Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

DIY Spacers for new grips

qInvention

Ok it's really no big thing but most aftermarket grips, especially heated grips are not as wide as OEM grips, so their installation leaves a gap between the handle grip and the bar end weights or the attachment point of your handguards.

Yamaha does sell spacers, which seem to be out of stock with most sellers as tells us @AZJW.

What you can do is to cut your own spacer simply out of the OEM grips. It's not perfect, but on the other hand it doesn't cost you a dime.

453861521_20201227_1951311.thumb.jpg.0a3abe0d0eba385d965a3220a7bd4373.jpg

This is what that looks like. 

1447375248_20201227_1951551.thumb.jpg.95ff20c252a01be05bd7c7e743d316d9.jpg

There's still some material left, just in case. 

• Like 4

Thats a great idea. I hate wraparound hand guards but might try using the large end against the hand guard. I tend to hold onto the bars at the very end and that would keep my hand from rubbing against the guard. Although the reality for me is the guards will come off and Acerbis Flag or something similar will go on.

Edited by NvNick

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, NvNick said:

Thats a great idea. I hate wraparound hand guards but might try using the large end against the hand guard. I tend to hold onto the bars at the very end and that would keep my hand from rubbing against the guard. Although the reality for me is the guards will come off and Acerbis Flag or something similar will go on.

@NvNick That's what I ended up doing, works fine. 

20210108_064415.jpg

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes - Mods - HDB handguards, Camel-ADV Gut guard, 1 finger clutch, The Fix pedal & Rally pipe, RR side/tail rack, RR 90nm spring & Headlight guard, Rally seat, OEM heated grips- stablemate Beta 520RS

That looks amazing.  So simple.  Good job in to NOT overthink this.  Well done!  

10 minutes ago, Hammy said:

I just ordered some Oxford's, so I'll be doing this...good call.

I installed mine yesterday. They are SO SO warm.

My advice, is take your time installing and don't be shy with the zip tie. I wired directly to the battery (despite my reservations) because the Oxford smart connector. I can always cut the wire and go directly into the connector later. I went for a ride last night and had to keep them on 20%.

Enjoy your toasty hands!

• Like 1