Yamaha Tenere 700 Forum

Hippo hands

DORTx2

So I, like many of you refuse to quit riding when it gets colder outside. Being from Canada it gets really cold and by far the worst parts of my winter rides were my hands freezing off. This lead me to trying out a set of hippo hands. I bought a set and I was blown away with how effective they were, but I had one issue where I had a lot of wind leakage around where the mirrors sit in the cover and on long rides my hands were still getting cold.

Anyways I emailed the guys at hippo hands about it and they just so happened to be coming out with a new design and they sent me the new ones completely free of charge, they have been an absolute dream to work with. I just received the new set and all I can say about them is they are awesome. Completely fixed the issue I was having and they have been beefed up significantly, the new design looks awesome too.

I felt like with the superior customer service I received I was obligated to spread the good word and hopefully spare some of you guys from frozen fingers.

Hippo hands.jpg

• Like 1

They look good and cheers for the heads up, would like to see some on the bike pics if you able

10 hours ago, Matth said:

They look good and cheers for the heads up, would like to see some on the bike pics if you able

Unfortunately I can't snag any pics right now of the new ones on my bike but I have some bad pics of the old ones.

IMG_20201111_0719499.jpg

IMG_20201119_0656268.jpg

i had a set of Hippo Hands on a RD200 in the early 1980s.

im interested to hear how you like them.  I dont ride in cold enough climate at the moment to justify,  but I like they are still in buiness

Interested in these. I rode my T7 for a few thousand kilometers in the fall in Yukon / Northern BC and my hands suffered immensely, even with heated grips. By the time I got home my hands were f$@ked. I lost 50% of my hand strength for the first time in my life. Very weird not to have hand strength. It has been 4 months since that ride and my hands are coming back slowly (~90%). So next up for me are hand guards that actually block most of the wind and some type of big oven-mitt type over-glove for when it gets cold.

I have a set of the adventure sized ones you can use while standing, they are not big enough to keep my hands warm, eventually the hands get too cold. even with heated grips. Need a larger set of them for the cold weather 🙂

Mike

pal of mine turned me onto a trick that may help.  he swore by latex gloves under your riding gloves.  blocks the wind. -  I do that too , when its cold

Sorry to hear about your hands Y-Pete, hope for speedier recovery

7 hours ago, MikeCMP said:

I have a set of the adventure sized ones you can use while standing, they are not big enough to keep my hands warm, eventually the hands get too cold. even with heated grips. Need a larger set of them for the cold weather 🙂

Mike

Glad you posted that. I was wondering if the smaller adventure ones would work. That would make accessing the handlebars easier. But not worth it if they don’t work. Now that I’ve installed heated grips, might have to get a set. My heated gloves work great but a bit of time to put together. Hippo hands for shorter rides might be the trick.

Those look great! Looking forward to a review. I've been using these OBR muffs for a few years and really like them. They do not fully seal, so they're more of a 3-sided wind break. But combined with heated grips, they do a great job. And they're easy on/off even with handguards. 

IMG_5188__55029.1544410400.386.513.jpg?c

Adventure ready products that are designed by riders for riders!

On 1/19/2021 at 9:29 PM, wncrider said:

Glad you posted that. I was wondering if the smaller adventure ones would work. That would make accessing the handlebars easier. But not worth it if they don’t work. Now that I’ve installed heated grips, might have to get a set. My heated gloves work great but a bit of time to put together. Hippo hands for shorter rides might be the trick.

I think they are better than nothing,  it honestly surprised how cold my hands still get. I even got a little heavier pair of gloves and that didn’t help either. 

Mike