Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

flasher relay

shap

Bought a black one as a birthday present to myself (56 years and still going). Started riding at the age of 5 on a Z-50 my father bought off  his friend whose son graduated to an XR-75. I have had many bikes, though all have been used. Everything from an RD 400 to a CB750, and a CR125 to a KTM 1190. This is my first new bike, and I don’t want to screw it up. 

So, I bought the Yoshimura tail tidy, turn signals, and turn signal plug-n-play extensions. The kit came with a relay, but it has wires, and I don’t want to cut the existing loom. 

I see plug in flashers all over ebay and amazon, but I cannot determine which one will fit/work. Would anyone out there be able to steer me in the right direction?

Also, anyone else find the tranny a little off at times in regards to finding first at a light? Possible the first oil change might help?

Appreciate any help,

Shap

BF0515BB-719D-4737-9047-7F6A91B2B693.jpeg

Hi there 

ref the gearbox, like any bike it’s critical it gets run in using the running in oil up to a few hundred miles and use all gears gently but firmly they all suffer initially and can be a bit notchy in the lower gear range however try to change down before you stop as this will assist the selection mechanism .

as the miles rack up it becomes less of a problem.

the running in is a hot debate however me personally will be keeping mine for a long time and every bike deserves a gentle break in.

after run in go to fully synthetic oil which will assist more.

cant really help on the relay with seeing what you got to put on

Camel ADV stocks the correct flasher relays & likely your dealer does too. The  intermittent clunkyness of the gearbox should smooth out over time. Mine certainly has by 5000km.

• Like 2

Mines done 1500 miles just and is as good as any other bike ive owned. The  CP2 engines / gearbox s are a brilliant units and very capable 

Much appreciated gentlemen (I assume, no offense to anyone).

Added the Adventure Spec rack and a Nelson-Rigg bag to hold tools/tubes this weekend. Both are well made, albeit minimalist.

45D768EA-FB8E-4499-ADEB-410B5F1B4E58.jpeg

• Like 1

Viva old farts on black bikes!  🙂

and RD400s!

here's a googledoc of all sorts of ways you can waste your hard earned money - with links

eRNnL3eoAaaSuiGzcidI8pmonn4Nm3jM2788xSfZ

Sheet1 Item,Vendor,Model/part#,URL,Price,Comment/Notes USD$ ABS Sensor Guard,Xitomer,<a...

Cstatman, much appreciated. Yeah, not many of us left who remember the the late 70’s/early 80’s, and those who do either quit riding or are on harleys. 

Any chance you were into BMX in the 70’s? Webco? Redline? Motomags? Those were the days...no cellphones, no computers, no social media. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, shap said:

Cstatman, much appreciated. Yeah, not many of us left who remember the the late 70’s/early 80’s, and those who do either quit riding or are on harleys. 

Any chance you were into BMX in the 70’s? Webco? Redline? Motomags? Those were the days...no cellphones, no computers, no social media. 

Mongoose MotoMag II
Which was the lawnmowing money "step-up" from my Sears Spyder 5
one of my pals here just finished her perfect webco rebuild, that she rides!

Then I was old enough for motorcycles, and never turned back
DT400
RD400, 350, 250 & 50
BSA 441 AND 250
Kawi H2 (as an endurance roadracer)
Suzuki GT185 for commuting
Hodaka Wombat AND Combat Wombat

pulled the bikes to the roadrace track in a Corvair with a 2 rail trailer.

yeah,  yeah - I remember Watergate too.  😄

and - I do currently have a RoadKing in the garage,  it site between my 305 Superhawk and my T7

ALSO - this is the flasher relay I bought and installed on MY T7
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073J82PNF/

Edited by cstatman
  • Like 1

Hodaka! Haven’t heard that name in forever. Quite the assortment of bikes overall! 

I had a two rail also. Took my CR125 and my friend’s YZ125 to the local track every weekend towed behind a ‘69 Mustang with a 302 and a 4speed. 

I want a Harley...just can’t afford the one I want-yours, a Roadking. One of these days...

50 minutes ago, shap said:

Any chance you were into BMX in the 70’s? Webco? Redline? Motomags? Those were the days...no cellphones, no computers, no social

Hallelujah! Happy days indeed, i had a chrome mongoose bmx and ere great days indeed without the social tech!

• Like 1

We should start a special section for guys with grey hair who rode BMX and listened to everything from Zeppelin to Van Halen and AC/DC.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, shap said:

We should start a special section for guys with grey hair who rode BMX and listened to everything from Zeppelin to Van Halen and AC/DC.

by Grey hair --- are you discriminating against those of us with not much left?

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

Pre-Covid, Pre-CA fires,  the Oakland MC club hosted the "Sheetiron 300" every other year.   A dual sport ride from Stonyford to Ft. Bragg, 150 miles, spend night in Bragg, Back the next day -   Roll Charts, Hard/Easy Splits,  highway, fire roads, single track,  through some of Mendocino's most amazing and spectacular riding areas.

I was HOT Stuff  - an AFM roadracer, a SuperMoto Racer, an offroad rider on my kitted out XR650R
I knew I was FAST FAST FAST.

Went with some friends,.... including 78 yr old Gino and 67 yr old Fish.  on KTM 450 and 350 respectively.

That first day, watching Gino hit the first dirt stretch? on the gas with both wheels sliding, and the rear throwing rock,  sitting bold upright like it was a sunday ride to church? ... I learned... old guys KNOW things.  

Now I go to the local park and see all the young superstars on their polished frame 450s, etc..  I mean, these kids are SUPER FAST>    and get only a little upset when a tired bald old man passes them on the gas, on the black diamond trails, on a stock Honda CRF250L.     

Just a harmless old man --- nothing to see here..   putt putt putt........

I learned how to slide and jump on a Mongoose.  I learned to ride on a Honda 70 wearing cutoff toughskin jeans and a baseball hat.

Gino 's in his late 80s now,  and when he shows up to Metcalf Park?  I know I'm gonna get some free schoolin.

Old guys KNOW stuff.  🙂

Brother you are awesome! You should write more-I love reading it. Kind of reminds me of Peter Egan but with an edge to it like Hunter S. Thompson. 

Anyway, I’m in Florida, so if you are ever in the neighborhood let me know-I always have a bottle of Makers Mark ready for a few hours of shooting the sh*t.