Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Another T7 shock option

Firebolter

Nitron makes a pretty good shock. I have used one on a Z1000 and it worked well. Was looking around and found this on their site under the Yamaha section:

The Nitron Adventure Series Shocks were specifically engineered to meet the requirements and demanding conditions found in everything from the weekend adventure to the Dakar Rally. These shocks vastly improve the handling and capabilities of your adventure machine, and with a host of lightweight CNC-machined aluminum parts they also significantly reduce overall weight compared to your OEM shock. 

50831278293_e6045c2639_h.jpg

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Aleksandar13 said:

@Firebolter is this 200mm travel and what is the price... Looks good 👌

https://www.facebook.com/nitronracingsystems/posts/new-release-yamaha-tenere-700-full-range-of-rear-shock-upgrades-now-availablenit/3547752011902592/

Hyd Preload, Compression and rebound adjust.  I would assume travel is the same as stock.

J

Edited by Goldentaco
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goldentaco said:

https://www.facebook.com/nitronracingsystems/posts/new-release-yamaha-tenere-700-full-range-of-rear-shock-upgrades-now-availablenit/3547752011902592/

New release in September, the link doesn't show it on their site.  Can't find Tenere 700 product on wither UK site or the USA site.

Hyd Preload, Compression and rebound adjust.  I would assume travel is the same as stock.

J

The R1 version is a simplified road version with rebound and adjustment for compression on the same knob, I presume this is not optimal but wouldn't know as I'm no expert. Since I'm not riding off road.. The question here is... Would the R1 shock be better than stock or not worth the money.. As the stock one with spring to my weight works pretty good. 

Aleks 

Just now, Aleksandar13 said:

The R1 version is a simplified road version with rebound and adjustment for compression on the same knob, I presume this is not optimal but wouldn't know no expert. Since I'm not riding off road.. The question here is... Would the R1 shock be better than stock or not worth the money.. As the stock one with spring to my weight works pretty good. 

Aleks 

For some reason the links didn't work at first.  I looked over the three versions.

I would say the R1 would be better than stock just in that someone actually spent time to properly valve it correctly.  I'm not sure what Yamaha did to their stock unit but they need to go back to the drawing board.

I still can't tell what is different between the R2 and R3.  I think the R3 may have Hs Comp and Ls Comp and Rebound as it states 3-way independent damping for the R3 and Comp and Reb for the R2.

I've had a similar shock to the R1 on my old F650 Funduro.  It was actually the stock shock revalved for my weight.  It only had rebound/comp adjustment.  It was fine but when I increased loads offroad, I could have used the Comp adjustment to compensate.  On the road it was much much better than stock.

Since you use this for Road only (I think) you would probably be fine with the R1.

J

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goldentaco said:

For some reason the links didn't work at first.  I looked over the three versions.

I would say the R1 would be better than stock just in that someone actually spent time to properly valve it correctly.  I'm not sure what Yamaha did to their stock unit but they need to go back to the drawing board.

I still can't tell what is different between the R2 and R3.  I think the R3 may have Hs Comp and Ls Comp and Rebound as it states 3-way independent damping for the R3 and Comp and Reb for the R2.

I've had a similar shock to the R1 on my old F650 Funduro.  It was actually the stock shock revalved for my weight.  It only had rebound/comp adjustment.  It was fine but when I increased loads offroad, I could have used the Comp adjustment to compensate.  On the road it was much much better than stock.

Since you use this for Road only (I think) you would probably be fine with the R1.

J

That's definitely an option then, price looks very good as well... Need to think about this at some point.. 👍

Don't need to overkill the suspension with adjustment that I'm never going to use on the road. That's why I am after something that works once adjusted. 

Aleks 

3 hours ago, Aleksandar13 said:

That's definitely an option then, price looks very good as well... Need to think about this at some point.. 👍

Don't need to overkill the suspension with adjustment that I'm never going to use on the road. That's why I am after something that works once adjusted. 

Aleks 

Yes, their pricing is VERY competitive to the "other" well known brands and the quality of their stuff is top notch, as good as any other. Rebuildable by any suspension shop. Your point about:

"Don't need to overkill the suspension with adjustment that I'm never going to use on the road."

Is a very good one. I struggle with that alot when I am setting up a bike that is a 50/50 kinda deal. My personal opinion (for me I am saying), upgraded springs (which I did already front and back) is a great solution for 90% of the owners and riders of most mid to large ADV bikes. If I am gonna go ride somewhere where I am gonna pound it and be ready for ANYTHING that comes on the trail, I'll take my 500 EXCF before I would take a T7 on a ride like that anyway. My T7 will be for ADV rides and exploring the forest roads, commuting to work at times and finding new tracks and routes for DS rides for my club and friends etc. 

It is nice having options and while Ohlins is the "Gold" standard, there are options out there that are as good or better for less $$.

Edited by Firebolter
  • Like 1

NitronRacing are quite local to me, I looked on their website and for most, I think R2 would be a good choice. R3 is the equivalent of the TT Tractive and the RR shocks, as it has HI and Low adjustment. The hydraulic preload is an option, but it’s very competitively priced. All shocks are built to order and superb quality.

Edited by FredBasset
  • Like 3

It is great to have options.

Heard back from a  Penske dealer he would love to get his hands on a T7 to do development work.

Have not heard of elka  suspension getting one in the shop yet either.

This bike will be around a while.

Options are good! 

• Like 2

Comming soon!

Another wilbers option with external oil bottle added to the shock absorber by a nice looking CNC part.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-27 at 17.23.57.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Novorider said:

Hello, more info about Nitron Shock

Nitron R1 w/oil extender bottle & external preload set up 1.250$

Nitron R3 wo/oil extender bottle  699$

The R3  could be a very good quality/price option

Captura de pantalla 2021-01-28 085302.jpg

I was looking at this myself just for street use... 👍

Aleks 

Just had a Maxton RT 10 new rear shock fitted plus new fork springs... the differance is unbeliveable ill post some pics up at the weekend when i get time 👍

• Like 2

Havnt had a proper chance to ride her out yet but the 20 miles or so i did ride were brilliant, very plush. Most my riding is on the road so Maxtons the way to go for me and there only up the road 👍.

Richard at Maxtons said the rebound was a bit harsh on the standard front springs and the oil was like mud it was that thick so its had slightly stiffer springs thats sorted the rebound and a lighter oil put in. Now im no offroader at the best of times but i can tell already this suspension will be better on the rough stuff, just need to get out now...sodding lockdown 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 4:37 PM, B15ape 1981 said:

Havnt had a proper chance to ride her out yet but the 20 miles or so i did ride were brilliant, very plush. Most my riding is on the road so Maxtons the way to go for me and there only up the road 👍.

Richard at Maxtons said the rebound was a bit harsh on the standard front springs and the oil was like mud it was that thick so its had slightly stiffer springs thats sorted the rebound and a lighter oil put in. Now im no offroader at the best of times but i can tell already this suspension will be better on the rough stuff, just need to get out now...sodding lockdown 🤦‍♂️

Can I ask how much the maxton suspension work was?

8 hours ago, Solitary1 said:

Can I ask how much the maxton suspension work was?

Theres different shock options but for the one i opted for it was about £850 all in 👍

• Supporting Vendor

I've gone through a bunch of different shock brands on various ADV bikes. The best ride and longevity I've had so far is from TFX in the Netherlands.

I installed a TFX on my Africa Twin after having issues with two other brands of aftermarket shocks over-heating causing the shock oil cook, heat-fade/pogo sticking in rough terrain, leaking etc. Their shock reservoirs would be running hot enough that they'd burn your hand if you touched them.  The decals turned brown and literally bubbled. 

I have a TFX on the T7 and it's ride quality is as impressive as the one on my AT. It puts up with my size (approaching 300lbs in full gear) pounding through washed-out desert two-track at speed. I can't recommend them enough.

http://tfxsuspension.com/shop-search/

• Like 2

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com

1 hour ago, Camel ADV said:

I've gone through a bunch of different shock brands on various ADV bikes. The best ride and longevity I've had so far is from TFX in the Netherlands.

I installed a TFX on my Africa Twin after having issues with two other brands of aftermarket shocks over-heating causing the shock oil cook, heat-fade/pogo sticking in rough terrain, leaking etc. Their shock reservoirs would be running hot enough that they'd burn your hand if you touched them.  The decals turned brown and literally bubbled. 

I have a TFX on the T7 and it's ride quality is as impressive as the one on my AT. It puts up with my size (approaching 300lbs in full gear) pounding through washed-out desert two-track at speed. I can't recommend them enough.

http://tfxsuspension.com/shop-search/

I don't see them listing a Tenere 700, T7, or XTZ690, XTZ700 or any other variations of the model.  Which shock are you running?

J

• Like 1

I am guessing they just haven't updated their website yet, because Teknik in Aus  and Off The Road are both selling a TFX shock for our bikes.

It is the TFX 142 piggyback model they sell.

TFX Yamaha Tenere 700 Shock Piggy back with comp and rebound adjustment HPA Included Ohlins YA818

tfx-142-shock-fdederbein-stossd_mpfer-ya

TFX 142 Piggyback shock with Reservoir Yamaha Tenere 700 - TFX has developed a great shock for the Yamaha Tenere 700. Special made for the needs of world traveller, rally pilots, and trail / touring r

• Supporting Vendor
7 hours ago, Goldentaco said:

I don't see them listing a Tenere 700, T7, or XTZ690, XTZ700 or any other variations of the model.  Which shock are you running?

J

That's really strange. I sent them an email to see what's up. Will let you know when I hear back.

Bits and pieces for your adventure bike. Camel-ADV.com