Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Leaky fuel cap?

Hammerhead

Question

Anyone else experienced a leaking petrol lid when your bike takes a trail nap?  

More so with a full(ish) tank, it has ranged from slightly oozing to downright piddling. Efforts to stop it revealed the severity definitely seems to be "position sensitive". 

Never liked the way the thing seems loose even when properly fitted, but depending  on where it's at when layed over it can result in some rather drastic leakage. 

Anyone familiar dealt with Yam on this yet? Is it a warranty issue they're solving? 

Last thing I want is the new tank bag getting polluted with petrol next time we get an little tipsy.

Edited by Hammerhead
  • Like 1

I have not installed it yet but I got the camel adv tank gasket(it is supposed to fix the leaking) when I got the "Brake fix". You might try that. Everything from Cory at Camel Adv. has been great.

4 hours ago, SKIPNOMAD said:

I have not installed it yet but I got the camel adv tank gasket(it is supposed to fix the leaking) when I got the "Brake fix". You might try that. Everything from Cory at Camel Adv. has been great.

Fitted the gasket late last year, it works

• Like 1

Obviously, you will not see fuel coming out of the fuel cap unless the tank is full or near full, when the fluid level is at or higher than the cap (with the bike on its side). Still, the cap releases fumes all the time as long as there is any fuel in the tank.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, T7_owner said:

Still, the cap releases fumes all the time as long as there is any fuel in the tank.

That has not been an issue that has been reported ( if at all) so it would be a good idea to have your dealer take a look at it. Leaking while on it's side is one issue, but fumes being released while upright is a new one on me.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS