out on the enduro bike today, very wet, very muddy, very slippery but lots of fun. Beats moping around the house and keeps the fitness levels up.

4378AD29-159C-41A3-9D8F-FEA142A3A17D.jpeg

Edited by Alan M
  • Like 3

I took the quadrunner and plowed around the border of our farm before I rode. It was only about a mile but I got my ride in. Damn near got stuck in the driveway where the snow was deeper than I thought. 

I need a GoPro but sure as fire if I got one I'd crash.  Isn't that the rule?

Film yourself and bad stuff happens. 

• Like 1

Rode in North TX today...on dirt...sunny and lo-mid 50s. It was great. Not on the Tenere, on the single track device.

Husky 300i.jpg

• Like 2

I'm guessing my season has come to an end for a few days. The snow we got yesterday melted enough to turn it to crunchy ice today and even standing is a chore. I've only missed riding a bike a day or two 2020 and I didn't die of the Coronavirus so, Win Win.

I did take out the Yamaha Kodiak 700 for a ride and I will call that a win.

Well...Shet, that's it and I'm tired and I have chores. 

Do something fun every day,  nobody is going to give a Shet in a hundred years anyway. 

Ciao 

spacer.png

Took a ride towards Talladega Nat'l Forest and Cheaha SP with my wife on her '83 BMW R80ST today. Hit as many 1 1/2 lane farm roads as possible playing with suspension settings after installing a 95NM spring on the rear.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2020 at 4:00 AM, norton73 said:

spacer.png

Took a ride towards Talladega Nat'l Forest and Cheaha SP with my wife on her '83 BMW R80ST today. Hit as many 1 1/2 lane farm roads as possible playing with suspension settings after installing a 95NM spring on the rear.

How are you finding that 95nm rear spring? At 115 kg my T7 is fine with standard spring all settings as per the handbook but i've not been out with luggage yet 

Edited by Mapbook
Can't count

Riding a snow shovel this morning. I need to take the advice i got from an old timer, he said to load the snow blower in the truck and drive south until someone asks what it is, then move there.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Mapbook said:

How are you finding that 95nm rear spring? At 215 kg my T7 is fine with standard spring all settings as per the handbook but i've not been out with luggage yet 

215kg?   that's 474lbs!

I'm about 225 now with covid weight.  With the standard spring and settings, I was using up half the travel on the rear. By the time I added preload, the ride was rough. Then, when i was in a paved tight corner, as I accelerated out, the bike would overcome the preload and suddenly squat.

With the 95nm spring, I have the preload on 1, and on the bumpy roads and tight twisties, I liked it.  Might need to add a click or two with luggage.

• Like 2

Thanks for that just spoke to Rally raid they will fit the 95nm spring for £90.00

Joshua Tree ADV Casualty Ride Dec. 13th 2020

Went on an ADV ride through Joshua Tree park in California. Originally with 4-5 bikes. Turned out close to 40 bikes showed up.

We broke up into two groups inside the park. Riders that wanted to stay on pavement and riders that wanted to ride off road. 20 something started the off road portion which was an intermediate ride with some sand portions and ended up rocky with some rock drop offs.

Casualty #1

A KTM got a cracked side engine case from his engine guards bashing it from being dropped on the side. Luckily the dripping oil was noticed at a rest stop for others to catch up. JB weld and some Gorilla tape fixed it so he could turn back and make it home. A handful of the riders turned back with him. 18 of us marched on.

8drM5ial.jpg

Casualty #2

A BMW had drivetrain issues. Abandoned bike (hidden) and hitched a ride out on a passing truck. He is a local and is getting his bike out today. BMW shaft drive busted.

sWZB7Ttl.jpg

Casualty #3 & #4

A BMW classic style 2018 R nineT going through the first rock fall and then the rock garden cracked and put a hole in the oil pan. Bike hidden and abandoned. Got a ride out in a Jeep. He'll figure a way to get the bike out today.

x0flDrYl.jpg

A Super Tenere was following another T7 goofing off on the rocks. The S10 doesn't have the ground clearance that the T7 has and hit hard coming down a big rock. Had a good bash plate, but it has a mount mounted to the oil pan. This mount broke the oil pan into three pieces. We help pushed/picked up the S10, coasted downhill, and was towed through the sand and rocks by another talented BMW G850 for about 5 miles off road and about 10 miles on the pavement. It was not easy, Both bikes went down several times in the sand. The G850 got it towed into town to be picked up by his buddy's truck.

WtIygmPl.jpg

Bash plate mount with rubber bushing and bolt busted a hole in the Super Tenere's oil pan.

E4hyFQFl.jpg

hqkvKEal.jpg

The 11 ADV riders that stuck around to get the S10 to civilization.

IwJh8l5l.jpg

MXyfmAOl.jpg

The four T7s on the ride made it out pretty much unscathed. I sustained a broken mirror dropping the bike along the canyon wall during the first rock waterfall drop off.

I had no footing and tipped the bike against the canyon wall. The ACD bash plate and the AS engine guards did their jobs. I tipped over/dropped the bike twice in the first rock fall. Going too slow as we were all bunched up in the canyon going feet by feet. I had no forward momentum and had no footing and couldn't hold the bike upright on the big rocks.

T5w43j4l.jpg

No one got hurt is what matters, all riders made it home. Some more sore than others. 🙂

Edited by REDHORSECA
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

Joshua Tree ADV Casualty Ride Dec. 13th 2020

Went on an ADV ride through Joshua Tree park in California. Originally with 4-5 bikes. Turned out close to 40 bikes showed up.

We broke up into two groups inside the park. Riders that wanted to stay on pavement and riders that wanted to ride off road. 20 something started the off road portion which was an intermediate ride with some sand portions and ended up rocky with some rock drop offs.

Casualty #1

A KTM got a cracked side engine case from his engine guards bashing it from being dropped on the side. Luckily the dripping oil was noticed at a rest stop for others to catch up. JB weld and some Gorilla tape fixed it so he could turn back and make it home. A handful of the riders turned back with him. 18 of us marched on.

8drM5ial.jpg

Casualty #2

A BMW had drivetrain issues. Abandoned bike (hidden) and hitched a ride out on a passing truck. He is a local and is getting his bike out today. BMW shaft drive busted.

sWZB7Ttl.jpg

Casualty #3 & #4

A BMW classic style 2018 R90 going through the first rock fall and then the rock garden cracked and put a hole in the oil pan. Bike hidden and abandoned. Got a ride out in a Jeep. He'll figure a way to get the bike out today.

x0flDrYl.jpg

A Super Tenere was following another T7 goofing off on the rocks. The S10 doesn't have the ground clearance that the T7 has and hit hard coming down a big rock. Had a good bash plate, but it has a mount mounted to the oil pan. This mount broke the oil pan into three pieces. We help pushed/picked up the S10, coasted downhill, and was towed through the sand and rocks by another talented BMW G850 for about 5 miles off road and about 10 miles on the pavement. It was not easy, Both bikes went down several times in the sand. The G850 got it towed into town to be picked up by his buddy's truck.

WtIygmPl.jpg

Bash plate mount with rubber bushing and bolt busted a hole in the Super Tenere's oil pan.

E4hyFQFl.jpg

hqkvKEal.jpg

The 11 ADV riders that stuck around to get the S10 to civilization.

IwJh8l5l.jpg

MXyfmAOl.jpg

The four T7s on the ride made it out pretty much unscathed. I sustained a broken mirror dropping the bike along the canyon wall during the first rock waterfall drop off.

I had no footing and tipped the bike against the canyon wall. The ACD bash plate and the AS engine guards did their jobs. I tipped over/dropped the bike twice in the first rock fall. Going too slow as we were all bunched up in the canyon going feet by feet. I had no forward momentum and had no footing and couldn't hold the bike upright on the big rocks.

T5w43j4l.jpg

No one got hurt is what matters, all riders made it home. Some more sore than others. 🙂

Nice write up and great pictures. 

Living vicariously through your ride.

Day two of no ride except on the quadrunner. Pure ice over snow and that's a no go for two wheels. 

Maybe enough melt by midweek. 

16079713566032797156231428390786.jpg

Here is a video of my ADV Pals on this past Sunday's ride. Self rescue of one of the three broken ADV bikes. My buddy Jay towing the Gilbert's Super Tenere (hole in oil pan). Two other BMWs abandoned overnight (another hole in oil pan and the other with a busted drive shaft).

• Thanks 1

I rode my Speed Triple 1050 today. Only cause I feel sorry for her as she hasn't been receiving any love since I bought my T700. Ive only put 20kms on the Speed Triple and 4500km on the T700 over the least few months.

IMG_20151211_183945.jpg

• Like 4

Pain Heals, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts forever 

6 hours ago, REDHORSECA said:

Here is a video of my ADV Pals on this past Sunday's ride. Self rescue of one of the three broken ADV bikes. My buddy Jay towing the Gilbert's Super Tenere (hole in oil pan). Two other BMWs abandoned overnight (another hole in oil pan and the other with a busted drive shaft).

Wow! That was awesome.  What an effort to get that big horse back.

Exhausted me just watching it.

Thanks 😊 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christoph said:

Wow! That was awesome.  What an effort to get that big horse back.

Exhausted me just watching it.

Thanks 😊 

They rode the BMW nineT out yesterday, repaired it enough to ride it to pavement and then loaded into the van. KTM dirt bike and van owner is the same BMW rider that towed the Super Tenere out.

O8qLCIrl.jpg

uF1ZB3Gl.jpg\\

rEx8G9ol.jpg

8L21yc0l.jpg

napUclUl.jpg

• Like 3

Hadn't ridden my T7 in about two months as I've been busy.  It is getting cold where I live and the weather is about to turn nasty, so I was able to get out the other night, even if only for a few miles.  Left home around 4pm and soon found myself chasing down a fiery sunset through the woods.

G0013087_4000x3000.jpg

Edited by Seventh Son
  • Like 6

That would make a cool poster. You should at least put that up for people to see. Awesome!

• Thanks 1