Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Leaky fuel cap?

Hammerhead

Question

Anyone else experienced a leaking petrol lid when your bike takes a trail nap?  

More so with a full(ish) tank, it has ranged from slightly oozing to downright piddling. Efforts to stop it revealed the severity definitely seems to be "position sensitive". 

Never liked the way the thing seems loose even when properly fitted, but depending  on where it's at when layed over it can result in some rather drastic leakage. 

Anyone familiar dealt with Yam on this yet? Is it a warranty issue they're solving? 

Last thing I want is the new tank bag getting polluted with petrol next time we get an little tipsy.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

Once i dropped it to the right and some fuel leaked. Tank was full.

Edited by yobinad
  • Like 1

I think in the Camel ADV aux tank video, Corey mentioned the leaky cap is actually a defect?

Because if it leaks, it mean it isn't sealed therefore no vacuum.

Does the cap have a breather in some way otherwise would cause a vacuum?

tbh ive no idea on this

24 minutes ago, Matth said:

Does the cap have a breather in some way otherwise would cause a vacuum?

tbh ive no idea on this

The tank itself actually have a breather port, not the cap.

image.png.a7fa0704f457ccd3f6f9c4ea99ad401e.png

Edited by TimmyTheHog
  • Like 2

I've heard they may be a warranty recall on the tank caps but I haven't gotten anything from Yamaha myself.

Mine leaked once on a full tank tip over, soaked my tank bag.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 4:50 PM, close range said:

I've heard they may be a warranty recall on the tank caps but I haven't gotten anything from Yamaha myself.

Mine leaked once on a full tank tip over, soaked my tank bag.

Precisely what I'm trying to avoid. 

My dealer tech was unwilling to say one way or the other without speaking to  Yamaha first. Though he did witness the full tank leaking as explained during his test. Fair enough.

When I hear back from them I should be able to provide more info  here on whether this is in fact a warranty issue. Can't understand how it wouldn't be. Leaky petrol caps just won't do. 

It will be an emission problem and they will be forced to warranty it, probably a recall. 

• Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 12:34 PM, TimmyTheHog said:

I think in the Camel ADV aux tank video, Corey mentioned the leaky cap is actually a defect?

Because if it leaks, it mean it isn't sealed therefore no vacuum.

This is the other reason it needs sorted, that camel tank is on the long haul wish list

• Like 2

I too experienced the leaky cap on a trail...

@Camel ADVshould just make a replacement cap for us all to buy 🙂

Edited by mr. projekt

• Supporting Vendor
4 hours ago, mr. projekt said:

I too experienced the leaky cap on a trail...

@Camel ADVshould just make a replacement cap for us all to buy 🙂

If I could come up with a low profile cap, I'd be all over it. Yamaha didn't leave us many options with it unfortunately.

• Like 4

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

Update;

So Yamaha is willing to get me a new fuel cap under warranty, but they're not sure it's going to solve the issue??... Plus it will come keyed differently & solving that would be at my expense.  

Fingers crossed a fresh cap is the quick solution, but I'm not holding my breath.  Nor too stoked on paying for having it keyed alike if it is the answer.

New cap enroute, hope it's the fix.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

Update;

So Yamaha is willing to get me a new fuel cap under warranty, but they're not sure it's going to solve the issue??... Plus it will come keyed differently & solving that would be at my expense.  

Fingers crossed a fresh cap is the quick solution, but I'm not holding my breath.  Nor too stoked on paying for having it keyed alike if it is the answer.

New cap enroute, hope it's the fix.

that sucks... nothing like replacing a badly designed part with another, brand new, badly designed part

8 minutes ago, mr. projekt said:

that sucks... nothing like replacing a badly designed part with another, brand new, badly designed part

Right?! Especially considering they've no idea if it will even solve the problem. Oh well, start there & see. If the replacement is also a fail, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it then. 

This can't be the first they've heard of it & judging by the replies here, far from the last.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hammerhead said:

Right?! Especially considering they've no idea if it will even solve the problem. Oh well, start there & see. If the replacement is also a fail, it'll be interesting to see how they handle it then. 

This can't be the first they've heard of it & judging by the replies here, far from the last.

Yep, I tried everything to get it tighter / not leak, rotating it, pressing it tighter, etc...

I'm a sh!t rider so I spend majority of my trail riding time in the horizontal position and I'm convinced I'm spilling more gas than burning it. 😄

Edited by mr. projekt
  • Haha 1

All unacceptable, for numerous reasons. Yamaha should be all over it. I'm looking at ways to increase the thickness of the stock seal to load up the spring more & figure I've already got a fair plan.  But waiting for that replacement to arrive before i go tinkering.

• Like 1

Update #2;

So to get the warranty replacement, they wanted my old cap in trade. Problem was, the new one wasn’t really any improvement. Not surprised.

Being it also leaked & was keyed differently, I graciously passed. 
  Granted, I’m testing with a full tank & leakage varies from minor drool to puking petrol depending on cap position. Either is unacceptable in my books & it’s now onto home remedies.

Update # 3 is more apt to appear in the ‘tech tips’ section, should my idea prove effective. 

Given it’s an off road machine & likely to flop over fairly often it’s a little surprising Yam released them with this glitch. Then again, given the prevailing era of modern chince , perhaps I shouldn’t be...

I'm very curious to know how common this is. Just had my first tip over with close to a full tank and it was streaming out, all over the trail.

I've always thought the cap was cheaply made with how much it wiggled. Guess that confirms it.

I have a new 2022 Tenere 700 and have the same issue. With the fuel tank full, I dropped the bike to the right just at a stop intersection. The fuel started pouring out from the fuel cap. Also, the garage where I store the bike is full of gas fumes. This is a hazard. Yamaha must redesign the fuel cap and issue a recall.

It is not our responsability to redesign the fuel cap in order to fix Yamaha faulty fuel cap design. We already paid for their design. It is their responsability to issue a new fuel cap as part of the recall. I need to call the federal agency in charge of this type of hazards from a faulty vehicle.

Edited by T7_owner

• Moderators

@T7_owner Welcome to the forum. My guess is that since the cap only leaks when the bike is lying on its side, you'll probably will get a less than satisfactory answer from a non rider bureaucrat,  but let us know what you find out.

• Like 1

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

The major problem/hazard with it is that if you fall riding the motorcycle on a paved road, the sparks from the friction between the bike and the road could ignite the fuel pouring out of the fuel cap. That would destroy the bike and worse, get you on fire while maybe unconscious, and kill you.

I just filed a complaint with the US NHTSA.

It's a major hazard. If any of you had the same issue, please file a complaint in their website. We need to get this thing recalled. We may end up saving a life by doing that.

I'll keep that in mind next time I'm getting something from Camel!  I haven't had a problem with mine but it's only been on it's side three times.  I don't run a tank bag at this point which might change down the road. Might as well have it fixed before then.