Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

1st Service

Dakota

Question

Hey all, new Tenere 700 owner here.

I'm looking to do my first service myself as it seems to be mostly an Oil Change + checking all bolts and cables and such.

I had a couple questions about the below, as i'm not sure how to do them, and I wonder if i'm even able to do them on my own.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Also, here is a direct link to the owners manual, in case that helps anyone. 

image.png.9c3e93a21f310166282936569feaa2a2.png

image.png.35a7f904e7e9c785bc8a8df63e940a11.png

7 answers to this question

I would imagine You may lose / invalid the warranty if not dealer done, they do engine diagnostics on the first one n stuff

Edited by Matth

Just now, Matth said:

I would imagine You may lose / invalid the warranty if not dealer done, they do engine diagnostics on the first one n stuff

Not sure about Europe but in North America AFAIK owner can do their own services providing proofs (receipt, instructions) showing proper cares are followed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matth said:

Yeah, to be honest, i've been having a really hard time finding out if you have to have the first service done at the dealer or not. I left a 2 star review from the dealer I bought the bike from so i'm not to keen to go back to them for service. If it is required that a dealer does it (I think it may not be from reading some posts's here), then i'll find another to take it to.

With that being said, if anyone here is in the LA area and knows of a good Yamaha mechanic, i'm all ears. 

I took my bike into the dealer for the first service after having changed the oil and filter myself. The total cost was ~$100 US.

The dealer specifically mentioned having adjusted the throttle synch, and there was evidence of other service being performed when I looked the bike over. I've owned 4 new bikes before this one, and this is the first bike I've ever taken into a dealer for any service. I do my own service.

It's unlikely that I'll bring my T7 back into a dealer for any additional service. As I paid the bill, I really had no idea if the mechanic was any good or even very thorough. I like maintaining my own machines and I imagine that I pay more careful attention to the process than someone who has a line of bikes to complete on a schedule. I plan on learning how to do a throttle synch, as it sounds like like a simple process.

8 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

I took my bike into the dealer for the first service after having changed the oil and filter myself. The total cost was ~$100 US.

The dealer specifically mentioned having adjusted the throttle synch, and there was evidence of other service being performed when I looked the bike over. I've owned 4 new bikes before this one, and this is the first bike I've ever taken into a dealer for any service. I do my own service.

It's unlikely that I'll bring my T7 back into a dealer for any additional service. As I paid the bill, I really had no idea if the mechanic was any good or even very thorough. I like maintaining my own machines and I imagine that I pay more careful attention to the process than someone who has a line of bikes to complete on a schedule. I plan on learning how to do a throttle synch, as it sounds like like a simple process.

That sounds like a good compromise, i'll do the oil and have them do the rest. Thanks for the input - I appreciate it.

I have the same concern as you, not lack of knowledge, but lack of caring about the bike as I would. 

Just be sure to keep the receipts (or pictures of the receipts) for the filter and oil and any other consumables you use during the warranty period so that you can document that you bought them. Doing so helps to build the case that you did the service. For my two most recent new bikes, I took pictures of the ODO, the filter (with part number) and the oil on the same date I performed the service.

I've never been in the situation where I needed to deal with a warranty claim with a motorcycle manufacturer, but I've heard that better documentation of owner service yields a better outcome. 

9 minutes ago, Desert Mariner said:

Just be sure to keep the receipts (or pictures of the receipts) for the filter and oil and any other consumables you use during the warranty period so that you can document that you bought them. Doing so helps to build the case that you did the service. For my two most recent new bikes, I took pictures of the ODO, the filter (with part number) and the oil on the same date I performed the service.

I've never been in the situation where I needed to deal with a warranty claim with a motorcycle manufacturer, but I've heard that better documentation of owner service yields a better outcome. 

Smart, thanks!